how does anybody make any money here

Between ebay and paypal they get you good , The bigger the sale the deeper they go in your pockets..I guess no one is forcing me to sell on ebay, but from all the fees, then the time packing the item, buying packing material and driving to the postal office, you have to wonder if its really worth it..

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Well, that is where cost control comes into play. ALL of my fees, including COGS, runs about 25% of my gross.

Not everything is worth the effort, or suited to, an eBay environment.
Photobucket
Message 2 of 32
latest reply

"how does anybody make any money here"

Maybe you should ask how does anyone make money selling "stuff" at any retail level?

If you have a brick and mortar store - stand alone or in a mall - you pay rent, staff, utilities, advertising, insurance, credit card processing, etc... Not unusual to see those expenses add up to 20% to 50% of the gross sales once you factor shoplifting and pilferage.

If you sell through "mail order" (also known as direct marketing) you do not have the rent and utilities expenses but you may have higher advertising cost.

On eBay, you only pay a commission (10% or less) if you sell in addition to minimal listing fees.  PayPal fees are competitive to what you would have to pay if you had a merchant account with a store.

"wonder if its really worth it.."

It all comes down to the gross margins you are working with and the value of your time.

At the end of the day, you make a profit by being able to offer attractive products at competitive prices and having an edge on your purchasing costs.

The method of distribution - store, flea market, website, eBay, or whatever - is a matter of personal choice and time availability.  A successful result is achieved by : those who buy right, sell right!

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Just a note-- if you are using the Sell Your Item form, have you noticed that your pictures can be rotated so that the item can be seen right way up?

You don't have to drive to the post office. With Paypal shipping labels (discounted from 5to 15% from PO counter costs) you just drop the parcel into the nearest post box.

While some packaging can be scavenged, shop online for prices better than Staples and waaaay better than the PO. I buy poly envelopes for about a dime apiece with shipping included here on eBay. Best buy on b-flute (self-stick corrugated card) is from Cheswick. Bubble wrap is still Staples, but I have a small supply from the ink cartridges at work too.

EBay and Paypal do charge a percentage of every sale as their fee. That runs around 9%.  But that's only charged on sales. And the buyer pays that, not you. Are you remembering to include a handling/ packaging charge when you work out your asking price and shipping fees?

And remember when you work out your asking price, your time at minimum wage is worth 17 cents a minute. Make your wage a part of your asking price.

You may also want to consider using "Free Shipping" which means adding the cost of domestic shipping to your asking price. You then adjust your international shipping to reflect that higher asking price . The advantage is that the shipping fee to eBay is based on that domestic rate. Free Shipping to Canada means NO shipping fee on any S&H even if it were $100 to ship to the Lower Antilles.

Further Free Shipping gives you a 5 Star rating automatically in your DSRs. You can't see those yet, but those are an important consideration towards getting your Top Rated Seller status, which in turn gives you a 20% discount on many of your fees.

Oh. Your titles. You have 80 free keystrokes. Use them all. Three words to title a Coach bag? Colour/ new-used/ hobo-satchel- shoulder strap- wristlet/ leather-cloth/ Work your titles!

I should be listing. DH bought another estate and there's a couple of thousand mint stamps to list as discount postage.

Work work work-  Hoban Washburne.

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

Femme, send yer DH down here to Belleville. I can't get  good stuff at anything except above retail. Maybe he can score something for me.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 32
latest reply

"Femme, send yer DH down here to Belleville."...

... and after he visited mr. elmwood, tell him to walk around the corner where he could find a huge stamp 'estate' available at a very fair price (about 70% below retail)!

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

How does anybody make money here?

Anybody can make money here...

The key word is ... Profit

How?

(1) Persistence... lots of research, lots of tolerance  and ready to make it happen

(2) Finding the right inventory and buy it at the right price.... a key reality to the word ... profit

(3) Selling at the right price...

many sellers have a fear it will not sell.... and price too low...

and ... in contrast one has to know when a high price is too high for the market.... 

(4) Research and more research...  knowing what to do .... and not doing just about anything ....just because it can be done.

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

coretek1
Community Member

I think the biggest trick here is finding something you can buy in bulk that hasn't already saturated ebay.  Even stuff that people can't get in them small towns.  Mind you it will be EXTREMLY difficult to find something that is rare selling on ebay that you can sell from a bulk order.

A rule of thumb is after 6 months and you still cannot do much more than break even, it is best to move on.  Even for me I would consider that.  It can be very stressful competing with the giants from china on here.  Few win, most lose.

Same thing that is happening on youtube now.  They are pushing out the common folk with their unique videos for a more streamlined and conformed system where they will eventually have giant channels with videos of millions of views.  Youtube views us peons and poluution in their system.

Basically it is the WalMart effect.  Crush the little guys and send em back to their villages.  Welcome to the material world.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

From what i calculate Ebay and Paypay together takes 15 %, thats without counting your time, and materials and gas taking the product to the Post office..

When i am buying,usually the shipping cost is the deal breaker, tried to tell sellers if i buy a piece of computer Ram off you and you want 25.00 toi ship it to me, something is terrible wrong.. they usually dont listen..

Now that alot of USA seller are using Global shipping option, i also stay away , because the cost is higher then just sending it and letting the seller pay the custom chrages at the post office..

ALSO !!!!

We in Canada can buy USA items tax free  for items under 40.00.. and I have also bought items costing 60 to 80.00 and was charged no custom fee's, because the guy that handled it decided not to do the paper work involved.

I think the last post has a point, if you buy in bulk and get a good price, you can maybe sell at a better price then most as everybody looks for the lowest cost, and a good seller.

People will also list there items as rare and there are 15 on Ebay, dont they look...lol

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

"We in Canada can buy USA items tax free  for items under 40.00.."

The official government website advises:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Now, it is understood that many packages with value exceeding $20 go through the postal system without tax being assessed because the folks at Canada Customs do not do their job for whatever reason.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

I think the biggest trick here is finding something you can buy in bulk that hasn't already saturated ebay.

Great Point !  I hope a lot of the Newbies read your statement before making a large bulk purchase.

As mentioned previously, " The Good Ole Days Are Over."

There are tons of bulk deals out there, local & on eBay, but bottom line, can you turn the product ?

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

"bottom line, can you turn the product ?"

So true.  And that applies to all of us, even the most experienced sellers.

About twelve years ago, I purchased a large lots of 2,500 identical mint postage stamp sets from Myanmar (Burma), still in the original packages from their Post Office.  The price was so low I could not miss....  The (inflated) catalogue value was US$340,000 and my cost was only $11,000.  Few sets were offered for sale anywhere amd I hoped I could get a fourth to a third of catalogue value over time.

I was wrong.  It turned out few stamp sets were being offered for sale because fewer collectors were interested in paying a high price for these stamps.  I eventually lowered the price, lowered again, and again, and again to finally dispose of them slightly below my original cost from ten years earlier, to a dealer overseas.

There is no guarantee in business.  Even if you have knowledge and experience, mistakes will happen and you may end up buying "stuff" that will not move.

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

@bb_cool_stuff wrote:

There are tons of bulk deals out there, local & on eBay, but bottom line, can you turn the product ?

You're absolutely right - good advice for those starting out who may not understand their competition or their costs.  I would add that if you're a re-seller you have to be able to turn the product at a profit that is satisfactory enough for your needs (not everybody has to make a full-time income here, but you do need to see a decent % return, whatever your volume of sales). 

You guys sometimes also forget that there are the oddballs (like myself) who are designers and manufacturers, i.e. not re-sellers.  Some of us do exist here.  My input costs are extremely low, and my circumstances are such that I only need to make enough profit to earn a part-time income.  If you can find a comfortable little niche like that on eBay, I think you can survive -- as long as you can keep up with the changes that are constantly being made to this site.   

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

Oddball ? I don't think so Rose.

I can only think of one oddball here & someone told me he sold Vintage Shirts.

If you can find a comfortable little niche like that on eBay, I think you can survive...

It seems to be going that way whether we like it or not, but its still fun for me trying to find that niche.

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

Even if you have knowledge and experience mistakes will happen and you may end up buying " stuff " that will not move.

Yes, I have seen a lot of good people buy in bulk & put the purchase on a credit card.

The product moves slowly & they then see another great bulk deal & do the same thing again.

Before they know it they have a substancial credit card balance that cannot be cleared monthly.

I am not talking from experience as i have always set aside a certain percentage for purchases.

I was able to build up my inventory over the years without the worry of carrying a high percentage credit card balance.

Message 15 of 32
latest reply

"Femme, send yer DH down here to Belleville."...

... and after he visited mr. elmwood, tell him to walk around the corner where he could find a huge stamp 'estate' available at a very fair price (about 70% below retail)!

Sorry pierre-- we're getting ready to retire soon too. He's off at Gary's sale this week.

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

He could spend the same money in Belleville instead of Halifax!  Keep it in Ontario!

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

He could spend the same money in Belleville instead of Halifax!  Keep it in Ontario!

Ahemmm... we can really use the cash here...Smiley Wink

(posted from my 'retreat' here near Annapolis Royal, NS) 

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

Barely its not worth the effort though. FEES OR SKY HIGH

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

This is how ya make money. I went to an auction today. Picked up a set up new tail lights with metal guards. Cost me $13. They are factory Hummer H2 and I will list for around $400. After this, that, the other, fees, shipping, I should clear $300.

Two other piles of $5 each yielded a $300 pile and a $400 pile. Then there is the bag full that cost me $5 and I am WAGing there is $300 in that pile.

I was only there because I went to pick up the online auction stuff I had spent $43 on. I will list that plie for $200.

That is how I make money here.

Photobucket
Message 20 of 32
latest reply