how do i add goods and services taxes to ca members?

how do i add goods & service taxes to canadian members?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I'm not quite sure what your question is - a bit more detail would help.  However, I'm assuming you're asking what you have to do to charge GST/HST to Canadian buyers if you're a seller on eBay, is that correct?

If that is what you're asking, and if your annual gross sales are under $30,000, you're not required by CRA to collect or remit GST/HST unless you want to voluntarily register for GST/HST.  If you do, you will get a business number from CRA, but frankly if you're a smaller seller, it probably isn't worth all the trouble, time, and paperwork involved.

If you already have a business number, you will need to charge the appropriate GST/HST on your sold items to Canadians.  Consult the CRA website, where there is a lot of help and information on collecting the GST/HST and applying for credits, etc.  If you do have a business number (or plan to register for one), you'd be wise to consult an accountant as well to make sure you have your business records and invoicing set up properly. 

Otherwise, if you're grossing well under $30K per annum, and don't want to register, you don't need to be concerned about it.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Hi,

Thank you for responding to my request.  I already have a gst number although I am not going to be selling in  excess of $30K per annum in Canada, but I already have the number so i will need to remit.  I have entered the provincial taxes in "site preferences" and i think those should be added on to customer invoices from this point on... but where do I enter the GST percentage?  i spent the whole day on the phone with eBay yesturday and never really got very far.   Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Hello,

I'm not sure what type of account you have on eBay.  I have a business account. 

Go to Seller account

Then go to Site prefrences

Then go to Payment from buyers

The last options is "use sales tax table" if you click yes, then taxes will be calculated automatically for every province.  Once you click yes to this option, every time you list a new item, you will have the option to charge tax on the item.

I hope this will help.  I have a eBay store subscription with selling manager, but I think it should be the same steps for everyone.

Good luck

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

hello,

thank you for responding!  yes i have found that and have entered the provincial sales tax... but i don't see a button to add a tax (being GST) so for example do you mean i would put 12% for BC?  meaning 7% Provincial and 5% GST?  this would be a nightmare on the accounting side i'm thinking....  

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Hello,

When you submit your taxes to the government, you don't break down GST and PST anymore, it's HST now, you only submit one form and one payment only.  There is no need to break it down.  I'm pretty sure if you select to charge sales tax, eBay will do the calculations automatically so you don't have to worry about figuring out the rates. 

The night mare is really, when you try to add up the taxes every 3 months, as eBay doesn't generate reports for taxes, you would have to go in to every transaction and manually copy those numbers into a spreadsheet and add the up for remittance.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

It has been brought to my attention that BC has gone back to the old way of doing sales tax and GST.  I live in Ontario and I was basing my comment on Ontario.

Sorry for giving you the wrong information.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Since GST is the same across Canada, perhaps it is automatically adjusted by province and does not require being entered?

Message 8 of 8
latest reply