global shipping rip off

Stay clear of anyone using Global Shipping. HUGE additional charges are added that Canadians wouldn't normally pay. AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. I won't go near a seller using this program again!

Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

global shipping rip off

marnotom!
Community Member

There's piles of threads on the subject of the Global Shipping Program.  The consensus is that it's not a good fit for lightweight, modestly-priced items that are likely not going to get taxed by Canada Border Services if sent through the mail, even if taxes are owing on them.

There's even an information page on the .com site for the GSP that says that it's not really suitable for items valued at under $50 that can be shipped by the equivalent of small packet.

Unfortunately, some U.S. sellers have unwittingly opted into this program without realizing it or else they've not done their homework before adopting it.

I am confused as to why you purchased a GSP item in the first place, however.  Weren't the charges to buyers associated with it on the listing page in the first place?

Message 2 of 67
latest reply

global shipping rip off

Don't see any items you purchased lately that were sent by Global shipping.

Message 3 of 67
latest reply

global shipping rip off

No. I learned from my poor friend who paid over $40.00 in charges for the additional fees through Global Shipping. After that, I cancelled all items I had been watching/considering if it involved Global Shipping. That certainly made me look more closely at the auction listings.

Anyone can see the charges listed in the auctions: shipping, then 'import fees'; which continue to rise if the auction price increases, and I have LOTS of experience with the fact that in over 1000 US purchases I have never paid taxes, or duty, or Customs fees. NEVER. Not so hard to see this program is a bad deal is it.

Message 4 of 67
latest reply

global shipping rip off

"I have LOTS of experience with the fact that in over 1000 US purchases I have never paid taxes, or duty, or Customs fees. NEVER."

One more Canadian poster who never paid GST/HST on over 1,000 imports.

Message 5 of 67
latest reply

global shipping rip off

@taramialee wrote:

Anyone can see the charges listed in the auctions: shipping, then 'import fees'; which continue to rise if the auction price increases, and I have LOTS of experience with the fact that in over 1000 US purchases I have never paid taxes, or duty, or Customs fees. NEVER. Not so hard to see this program is a bad deal is it.

Um, why wouldn't the import charges increase as the auction price rises?  Do you pay more sales tax on a $100 item or a $150 item?

As far as the GSP being a "bad deal," you're doing the right thing by starting to read listing pages more closely.  Now you just have to do the number crunching, as well.  I've found quite a few listings for more expensive items where the GSP actually works out to be a decent enough deal, even with the import charges thrown in.

Message 6 of 67
latest reply

global shipping rip off

@pierrelebel wrote:

"I have LOTS of experience with the fact that in over 1000 US purchases I have never paid taxes, or duty, or Customs fees. NEVER."

One more Canadian poster who never paid GST/HST on over 1,000 imports.

My wife and I have been buying items online since the late 1990's.  I'd say that since around 2004, the odds of Canada Border Services taxing our postal imports has lessened, and since the Conservatives took power in 2006 the odds have nosedived.  (We're in B.C.  Results may vary according to the entry point used.)

In fairness to posters such as the one above, we may be looking at a "generation" of Canadian eBay buyers who believe that taxed postal imports are the exception rather than the norm.

Message 7 of 67
latest reply

global shipping rip off

"since the Conservatives took power in 2006 the odds have nosedived. '

That is correct.

"Canadian eBay buyers who believe that taxed postal imports are the exception rather than the norm."

I agree with that.  However, I have a credibility problem with statements claiming over 1,000 imports without ever paying tax.  Now, in some instances, it is possible to check a poster's buying history and see that all purchases were below $20 therefore tax exempt.

Once again, GSP is not meant for these low priced items.  Many posts have already explained the subject

A few posters use a posting ID and it is impossible to verify credibility.

Message 8 of 67
latest reply

global shipping rip off

@pierrelebel wrote:

"Canadian eBay buyers who believe that taxed postal imports are the exception rather than the norm."

I agree with that.  However, I have a credibility problem with statements claiming over 1,000 imports without ever paying tax.  Now, in some instances, it is possible to check a poster's buying history and see that all purchases were below $20 therefore tax exempt.

Once again, GSP is not meant for these low priced items.  Many posts have already explained the subject

A few posters use a posting ID and it is impossible to verify credibility.

Even your buddy bb posted that he's paid taxes only  a handful of times.

Do you believe him?

Message 9 of 67
latest reply

global shipping rip off

pierrelebel wrote:

I agree with that.  However, I have a credibility problem with statements claiming ................................

______________________________________________________________________________________

................... and some may have a credibility problem with statements claiming that in Belleville they collect on almost all items valued over $20.

Message 10 of 67
latest reply

global shipping rip off

"statements claiming that in Belleville they collect on almost all items valued over $20."

Where and when exactly was that statement made?

Message 11 of 67
latest reply

global shipping rip off

@pierrelebel wrote:

"statements claiming that in Belleville they collect on almost all items valued over $20."

Where and when exactly was that statement made?

I'll search it out............. or at least I'll give it a shot because my patience isn't even close to what yours if for that kind of thing.  :smileyhappy: .......... but I'll try.

That, and I'm still having a lot of trouble doing searches and locating old messages with this new system.

Those may not have been your exact words, but that was the general message you were conveying to us.

In the meantime, do you remember your buddy-bb's statement that he has only paid taxes a handful of times over the years?

I remember something about it being so rare that he can recall every instance?  BB????

Something to that effect.

You may choose no to believe some or all others, but surely you're not questioning BB.............. or are you?

Message 12 of 67
latest reply

global shipping rip off

Post 26 in this topic on the GSP way back in Jan 2013, Pierre says half of his purchases have charges.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/eBay-Global-shipping-program/m-p/69704

In Belleville, on parcels valued at $20 and more arriving by mail, I generally have to pay tax (and brokerage fee) on half the parcels, unless the tax was prepaid with the American exporter.

From the posts on the GSP over the past months, a number of buyers seem to be getting 90+% entering duty and tax free price sent by USPS/Canada Post. It does seem from the posts that the higher the value and using a delivery confirmation service increases the chances of paying taxes and duty and a processing fee. However, some buyers have stated that items up to $1000 or more have entered free of any charges.

My understanding and conclusions from all the posts I read in the past year.

Message 13 of 67
latest reply

global shipping rip off

"half of his purchases have charges."

That is about right.

That is not the comment quoted in post #10 "t in Belleville they collect on almost all items valued over $20."

Things do not change very much around here, do they? But, it is expected.

Message 14 of 67
latest reply

global shipping rip off

I remember something about it being so rare that he can recall every instance.  BB ??? 

Yes, for all my years of buying i can recall it happening twice. Both times this year.

They were two Blue Jays, 30th Anniversary Game Issued Hinske & Frasor, Jerseys.

You may choose not to believe some or all others, but surely you're not questioning BB......or are you ?

Since i have known Pierre for years, the last thing he would probably do would be to question my honesty. Of course i cannot speak for Pierre  & no I'm not being a wiseguy.

Not trying to be PC here, but lets look at the big picture.

In my buying experiences over the years, c'mon lets be honest here, I just got lucky.

Other buyers may not have been so lucky.

No one is right, no one is wrong, we just may have had different experiences in regards to cross border charges.

Message 15 of 67
latest reply

global shipping rip off

However, I have a credibility problem with statements claiming over a 1,000 imports without ever paying tax.

That statement seems a liitle far fetched.

While possible, i cannot see over a thousand imports shooting through.

Over twenty dollars, A hundred, maybe, over a thousand, doubtful.

I don't think i would even be that lucky.

Message 16 of 67
latest reply

global shipping rip off

My bad, Pierre's statement is not far fetched.

The OPs statement seems a little far fetched.

Message 17 of 67
latest reply

global shipping rip off

@bb_cool_stuff wrote:

However, I have a credibility problem with statements claiming over a 1,000 imports without ever paying tax.

That statement seems a liitle far fetched.

While possible, i cannot see over a thousand imports shooting through.

Over twenty dollars, A hundred, maybe, over a thousand, doubtful.

I don't think i would even be that lucky.

I agree, that does seem unlikely.

As I've mentioned before, I find that I usually don't get charged for first class packages but often do get charged when the sender has used priority or express or global mail.

I picked up a package today at the post office. It was sent from the U.S. through DHL Global Mail so they act as the broker and the amount due goes to them. The package was valued at just over $300 and I had to pay $65 --  $55 for duty & tax and a $10 service charge.

Message 18 of 67
latest reply

global shipping rip off

What I recall is that bb was the very first to openly post that he rarely paid taxes.

After his post I was more open about it, and his estimate is very close to mine.

I understand why posters think it seems logical that they will collect more often on more expensive items, but until you've been there you really aren't in a position to comment.

(Think I'm not surprised when I get an high priced item with no taxes owing??? You bet I am!)

Let me put it this way................. if an item is valued under $100 it's very unlikely that they will collect.  if it's valued over $100 the odds increase but it's not much more likely that they'll collect on a $1,000 item than they will on a $100 item.

However, is there any city other than Belleville where they collect on half of the items over $20???

Anyone???

That said:  Does anyone really care other than someone intent on discrediting someone else's posts?

I'm not quite sure what the point is of debating how taxes are collected in one town vs another.  

Buyer after buyer is posting that they upset over the GSP.

Perhaps it makes more sense to listen to what they're saying than continuously pointing out that our government has the right to collect taxes on all items over $20..............

Either they've never had to pay before and then it gives them even greater cause to be upset with the GSP, or they already know.

Message 19 of 67
latest reply

global shipping rip off

"Does anyone really care other than someone intent on discrediting someone else's posts?"

Another great question!

Think about it.

Message 20 of 67
latest reply