eBay Announces Kijiji: Please let us know your feedback here

carly@ebay.com
Community Member
eBay Launches International Classifieds Websites

We would like to announce our launch of online classifieds Web sites in select international markets. Launched under the brand Kijiji, which means “village” in Swahili, the Web sites offer people in the same city a convenient way to meet, have fun, share ideas, and trade various goods and services.

Kijiji is now available in more than 50 cities in Canada, China, France, Germany, Italy, and Japan. In Canada, Kijiji is available in French only in Montreal and Quebec City. From building friendships and trading large appliances to talking about the city’s best restaurants or looking for a babysitter, Kijiji is designed to help people connect.

We encourage you to visit the Kijiji site, post a classified, and tell us what your experience has been. Is it easy to use? Do you like the site? Would you use Kijiji?

Kijiji

eBay Pink, Kitty will be reading this thread and answering your questions.

Regards,
Carly
Message 1 of 295
latest reply
294 REPLIES 294

wendi789
Community Member
I would not use Kijiji. As I don't speak French.

Was any marketing thought put into the site? English (as per my quick research, thanks to google) is always in the top 3 spot for the most spoken language in the world. One and two spots were taken up by Mandarin and Spanish. Why would you start a French site that only 31% of Canada can use? (again thanks to Google and Stats Can 2001 Census)

Message 2 of 295
latest reply

quatsinosound
Community Member
Would not use it either, don't speak french __________________________________________________________________________

Living the Lifestyle of the Poor and Unknown
Message 3 of 295
latest reply

Back in 1776 when the US was forming it's country, they were voting on their official language. English won by a sliver over German. Will German be offered as an official language in the US? How about Spanish only in Texas, California, and Peurto Rica?

English is the world's official language for air transportation.
Photobucket
Message 4 of 295
latest reply

nickie*nine*doors
Community Member
I'm confused by the first 3 replies. The way I read Carly's announcement, Kijiji is available in 50 cities within Canada, and is available in French within Montreal and Quebec City. That would mean it's in English for the other 48 Canadian cities. Right?

I wouldn't be looking for a babysitter on the net, anyway, in English or in French.
Message 5 of 295
latest reply

nickie*nine*doors
Community Member
Oh my...just went to the link. It IS only in French for Canada. Oh well !
Message 6 of 295
latest reply

benne0070_1
Community Member
That is 50 cities worldwide with only Montreal and Quebec City in Canada.

You would think they would have sense enough to at least offer 1 city in French and 1 city in English.

Must be another American idea that we are all French and it snows all year round.

Photobucket

Message 7 of 295
latest reply

tippi-canoe
Community Member
Why would you start a French site that only 31% of Canada can use?

why not?

It seems that French-speaking Canadians usually get the short end of the stick...be it contests that persons in Quebec cannot participate, or french translation of games, movies, etc... why all the hubbub about the site being available in french first?

and before anyone makes any assumptions, I do not speak french. I didn't retain very much of it, in spite of the 8 years of school instruction.
*~Carolyn~*
Message 8 of 295
latest reply

dietpepsiluvr
Community Member
USA didn't even get a board, LOL. Dogs have owners - cats have STAFF 🙂
Message 9 of 295
latest reply

3*canadian*angels
Community Member
Wouldn't use it either as I don't speak French. What's the rationale for only offering in French anyway?
---------------------------------
The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat. --- Lily Tomlin
Message 10 of 295
latest reply

kashka
Community Member
hahaha..two Canadian cities..both in french..why not one english...one french.Not rocket science ya know.
Message 11 of 295
latest reply

srmama
Community Member
Well, as I don't speak or read French - I guess I will wait to see if one from Western Canada comes on line, then I will take a peak.
Message 12 of 295
latest reply

rock*n*wonderland
Community Member
I can't check it out either:(
Message 13 of 295
latest reply

coven1
Community Member
I wonder how many people would spell it incorrectly. Who picked that name?

*wagglepop* comes to mind *cough*
Message 14 of 295
latest reply

rock*n*wonderland
Community Member
ha ha you mean there really are that many dots?.....Ithought it was my blurry eyes!;-)
Message 15 of 295
latest reply

able-wizard1957
Community Member
I suspect that they are launching in French first because of the uproar that was raised about a bunch of things that were not available to Quebec thanks to the language police there.....I would bet we see it in English before too long.

Bud
Message 16 of 295
latest reply

buysellwizards
Community Member
Hello there!
Can't really check out your site considering it's only in French.
If you can give us a link to an English one, then we can check it out. 🙂
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Message 17 of 295
latest reply

albertagirl0
Community Member
where are the 48 english cities?
Message 18 of 295
latest reply

nickie*nine*doors
Community Member
Slightly OT, I might get slammed for this, but I think the Quebec Language Law is the most Unconstitutional thing in all of North America, and goes against basic rights. I just don't understand how that stupid law is even allowed to exist in this country!! Can you imagine if Ontario passed the same law, but for English? -- that all shop signs must be in English Only, and that everything must be in English Only? And if there were "English Police" That's completely ridiculous !!

BTW, I am not anti-French. Both my kids attend French immersion school. I believe the more languages you are familiar with, the better.

I am just so against the French Language Law. I don't think it has anything to do with "culture" preservation. You can retain and practice your culture, regardless of what your next-door neighbour is doing. This law has done nothing but increase tension in that province, and fuel the separatist movement. Why can't they just learn to accept all cultures and languages of people who are willing to live and work in their province?

OK, venting over.
Now back to your regularly scheduled programme.......
Message 19 of 295
latest reply

kensmith20000
Community Member
Ok, I checked out Montreal. It just started so there was nothing listed in any of the categories I clicked on. A lot of things in Paris. Don't forget there is no eBay French Canadian listing site and ebay on the road consistently ignores Quebec. All we have is one small token discussion board le cafe francophone.
Message 20 of 295
latest reply