mistery return....

i just received a return without being contacted first or given a reason why.

There is nothing wrong with the item. I want to get the eBay  fees back and just refund the item's cost.

Can anybody suggest the right way of doing this?

Thanks

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

mistery return....

Do I contact the buyer to ask the reason of the return? Or just refund the item's price witholding the shipping?

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

mistery return....

I would first find out from the buyer why the item was returned.  Did they buy new postage to send it back or was it just marked as return to sender.  I wonder if they even looked at it.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

mistery return....

There a couple of ways to handle it.  If it has been less than  30 days since the purchase you can cancel the order by going to the drop down area in that transaction.  But I don't think that you can withhold any shipping that way.

You could also tell the buyer that eBay prefers that returns be done through the proper processes and ask them to open a return request.  (If their return reason is for snad, I'm not sure if I would do it this way.). When you refund that gives you the option to just refund for the item IF you charged for shipping.  You can't withhold 'free' shipping.

You would get your fees back both of those ways.

You can also refund it all or a portion through PayPal.  You would get your PayPal  fees back, but not eBay.

its always a good idea that you have a messag from the buyer saying that they want a cancellation and/ or refund.  Then it is clear that it is a buyer Initiated transaction.

You will  get your PayPal fees back regardless of how you refund except for the .30 fee.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

mistery return....

The person is new with zero feedback. Probably doesn't know that she had to go through the proper process for a return and I wouldn't want to confuse and really complicate things.

She paid for both shippings and as far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with the items. She bought the items(teapot & sugar bowl) two weeks ago. She may have changed her mind or bought the wrong items.

In my view she can return the items but she pays for the shipping. 

Anyways Should I just contact and tell her that she is entitled to a refund less shipping?

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

mistery return....

@rio1953 wrote:

The person is new with zero feedback. Probably doesn't know that she had to go through the proper process for a return and I wouldn't want to confuse and really complicate things.

She paid for both shippings and as far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with the items. She bought the items(teapot & sugar bowl) two weeks ago. She may have changed her mind or bought the wrong items.

In my view she can return the items but she pays for the shipping. 

Anyways Should I just contact and tell her that she is entitled to a refund less shipping?

If I am reading this right, you now have the teapot & sugar bowl back in your hands.  Is that correct?  

The buyer did not file an official eBay return request through the Resolution Center.  Is that correct? 

The buyer did not contact you but just opened the parcel, changed their mind, and took it to the post office to send it back.  Is that correct? 

If so, then yes, try to get the buyer to go for a "remorse" return by saying "I changed my mind".   If you yourself can cancel because the buyer had a change of heart that might help but I have not tried that so can't say if it is too late or not.  If the buyer files a claim and says Changed Mind that would be good but if its someone who knows the system and picks SNAD that could lead to a massive headache.  But if you tell them now to open a case and that you don't plan to refund any shipping it might affect how they decide to do it. 

Why not start by simply asking why the return  without giving any of your thoughts away?

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

mistery return....

You could refund them thru PayPal after you need to call eBay they will refund the fees.On PayPal you have the right to return only the money for the item and hold the shipping charges.For your security send a message to  the customer and add the tracking number  so you have proof.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

mistery return....

Yes Vivian you are correct on all three points.

I have contacted the buyer as you suggested but no answer.

What should my next move be and the best thing to do at this point. 

Has anybody ever had to deal with something like this? Please advice.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

mistery return....

Wait a few days, you started this thread yesterday so the buyer hasn't had much time to contact you.  I would also send a message to the buyer s PayPal email address as they might check thst address more often.  

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

mistery return....

If the buyer is in north america and you have a forgiving long distance plan, I would call them.

I've resolved very weird and bizzare situations with a couple minute phone call before.....

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

mistery return....

Yesterday i sent the buyer another message. Up until now i still have not heard from her/him.

Probably my next move will be to try to contact her/him.

I don't understand the silence. Doesn't her/him want to resolve this and get the money back?

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

mistery return....

@rio1953 wrote:

Yesterday i sent the buyer another message. Up until now i still have not heard from her/him.

Probably my next move will be to try to contact her/him.

I don't understand the silence. Doesn't her/him want to resolve this and get the money back?

It is a bit unusual but from a new user maybe not.  The person might be expecting you to do the right thing and just refund.  Obviously has no idea that there is a proper way to file for a return.  EBay is really complicated and not many people know all about it the first time they visit the site.  I agree that if you can telephone the buyer that might be the best thing to do.  The person might not be checking any emails and might be thinking this should be like buying from their other favorite online clothing retailer or something. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply