how do you handle dumping product by another eBay vendor?

cherietales
Community Member
Hello. I have just made it to powerseller level. My sales were going great until two new sellers began selling the same product as I sell, but at prices below wholesale cost. There is only one supplier for this item, so I know what they pay. One eBay vendor is actually starting auctions at $1.23 plus $4.50 shipping for an item that costs $7.50 wholesale. There is no way this seller can be making any money. Obviously my sales are way down. I am thinking this is a tactic to bring buyers flocking to their sales and then they will gradually raise the price. Does anyone have experience with this? Do I just sit it out?

All opinions welcome.

Cherie.
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

whoscloset
Community Member
I have a wholesale account with Hasbro. I stopped selling toys 2 years ago as I could not compete with the seller's who were selling way below wholesale.

I found out that it is common practice among those working in the low-paying retail sector to back-door items and sell them on ebay. They justify it due to the low wages they receive.

You can't compete with someone who is getting the item for free. If it is a commonly found item then it will continue and I suggest you find another line of goods to sell.

Monique

Monique

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

catalystpaintball
Community Member
That's the exact reason I only deal with manufactures that enforce a strict MAPP pricing structure. That way no one can sell it any less then I can. If I do see anyone selling for less then the MAPP price I am the first one to contact that company. Levels the playing field for all the small guys.

Not sure how many industries have this, but it works for sporting goods.

Steve
catalyst copy
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

cherietales
Community Member
what is MAPP?

Cherie.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

chuck111fishing
Community Member
Mapp is pricing struct where everybody i believe has to sell it for same price hopefully right on that. There aloit people give stuff way its been happening for a while even manufacture like me has its points and you know always offer something doent have to be a big gift or may a measly pin but they jump on it
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

chuck111fishing
Community Member
people laugh at me on this board because i have poor englishs and sometimes get the wrong point across But i been in my business for 15 years and tell ya what your competitors are no match for what i have in store for you. need help just ask. Put it this way i look at your listing and trust meyou can be selling similar bags to these for unbelievable prices, Why would i help someone i dont know eh must be stupid. Maybe itst he stupid canadian in me hahah,

Let get to the point in this type industry and with my suppliers you would be paying from 15 cents to 6.50 each now take that to bank. trust me if want help just email and i show acouple things. sorry my english does suck so if anybody wants insult me now about it its times. Just waiting this specfic person he know who he is. I was going open up a business just like his and sell it for fractions of price just because of his insults. well anyways email if u want one name that does more than give u a hand shake.
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

muminlaw
Community Member
Chuck, many of us sometimes have a hard time trying to understand the point you're making but I think we all admire you for your guts and determination in spite of adversity. I don't know how many of us would just give up but not you, you just keep trying. I admire that!

And if anyone here thinks you're stupid, well ... they're the stupid ones! There's nothing stupid about being helpful.

Cherie, sorry to hijack your thread, but I couldn't let Chuck's statement go by without a response!
. Glenda

Click here to go to my Store
Glenda

Click here to go to my Store
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

May be we can start a buying group and source the products from China?
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

genealogyresearcher
Community Member
Well this is a little OT, but...you have lovely items....I am a Mom of 6...and have seen/used some pretty ugly diaper bags over the years. Now that grandchildren are just 'round the corner it is nice to see such pretty things.
J
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

jenzaka
Community Member
Hi Cherie:
Welcome to the PowerSellers board and congratulations on your new status!
You mentioned that the new sellers are selling your product for a lower price than you possibly can and therefore are cornering the market on this particular item. I hate to burst your bubble, but personally I think this is good business on your competitiors part. So, in order to compete you are going to have to either settle for less profit or find a source that sells the bags for less. You don't know for sure that thier wholsale price is the same as yours.
You may want to consider starting your auctions at a lower price to draw attention to your product. Hopefully, they will be bid up beyond the original price you were asking. They are beautiful bags and I know if I was in the market for one, I would be willing to bid high in order to get it.
You may be pleasantly surprised by the number of items you sell just by lowering the start price.
Remember too, that E-bay is a business like any other and you have to do what needs to be done (within reason) in order to stay in the game.
Joy

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

chuck111fishing
Community Member
hi cherie hey everybodys here, just like comments mention email me and i can give your resources to even open a clothing franchise like jenzaka business for clothing products less than a dollar and make a mint on them. Yes this is business and i wil be gladly to help you. Cherie do email me some how and trust me i will give open one name. And you can closes anybody in the clotheing industry with blink of an eye. It will set structure price on ebay. But i said my offer is only open to you. Why because i like people succeed and maybe someday you might give someone else the same gesture or benefit of doubt too.

Dont want thing in return at all. You dont sign any contracts to get this stuff either. ship to your in pallaets if you like.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

cherietales
Community Member
The idea of a buying group and sourcing products from China is interesting. I have a subscription to the China Sourcing magazine and have lots of leads. Of course the problem is the minimum order quantity. For example, you can get a beautiful beaded bag for $4.00, but you have to buy 300 of one style, with a minimum order quantity of 2000. Obviously you have to be pretty confident of the saleability of an item before you buy in those quantities. Of course, if you are you could make a lot of money.

Cherie.
Message 12 of 12
latest reply