eBay Spring 2017 seller update

Hi Canadian sellers,

This is the thread reserved for discussion around the 2017 Spring Seller Update announced today.

Read the Update,

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Re: eBay Spring 2017 seller update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dutchman48 wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Please allow me to butt-in. Third-party advertising -- the offebay sites that drag buyers away from our listings to purchase often from direct competition -- will be eliminated. That is good news. 

Read very carefully as it is not being eliminated totally and I have a hunch many will be replaced by promoted listings.

You are correct dutchman48. The idea is to replace 3rd party ads that take buyers off ebay with our own ads aka Promoted Listings, from our own sellers, keeping more buyers on ebay. 

Message 21 of 61
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mjwl2006 wrote:
It seemed clear to me it was being replaced by Promoted Listings. I don't have a problem competing against other eBay sellers but large third-party corporations I do.

Yes, precisely. 

Message 22 of 61
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Please allow me to butt-in. Third-party advertising -- the offebay sites that drag buyers away from our listings to purchase often from direct competition -- will be eliminated. That is good news. 

Read very carefully as it is not being eliminated totally and I have a hunch many will be replaced by promoted listings.

You are correct dutchman48. The idea is to replace 3rd party ads that take buyers off ebay with our own ads aka Promoted Listings, from our own sellers, keeping more buyers on ebay. 

And if there are no promoted ads similar to your product, will you then get 3rd party ads?

And what about Canadian listings  when there are no promoted listings available yet?

Message 23 of 61
latest reply

Well, by my calculations in the categories I sell in, these updates will cost me an additional 15% in FVF, not counting the increase on shipping which is ridiculous here.

Additionally TL is going away at the same time so I will have to use a paid service as well.  It will get to the point they may lose me as a seller and also as a buyer.

If Ebay calls that a win, so be it.

I will definitely downgrade my store when renewal time comes and then see what happens after that

Message 24 of 61
latest reply

Your shipping solution seems to have some merit. I am going to plot out a few scenarios and see if it might be of benefit to me. Sounds like a nice (and legal) workaround.

As for the new level of store, I think I telephoned eBay about 10 or 12 times and spoke with supervisors regarding this matter and really didn't gain any traction with them. I also posted about it, but the post soon veered off topic, if I recall correctly.

At one time I was an anchor store owner, but had to downgrade back to premium when the new store parameters came about (in the last spring update, I think). The new anchor store was too expensive with too many listings and would have taken more time than I have to make full use of it and service it properly.

So I was kind of stuck between being too small for an anchor store and a little too big for a premium store. I suggested to eBay it would be nice for sellers such as myself (and I am sure there are plenty of others), who would jump at the chance to subscribe to a store in the 3,000-4,500 listing category. It would be a good bump up from the current premium level, and much less daunting than the anchor level.

Presumably, the pricing would also fall somewhere in between the current premium and anchor levels.

I recently added a second user name to start building up another account with the thought of adding a second premium store in cass eBay didn't introduce a new level.

Hopefully a new level does come about sometime.

Thanks for your reply.

Message 25 of 61
latest reply

Because of these increases, are we going to be able to close or downgrade our store without penalty?

Or will it be the normal reply, suck it up, cost of doing business, live with it, or just a blunt NO?

Message 26 of 61
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dutchman48 wrote:

And if there are no promoted ads similar to your product, will you then get 3rd party ads?

And what about Canadian listings  when there are no promoted listings available yet?

Hi dutchman48.

The idea is to remove all the product listing ads on the com site effective May 1st. There will still be some advertising on the site, but there will no longer be product listing ads.

Details of precisely how the promoted listing ads will work on ebay.ca are still being worked out and will be announced at a later date. 

Message 27 of 61
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@4991jack wrote:

Your shipping solution seems to have some merit. I am going to plot out a few scenarios and see if it might be of benefit to me. Sounds like a nice (and legal) workaround.

As for the new level of store, I think I telephoned eBay about 10 or 12 times and spoke with supervisors regarding this matter and really didn't gain any traction with them. I also posted about it, but the post soon veered off topic, if I recall correctly.

At one time I was an anchor store owner, but had to downgrade back to premium when the new store parameters came about (in the last spring update, I think). The new anchor store was too expensive with too many listings and would have taken more time than I have to make full use of it and service it properly.

So I was kind of stuck between being too small for an anchor store and a little too big for a premium store. I suggested to eBay it would be nice for sellers such as myself (and I am sure there are plenty of others), who would jump at the chance to subscribe to a store in the 3,000-4,500 listing category. It would be a good bump up from the current premium level, and much less daunting than the anchor level.

Presumably, the pricing would also fall somewhere in between the current premium and anchor levels.

I recently added a second user name to start building up another account with the thought of adding a second premium store in cass eBay didn't introduce a new level.

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks 4991jack. I'll make sure this feedback gets to the right people. 

In the meantime, if it helps, I'd like to point out a little not-so-secret tip: your free listing entitlement is per ebay site. So for a seller subscribing to a premium store on either ca or com, you get 1000 free fixed price listings. But... if you are open to listing on both ebay.ca and ebay.com, then you can actually list 1000 items for free on ebay.com and 1000 for free on ebay.ca, effectively doubling the benefit you get for your subscription dollar. Similarly, your 500 free auction listings can be 500 on ca, and 500 on com. 

Hope this helps!

Message 28 of 61
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dutchman48 wrote:

Because of these increases, are we going to be able to close or downgrade our store without penalty?

Or will it be the normal reply, suck it up, cost of doing business, live with it, or just a blunt NO?

That's a good questions dutchman48.

For other folks' benefit, I believe dutchman is talking about the annual subscription plan.

I'd like to think that they'd accommodate you in a case like this, but I don't know what the answer is. If you end up trying to do that and they aren't able to accommodate you, let me know, and I'll see what I can do. 

Message 29 of 61
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@4991jack wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks 4991jack. I'll make sure this feedback gets to the right people. 

In the meantime, if it helps, I'd like to point out a little not-so-secret tip: your free listing entitlement is per ebay site. So for a seller subscribing to a premium store on either ca or com, you get 1000 free fixed price listings. But... if you are open to listing on both ebay.ca and ebay.com, then you can actually list 1000 items for free on ebay.com and 1000 for free on ebay.ca, effectively doubling the benefit you get for your subscription dollar. Similarly, your 500 free auction listings can be 500 on ca, and 500 on com. 

Hope this helps!

It does help, and I was aware of that. Thanks.

Message 30 of 61
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

For other folks' benefit, I believe dutchman is talking about the annual subscription plan.

I'd like to think that they'd accommodate you in a case like this, but I don't know what the answer is. If you end up trying to do that and they aren't able to accommodate you, let me know, and I'll see what I can do. 

Hi Rodney

I called CS and they said they could do it and the early termination fee is supposed to be credited back to my account in 24 to 48 hours.

I will check it and let you know if it was refunded.

John

Message 31 of 61
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

Hi Rodney

I called CS and they said they could do it and the early termination fee is supposed to be credited back to my account in 24 to 48 hours.

John

Hi Rodney

Just confirming that the early termination fee for downgrading has been credited back to my account.

John

Message 32 of 61
latest reply

I WANTED TO ASK AS WELL ABOUT THE STORE CREDIT FOR SHIPPING SUPPLIES, IS THERE ANY CHANCE OF GETTING THIS FIGURED OUT, THERE IS VERY LITTLE AMOUNT OF ITEMS TO BUY, AND MOST DON'T FIT OUR NEEDS, AT TWICE THE PRICE WE HAVE TO PAY.. ANY CHANCE OF USING THIS CREDIT TO BUY ADDITIONAL LISTING CREDITS.. OOPS SORRY FOR THE CAPS., I JUST NOTICED//

I would love to recieve additional free listings instead of a store credit..so instead of my 35$ to buy supplies, perhaps you could offer an additional 350 -30 day listings..

Message 33 of 61
latest reply

That is never going to happen as it would be directly out of Ebay's income.

Message 34 of 61
latest reply

Great idea though, for those of us who can't use the shipping supplies. I havent used any of my coupons so far and probably won't.

Message 35 of 61
latest reply

Can someone explain why sellers in the U.K. Get site visibility in Canada for free but we have to pay 50 cents per? Please tell me I'm misinterpreting this:

"Don’t forget, if you’re a Featured or Anchor Shop subscriber residing in the UK, you also get inclusive Good ‘Til Cancelled and 30-day listings in 13 additional countries, including the US, Canada, Germany, France, Italy, Spain and Australia.
In fact, you get the same allowance as sellers with Shops based in those countries, at no extra cost. For example, UK subscribers can create fixed price, Good ’Til Cancelled and 30-day listings on our international sites in 13 other countries..." from http://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/business/news/spring2017/fees-update?targetgroup=B2C
Message 36 of 61
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
Can someone explain why sellers in the U.K. Get site visibility in Canada for free but we have to pay 50 cents per? Please tell me I'm misinterpreting this:

"Don’t forget, if you’re a Featured or Anchor Shop subscriber residing in the UK, you also get inclusive Good ‘Til Cancelled and 30-day listings in 13 additional countries, including the US, Canada, Germany, France, Italy, Spain and Australia.
In fact, you get the same allowance as sellers with Shops based in those countries, at no extra cost. For example, UK subscribers can create fixed price, Good ’Til Cancelled and 30-day listings on our international sites in 13 other countries..." from http://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/business/news/spring2017/fees-update?targetgroup=B2C

I don't think this is the 50 cent International Visibility option. I this the U.K. seller gets the same amount of insertion fee  free listings on other sites. Like we get the same amount of free listings on eBay.ca and eBay.com by listing directly on each site. But it sounds like they can get the free listings on many sites, 13 sites, depending on their store level.

Interesting perk if true for a U.K. Seller to list on English sites like eBay.ca Canada, eBay.com USA, eBay Australia. Much harder for listing directly on eBay.de Germany and other sites where language is not English. But the link says they will translate the listing. Seems like a huge perk. I wonder if it is because they are GSP site. And with UK leaving the European Community sounds like a big perk.

But I doubt Russ can comment too much on the UK Seller Update since not relevant to the eBay.ca and eBay.com Seller Update which is what this forum is about.

Message 37 of 61
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Pocomocomputing.

We'll be back on the boards with a weekly recurring thread starting the week of March 20th. 🙂

Thank you for the announcement of the date of the return of the weekly session.

Message 38 of 61
latest reply

What is happening with the Seller Hub?

What is happening with Turbo Lister?

No information in this Seller Update on these two items.

Supposedly based on earlier Seller Updates the Hub is being implemented by June on eBay.com. It has been in use there for months. What about eBay.ca and eBay.cafr?

Supposedly the Hub is to have some Turbo Lister features incorporated into the Hub. But what has never been defined. TL users work offline to prepare listing for upload and to manage their listing and can save old listings indefinitely. I have all my listings from 2009 in case I come across the same item again so I do not need to research the item again. I would like to not lose that work.

Is the Hub coming to eBay.ca soon? Will it have the missing TL features to upload offline and save old listing too on your computer before TL is dropped. What is going on with the Hub and TL?

Message 39 of 61
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dutchman48 wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

Hi Rodney

John

Hi Rodney

Just confirming that the early termination fee for downgrading has been credited back to my account.

John

Thank you. Great to  know they were able to help you out.

Message 40 of 61
latest reply