import fees

erie_chomper
Community Member

I have just purchased a couple of products from us sellers and I was hit with an import fee on both. I have been buying from the states and I have always paid the duties when delivered. Do these import fees see our goverment or is it a cash grab. I ripped the seller ( which I now apologize for) but have now seen that they were mislead by ebay not realizing how it would affect Canadian buyers.  This fee is totaly out of wack with the value of the items. I purchased one itrem which cost 3.75 and I was charged 3.34 import fees. With this policy in affect it now becomes cheaper to purchase these items from local stores,  This means that my purchases from other countries will most deffinetly  decline or completly stop

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

import fees

Hi .. Ebay now has a Global Shipping Program whereby sellers ship to a collection point and items are transshipped by Pitney Bowes and any import charges are paid upfront.

PB should not be charging fees on a $3. purchase but i do not know how it can be addressed except through seller.

Only way to avoid is to not buy from sellers using this program. Viewing listings in top section under shipping cost , will see .. import charges..to be provided at checkout.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

import fees

PS.. US sellers really have little experience with the details of this new program . If PB is going to charge handling fees on items below the import threshold of $20, than it becomes unattractive for both buyer and seller. Time will tell but in the meantime , i will try to avoid.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

import fees

I ripped the seller ( which I now apologize for)

Do you mean you used harsh language to the seller in an email or that you left a negative?

If the former an apology would never be out of place, if the latter, let the seller know that you have rethought your feedback and would agree to a FB revision if he were to apply for one.

This programme really sounds like an answer to a problem that did not exist.

The real problem, which is not addressed, is that couriers (like UPS and FedEx) charge huge ($25 +) fees on the doorstep to foreign customers and even more important do not make it clear to the US seller that this will happen. The result is that the US seller is blindsided by furious feedback from angry customers.

We have yet to hear of a case where the new programme combines with a UPS delivery. When we do, bring popcorn.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply