lost item

Something has happened that is a first for me in all my years of on line shopping.

I have a tracking number that shows an item was delivered on March 15th, 2014. But as of March 28th,  have not received anything   

I contacted USPS at Dover, Florida, twice know and they tell me that the package was delivered. Since it required no signature, I cannot tell if it really has been delivered. (I am a canadian snowbird and in a park ) I am being told by the office that everything that is delivered is put on a table for customers to pick-up. I have contacted the seller to initiate an investigation but from his point of view, everything was  delivered. He tells me that I will have to make the claim.  

I am at my wits end as I am being told by the post office to file a claim on the internet. On the claim, it is asking all kind of questions for which I do not have any answers, as I never received the package and do not know all the informations requested. 

I  know that Ebay is so adversarial  .... I don't want to cause problems for the seller who has a wonderful record and has done nothing wrong ..but at the same time don't want to take a loss.

Can anyone give advice on how to proceed or should I just let it go. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

lost item

I am being told by the office that everything that is delivered is put on a table for customers to pick-up.

The USPS just leaves all the mail for park residents on a table? So any of your neighbours can 'shop' there?

I'd be speaking to the park manager about that. At least in apartment buildings there are mailboxes.

What if you recieved important medication by mail? Or your OAP cheque? Or eBay parcels?

But you are right. The seller is not at fault. She shipped with Confirmation of Delivery and USPS marked it Delivered. A Dispute would fail.

The USPS probably would not be helpful. First because the item was delivered normally, to The Table. (Still find that an amazing system.) And second because the seller bought the insurance and it protects her, not you. She would have to make the claim and, as we know, it was delivered. To The Table.

You could put up a sign in the mailroom asking if anyone had seen it and picked it up accidentally.

But really, you should be speaking firmly to the management about your loss from their inadequate mailroom.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

lost item

The item were delivered at the desk, but put on the table by the staff of the park. It has never happens before that any packages were taken from the table.   They have also told me that in the past, USPS had said that the packages were delivered and finally they were not. They were forgotten in the truck and turned out a few weeks later.  

Since then, the park  have put in a system that a card is being put in the mailboxes and that you need the card to pick-up item. I guess it had to happen to me for them to put a system in place.

If anyone would have pick-up by mistake, they would bring it back. I know I would!!!!

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

lost item

That's good. Barn door good, but an improvement.

Was the local postmaster any help? I would think a search of the trucks and the back room at the post office are now in order.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

lost item

If anyone would have pick-up by mistake, they would bring it back. I know I would!!!!

Perhaps I should have put "by mistake" in quotes to call attention to my belief that one of your neighbours is a thief.

Yes, I am a nasty cynical old woman.

And it is never enough to "call" the USPS. You get a clerk. You have to go to the Post Office and talk face to face with the Postmaster. He or she can take actual action. Naturally, you would do this nicely.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

lost item

I would check the garbage and recycling areas to see if the empty packaging is there. If there, you could show to the post office. Theft of mail is a serious crime in the USA.

Maybe too much time has passed from date of delivery March 15 and today for it to be in the garbage or recycling. But if the item was stolen, the thief might just now be putting it out now. Sometimes a thief is dumb and will leave an obvious thing like this.

Suggest this tactic to the office staff as they would know where to look and may help.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

lost item

Went twice to the post office. They tell me to go and fill out a claim form on the internet. They do not seem to want to help me to fill out a  claim form at the desk.  Will go back one last time hoping they can do something. As far as they are concern the item was delivered......

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

lost item

I have been to the post office twice but will go back one more time hoping that the package is there.If not, I will  have to send the claim form with the info that I have and see what comes up.  

Message 8 of 8
latest reply