"Based In [somewhere in Eastern Europe]" with a US address.

the_van
Community Member

Is there a known issue with buyers who have US addresses, yet their profiles state they are based in Russia (or somewhere close to it)?

A couple weeks ago I had to open and close an unpaid item case against a buyer based in Russia with an address in Virginia. Last night I had 7 auctions end and the only one that isn't paid for yet is from a buyer based in Belarus with an address in Pennsylvania.

Is there something I'm not aware of here. I admit I'm not the most experienced seller. Any information/advice is appreciated!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Many Russians (and residents of other previous Soviet States) have mailing addresses in the USA (often NY) from where goods are forwarded to them (at their cost).  That is often the only way they can purchase from the USA where many merchants (and eBay and online sellers) limit their sales to US addresses.

You will find many buyers from Central and South America using addresses in Florida, mostly Miami, for the same purpose.

I have sent hundreds of shipments over the years to those addresses of convenience without any problem.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I have sold to every island in the Caribbean w/o knowing it. 99% of my parcels to Florida are going to a freight forwarder.
Photobucket
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I sold recently a book to buyer from Estonia and shipped it to his address there.  When he was paying, he advised that my shipping charges are reasonable and he decided to take advantage of it. Otherwise he asks to ship items to his friend's address in Illinois who once a month or so the friend ships him one large parcel and it is more cost effective to him.

I would not worry about it.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Fair enough. Maybe we don't hear as much about that in Canada as you guys do in the US. Sounds like a bit of bad luck with one deadbeat and maybe two. The first one actually replied to my warning about the upcoming case if he didn't pay with "ok thanks".

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

All the sellers who responded are Canadians shipping from Canada.  Most experienced Canadian sellers are very comfortable shipping internationally, after all most of our customers are foreigners, just south of us.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

The reason I asked the question wasn't because of discomfort shipping to the US... which even at the post office is different than shipping "Internationally". My discomfort (due to my inexperience) was having the non-paying buyers with those US addresses being based in Russia and Belarus respectively. My inexperience resulted in me not even knowing foreign citizens are allowed to have mailing addresses in the US. I didn't blink an eye at it until the second buyer stiffed me.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply