eBay buyer protection for 45 days is a joke.

Recently I purchased a key from US for about$95. The seller shipped quickly (provided the tracking#). However, the item returned to the seller in about 4 weeks (never reached me). The seller sent again. I received just about 40 days the original transaction. I found it's not as described and contacted the seller. The seller acknowledged will send me the right one and provided RAM#. I sent the item back with registered mail and have the proof it's delivered. The seller ignores my request to respond when will send me replacement. The seller never respond again. I called them and contacted both eBay & payPal - they telling me passed 45 days nothing they can do - expect sent a strong worded email to the seller. My experience tells me eBay buyer protection is a joke. I'll avoid use eBay from now on.

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

If you knew you only had 45 days to open a dispute, why didn't you?

Even if everything is going smoothly, and it's getting close to 45 days, you should open a dispute.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

When I first started buying here I did that kind of thing all the time.

When you're a serious ebay buyer and also with experience, you learn how to do it "right."

BUT........ for the casual shopper and new ebayer who isn't thinking along the lines of disputes and returns, it can be a real nuisance to stay ahead of the game.

Life gets in the way and before you know it.......... time's up and you've lost your money.

For those of us to whom ebay is part of what we do every day it's a different story.

Cal, if you backed your purchase with a credit card........... call the credit card company and they may be able to help you.

Also, when you returned the item did you do so within the 45 day time frame?

If so, then I would call paypal again and explain that you have tracking to prove that it was send before the 45 days had passed.

IMO that would work but you have to get the right person on the phone.

Paypal workers are much easier to explain things to than ebay workers are.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

110phil
Community Member

I have a similar experience ... purchased from a US seller, got a msg with tracking number, item never arrived, tracking number shows nothing.  Didn't know there was a 45 day limit, gave extra time since it was from the USA to Canada.

Seller won't respond to messages.  Anyone have any luck with PayPal/Credit Card?  I'll try ebay first, but from comments here it doesn't sound like that'll work.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

110..... I'm not sure about your case, but to me it sounded like cal_buyer1 may have shipped the item back just before the 45 days had passed.

????

If so then there's a good chance there would be buyer protection because it was shipped with tracking.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

From what I have read your Credit Card Company has 60 days limit to do a chargeback.
Do call them with all the information and proof that you have RETURNED the
item. I have never done that but seems to work. Good luck.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply