import charges, brokerage fees on $700. golf clubs, shipped U.S. to Canada

bronzevaliant
Community Member

I am looking at buying golf clubs in the U.S..  The cost is $700.  What can I reasonably expect to pay in custom duties, brokerage fees, etc. to have the clubs delivered to me.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Hi .. I believe duty on clubs was removed in the April budget but will be charged normal taxes for your province plus (by mail) a Canada Post fee of $9.95 for collecting.

Sellers using courier UPS/FEDEX ground , an expensive brokerage fee (roughly $80.) Avoid if possible. Seller may agree to mail if asked.

Ebay how has a shipping program for US sellers with import charges paid at checkout...

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/shipping-globally.html

Sellers using this program .. listings on this site will show..import charges.. to be provided at checkout. To see the estimated amount it is necessary to search the item # on COM. and change shipping to Canada. Again, avoid if possible.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

There will be a service /brokerage fee from the shipper. This starts at $10 with Canada Post and around $25 with couriers. It goes up faster with couriers.

There may or may not be duty, depending on the place of manufacture (not purchase) of the item.

There will be sales tax, just as if you bought them locally.

If your seller insists on using the Global Shipping Program, your costs will be increased by the fee charged by Pitney Bowes. Because the clubs will be shipped to a central point, then trans-shipped to you, expect delays in delivery.

Best bet, ask your seller to ship directly by USPS/Canada Post. Second best, ask him to use a courier and upgrade to Express Shipping which includes the brokerage fee, but not the duty and taxes.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply