free shipping international

Don't understand free shipping.. I will ship free for buy it now price to Canada and USA .  Does that mean if I include United Kingdom, Europe and Australia that the free shipping applies? How do I list that.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Not necessarily.

If you are listing on eBaydotCA, you will be able to choose either Flat Rate or Calculated Shipping.

For Free Shipping within Canada, just click on the box that shows in Flat Rate.

Now, for any other country.

Start with USA. Choose Custom Location. Choose USA.

If you want to ship free to the USA insert $0.00 as the shipping charge.

However, you can still get the benefit to your DSRs and FVF whether you charge any shipping to the USA or not.

Your FVF is based on the first domestic shipping charge.

So whether you charge $0.00 or $10.oo to ship to the USA you will not be charged the 9% FVF on the $10.oo.

BUT

Free shipping is not free. It means you have included the cost of shipping in the asking price of the item.

So if you want $10 for the item and shipping within Canada is $10, you would set an asking price of $20.

Here's the tricky part, it is not unusual for shipping to the USA to be lower than within Canada. Say for example shipping to the USA would be $8.00. Do you add $10 to the asking price or or $8? Are you more likely to sell to the USA or to Canada? Would you like your US customers to subsidize your Canadian customers?

Since shipping overseas by Air Mail (and you should only use Air Mail, believe me on this one) is so expensive, it is best to choose Calculated Shipping->Custom Location-> choose your destinations and let the system tell your customer what shipping will be. The problem here is that your asking price for Canada and the USA already includes some of the shipping cost. High shipping makes buyers wary.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Not necessarily.

If you are listing on eBaydotCA, you will be able to choose either Flat Rate or Calculated Shipping.

For Free Shipping within Canada, just click on the box that shows in Flat Rate.

Now, for any other country.

Start with USA. Choose Custom Location. Choose USA.

If you want to ship free to the USA insert $0.00 as the shipping charge.

However, you can still get the benefit to your DSRs and FVF whether you charge any shipping to the USA or not.

Your FVF is based on the first domestic shipping charge.

So whether you charge $0.00 or $10.oo to ship to the USA you will not be charged the 9% FVF on the $10.oo.

BUT

Free shipping is not free. It means you have included the cost of shipping in the asking price of the item.

So if you want $10 for the item and shipping within Canada is $10, you would set an asking price of $20.

Here's the tricky part, it is not unusual for shipping to the USA to be lower than within Canada. Say for example shipping to the USA would be $8.00. Do you add $10 to the asking price or or $8? Are you more likely to sell to the USA or to Canada? Would you like your US customers to subsidize your Canadian customers?

Since shipping overseas by Air Mail (and you should only use Air Mail, believe me on this one) is so expensive, it is best to choose Calculated Shipping->Custom Location-> choose your destinations and let the system tell your customer what shipping will be. The problem here is that your asking price for Canada and the USA already includes some of the shipping cost. High shipping makes buyers wary.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply