eBaY Shipping Calculator -> GONE WACKY

Anyone else getting this happening to them - for some reason when we post an item that has CALCULATED SHIPPING COSTS chosen and fill-out the information like weight and dimension and then proceed to post the item only to find the there either no shipping costs showing and/or only the rate for Canada show but the US rate is not shown.

When we edit the ad listing we see that the shipping weight is either 62.8LBS or sometimes it is 125LBS and once it showed 825LBS.

We are getting alot of emails saying " Your shipping calculator is not working" or "I will not bid until I get a firm shipping quote - you sellers should be forced to show shipping costs". The last one is particularily disturbing since this person thinks we are purposely not showing our shipping costs.

Our worst fears came true the recently when a bidder bid on an auction and won then requested shipping costs and once informed of the costs he stated to us that it was excessive and that he would only pay US$6 given that it would only cost us US$1.00 to send it to him.

We obviously refused so we requested we cancel the auction which we did via M.A.C.A. Once the auction was cancelled he immediately left us a negative - nice eh!

Thanks eBaY - I just can imagine how the next few months people like this will be coming out in hords to prey on unsuspecting sellers.

PS -> eBaY's response to the shipping calculator was NOT TO USE IT and use fixed price instead - this is what they told me flat out -- first they market the crap out of it and then turn around and tell us not to use it - go figure.
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

mister_shisha
Community Member
Same problem here, the calculator made me lose many sales for over a month. Some customers were kind enough to let me know about it and wait while I fixed the listing from calculated to flat. Problem only effected US buyers.

eBay told me to do this and do that, nothing worked and now I had to change all my listings to show calculated for Canada and flat for USA... Oh well.. I can't afford to lose more sales and still pay listing fees on them!

--------------------------------------------------------
They are setting us up to fail

--------------------------------------------------------
"Hooked on Hookah!"
Mr.Shisha
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I guess we are the only ones with this problem mister_shisha
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Wow - so no other sellers on here are experiencing this problem with the shipping calculator !!!!!

Or are the rest of you just way too busy to respond or have come to accept this crappy code they have released?

Perhaps if more of us complained here we just might get their attention long enough to have some pink raise it as an issue.

So just say NE or YE if you are experiencing this problem too.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
I don't use their shipping calculator so it doesn't affect me.

Sorry, can't help.
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

duujogl
Community Member
I've always used flat rate so I can't help either. Given the problems with sales tax, I wouldn't even think of using a shipping calculator provided by eBay!
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I don't use their shipping calculator so it doesn't affect me.

've always used flat rate so I can't help either. Given the problems with sales tax, I wouldn't even think of using a shipping calculator provided by eBay!

Ditto! I saw my competitor, a new seller, trying to use it and it calculated way too high shipping...either that or she messed up somewhere.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I do not use a shipping calculator. Much easier to flat rate all my shipping.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I don't use the lit your item form, but do my listings in TL. For my items that I list on .ca I cannot get the auctions to launch if I enter the particulars. I have had ongoing emails with support for over 2 weeks and no solution yet. I was told I had a corrupted file in TL. The 1st fix supplied totally corrupted my TL - had to delete the program and d/l fresh. The 60 or so listings I had in inventory and all my templates were exported to save so I could import them back to the clean version. That also failed. My auctions in the new t/l will still not load with shipping info included.

Ebay is pushing us to show this on our listings, but not providing accurate tools to do the job. I mail mostly items that have to go expedited to the US and are also expensive within Canada so flat rate is not an option for me. I can't afford to eat any of the mailing costs.

When is ebay going to realize we are not all the same and stop trying to cram us all into the same little box......OBVIOUSLY NEVER!
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

i alawys use flat s&h rates, don't like it, don't bid but honestly it takes time to pack up stuff, drive to post office and wait in line for the teenager clerk
Message 10 of 10
latest reply