seller added a 6$ fee on checkout for artificial packaging can he do that?

nbabe1
Community Member

I won a painting very cheap indeed @ less then 5$ when they normally sell over 11$. Nowhere in auction was it mentioned any extra fees. Free shipping mentioned and nothing else.

I won and then at checkout I saw a 6$ fees added by seller

Item number  . I contacted the seller and he says it s for artificial processing packages and parcel transportation insurance expenses, which was nowhere mentioned during auction or other auction of his. He now would GLADLY cancel the auction if I don't want to pay for this expense.  I think this is fraudulent behavior. All fees should be mentioned, you do not offer free shipping then if the item sells too low you increase your payment of 6$ for a fee I never heard of.

Am I wright and what are my recourse, seller is from asia, can I force him to remove this 6$ extra? How do we contact ebay to get help anyway? all im being offered is through paypal and I didn't pay yet. any help appreciated BTW in Canada we can buy up to 20$ without having to pay customs fees so it cant be that.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: First off if you end up checking out, leave NEGATIVE FEED...

First off if you end up checking out, leave NEGATIVE FEEDBACK. Then, file a dispute with Paypal and report the seller to eBay. It is seller's remorse for failing to sell the item more than expected, but it is not right for the seller to charge you more money after the auction. Or you two can agree on mutual cancellation of the entire transaction.

This seller has 96.8% feedback score, in other words, NEVER BUY FROM SELLERS WHO HAVE LESS THAN 98% FS. That was the first indication that this seller is not a good start.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I just saw this on the seller's page: International Buyers: Please Note: Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer’s responsibility. Please check with your country’s customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Yes that is correct but Canadian buyer have 20$ free custom. this beinga 5$ item there is absolutely no custom fees. I mentioned it just to prove it wasn't for this. in his reply he menions the artificial processing packages and parcel transportation insurance expenses. Which Like I said was nowhere to be seen in his auction. I feel this is a charge because I won too cheap. what can be done? can he be force to respect his listing? How can I flag him to ebay? or I can just accept the cancellation as I don't want to pay BY PRINCIPLE the 6$ he is asking. seems unfair if the only thing I can do is to accept cancellation.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

The seller might trick the buyer by being vague about this part: "....and charges are not included in the item price...." So the $6 extra he's asking for may be just that.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I believe this refers to dutyes fees and charges wich does not apply to me since its 5$. NOwhere does it say packaging fees or insurance fees in auction. anyway how can ebay help with this or am I alone in this ordeal?
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

artificial processing packages and parcel transportation insurance expenses, which was nowhere mentioned during auction or other auction of his. He now would GLADLY cancel the auction if I don't want to pay for this expense. 

First, was the shipping price to Canada or to the USA? Actually this should not make a difference since the seller is in Asia, but it may be that he did advertised different rates.

Second, no he cannot charge more than the amount he advertised for shipping.

You have already done the first step in a Dispute. You contacted the seller.

Go back to him and tell him that your bid was based on his advertised price and shipping.

If he does not give in, and I doubt he would ship even if you paid, your next step is to open a Dispute. Go to Community up there in the top right corner of this page and scroll down to the Resolution Centre.

What you want, since again I doubt you will ever see the item, is that eBay becomes aware of his Violations of the Seller Agreement.

Close the dispute as soon as possible.

NOW, you leave the feedback for future bidders. The most effective feedback is calm and factual. "Demanded extra shipping not advertised." would warn them.

At the same time you will be asked to leave Detailed Seller Ratings. These are much much more important to sellers than feedback. The normal Rating is Five Stars. The lowest Rating in ONE Star. No ratings are a free pass.

This seller should get ONE star ratings for description, since he was incorrect about the real price, shipping cost for the same reason, and communication again for hiding the real price of the item. Shipping time is up to you.

If the seller's DSRs drop below 4.3, his ability to list and sell on eBay will be greatly restricted.

Do be sure that the shipping price you think was asked was for Canada before following this harsh path.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply