restrict to Canadian purchasers

As a Canadian selling on ebay.ca, can I restrict sales to Canadian addresses only?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Sure ya can, just block all countries in your "exclusion list" that you do not want to ship to.
Photobucket
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

You can but if you ship to Canada only, your listing will be seen on .ca only. Any Canadians who use .com will not see your listings. Also, if you don't ship to the U.S. you are missing out on a huge market.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Hello 'pampottery',

You can, certainly, but you won't sell very much.  Time and again we hear sellers

in Canada say that most of their business is from the US.

If you are just beginning selling, it may be wise to restrict your sales to those two

countries, - Canada & the US.  Getting the whole listing/shipping thing sorted out

takes time and absolute beginners do best to start with those two.

And if you have hesitations and questions, - these boards are full of people who have

been selling on ebay forever, so post as many questions as you like.  You'll get loads

of assorted responses, and can work with that which best suits you.

There is so much to know, but the other members here will be delighted to help you

along to set up amazing listings that result in hassle-free transactions.  

Well, mostly hassle-free.

I wish for you a fun and prosperous selling career.  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

99% of my customers are Canadian

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@ricky87199 wrote:

I would guess that is because of the Canadian flag on your pictures.

Perhaps it is just me that thinks like this but unless your items are actually made in Canada, it seems misleading to have the Canadian flag on the gallery picture. Also, I didn't think that we were allowed to add things like that to the pics.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@ricky87199 wrote:

Ships to: Canada

--------------------------------------------
Me on the other hand.....

95% of my customers are NOT Canadian

Ships To: Worldwide

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

kris24k
Community Member

I did the whole sell in Canada only and now that I have opened my listing to the US I have sold more.  Shipping to the US is not that much more and just account for it in your pricing. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I don't think the flag is a problem. Unless the customer thinks he will also get a flag with his gadget.Woman Surprised

And it certainly makes the seller's items look different from thousands of other dropshippers with identical items.

The problem I can see is that many/most Canadian buyers will be shopping on eBaydotCOM and the poster may be restricting his market by not offering US shipping rates, which would allow the listings to appear on dotCOM.

It wouldn't change his costs.

We certainly see buyers who are annoyed when they see Canadian sellers selling in US dollars. However, since they don't also see Canadian dollars on those listings, they are pretty obviously shopping on the US site.

The percentage of items I sell to the USA has dropped from about 95% to about 85% over the past decade, even if I take out the discount Canadian postage. But I think that's actually a rise in the number of Canadian and overseas buyers.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

eBay told me the flag was okay on my last limit increase, the point I was making was that there is a Canadian market and I get by fine selling to Canadians.

I offer free shipping to the US on about half my listings but I also list in CDN$ and the flag most likely kills my American buyers if anything

Message 10 of 10
latest reply