have a "feeling" about a customer

I have a potential customer who has sent me a few messages wanting a deal on one or more of my journals, and a deal on shipping. I explained that I don't reduce shipping, and that it appears higher as it costs more for us to ship in Canada, and I already offer a combined shipping rate. I told her that in circumstances where someone wants to order many journals (such as brides who want to order a large quantity), that I can set up a custom auction for them with a discount. I've had a few communications with her, and I think she has said 3x about (item or shipping) being pricey or expensive.

So, she told me what items she wants. Only 2 journals. Then again in the email she comments on the pricey thing. So, now I'm just irritated. I honestly do not mind someone who contacts me for a discount on a large # of items, and have had very positive experiences. But this customer is being picky and cheap. How do you guys handle "hard to please" customers? This person reminds me of the person who was cheap on shipping, so opted for surface (which I prefer NOT to offer, and she knew why), then gave me a neutral feedback due to the slow shipping (?!?!)

From my experience, those customers who want a deal are the hard ones to please. One thing I learned from being forced to raise my prices, is that those who VALUE the products, VALUE the products, and will pay the price without complaint. I have 100% positive feedback, and I don't want to risk selling to someone who isn't going to be happy or who is going to complain.

Thoughts?
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Oh, and I forgot to mention: I was curious about this person's feedback so I checked her feedback. Looks fine. I clicked on her last transaction out of curiousity.
A purse which she purchased for $750 No, I'm not kidding. Although she did save $ by using "best offer".
I can't believe she would whine about price with me and be buying $750 purses...
Although she is looking for "deals" on her other items, buying a few "free shipping codes" from sellers.

The day I can afford a $750 purse...
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

How do you guys handle "hard to please" customers?

Control myself and just answer their questions.

I can't believe she would whine about price with me and be buying $750 purses

How do you think people can afford a $750 purse? They are "careful" with their money and save anywhere they can.

Why is is that sellers think it's ok to whine that Canada Post is way too expensive but it's not ok for buyers to do the same?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
angelsmiles123 - BLOCK the 'potential' bidder- as they will never be happy.
Let them shop elsewhere.
Buyers who continually ask questions that irritate you, are not to be made welcome. Move on. Leave them behind.
I know a lot of people disagree with our policy regarding nuisance buyers- however- if it doesn't feel right- BLOCK the sale- and be happy that future problems/issues that may have arisen, will not.

NOTE- how any buyer spends their money- is THEIR business.
How they act with you, is YOUR business. Trust your instincts- let them shop elsewhere.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

bare_bright
Community Member
SIMPLY YOU GIVE YOUR PRICE AND THAT'S IT.

No need to waste your time with a buyer like that, you give the best deal you can and that's it.

I mostly sell low end items but at times I have expressive items and believe it or not it's the buyer who is buying a $4.99 pin that will ask for shipping cost when it's clearly marked.

These type of buyers must have no life & are just a waste of time.

Cheers & Have a Nice Weekend@ 🙂
T.J.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Go by the gut feeling. It happened to me once or twice that I have blacklisted the person just for asking the wrong question and sometimes I gave them (buyer) benefit of the doubt and turned out fine.

I would stay firm, answer their questions and would not make provocative comments (like you can shop elsewhere or such).

The fact she bought a $750 purse says this is someone who likes spending money when she made her mind. Kind of makes it worth a little smile over grinding teeth, does it not ?
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I never give discounts. If someone can't afford my item, then they should not buy it. If they think its too much money, then they should shop around until they find it cheaper somewhere else.

When you get a bad feeling about a person, ban them, cancel the transaction or refund their money. Gut feeling is a very good indicator of what's ahead.

Once you let a customer put his hands in your pocket, it will always be there.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

itrecovery
Community Member
If I have a "bad feeling", I always trust my senses. Quick "block and forget" is the best medicine.

What is you describing a good example of such situation.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

One thing I learned from being forced to raise my prices, is that those who VALUE the products, VALUE the products, and will pay the price without complaint.

You hit the nail on the head. I have more trouble with the buyers looking for something cheap than I do with those who pay the higher prices. And the difference is whether or not they see the value in the products. Even when I run auctions starting at lower than normal prices, I still have people who will pay the FP.

I don't like buyers who ask for deals. I don't give the option of Best Offer. If they don't like it they can go elsewhere. There is always someone else who will pay the price.

I have never blocked anyone for that reason, but if they continued to harp on it, I probably would do so. I agree with the others who said trust your instinct.

Judy
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

We humans are strange creatures. We respect what we have to pay a lot of money for and neglect those things that come cheap.
Ever see something you really liked? and thought to yourself, "if I could only afford it, if its only X number of dollars, I will buy it." Then you check the price, find it sells for a fraction of what you hoped to buy it for, THEN WALKED AWAY UNINTRESTED?
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

The same thing happens when you want something and it becomes too abundant in the marketplace. Suddenly you don't want it anymore because it is too readily available. And you are not willing to pay as much for it as you were in the beginning.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Precisely what I always have been advocating on the boards. It's marketing 101 as far as I am concerned, however, rarely taught in conventional seminars.

It also applies to postage.

Earlier this year when I suggested raising shipping costs (for sellers who were struggling with breaking even) I got roasted.

In February, I raised my shipping prices on average and my shipping cost DSR went from 4.8 to 4.9 within a month. They have remained there ever since and I enjoy my 20% FVF discount every month (not to mention the $400-500 shipping charge surplus every month 🙂 )

My most satisfied customers seem to be the ones that overpaid in auctions (wheres they could have bought the same item for less in my store) and the most TLC I have to give to buyers who snagged an auction for 99 cents (way below market value).

It's they way we humans work. If a perfume is endorsed by a celebrity and it's priced at $80, it suddenly becomes desirable:^O

Xena
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Exactly! It has nothing to do with the product, its whatever turns the customer on. If you can "hit" that "hot button", you got yourself a sale.

Another thing that motivates customers is packaging. They will pay twice as much just to have the cardboard box with the brand name or logo on it then without. Location of purchase is also high on the list.
Message 13 of 13
latest reply