private listing - bidders' identities protected

Who are those 'private Listing - bidders' identities protected' ?  I have been bidding on items and when I look at who is bidding there is only me and the private listing - bidders' identities protected which I think is SHILL BIDDING.    I am tired of bidding on items that the seller keeps rising the price of the item.  It really is a no-win situation and leaves you at the mercy of the seller.  What should I do about this. ?  There are a lot of those on eBay.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

What should I do about this. ?  

Make yourself aware of what a private listing is

by reading the following link.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/private.html

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

One indicator of shill bidding is when some one has a lot of bid retractions.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/invalid-bid-retraction.html

2014-04-11_8-39-08.jpg

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

If it is a Private Listing it will say so at the top of the page.

You may simply choose not to buy from those sellers.

1800memory.png

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I am tired of bidding on items that the seller keeps rising the price of the item.

The seller probably isn't, you may be bidding against someone who placed his maximum bid before you.

What should you do?

Bid once. Bid Late. Bid your maximum.

Or don't bid at all. Look for Fixed Price listings where you know exactly what the price will be before you purchase.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

gabe1s
Community Member

I have been bidding on some Jewellery and encountered the same problem. I have checked to see the selling prices for at least a previous 2 weeks so that I could figure out what I would be able to buy it for. I have in fact bid an amount over the highest selling price so that it would be a sure buy. Alas to no avail. Still lost. The price went down for the same items that I did not bid. I gave up on the chase and wrote to the seller. He quoted me double the highest selling price and advised me that I will not win under that bid.

So I am looking to buy from private sources in India.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply