seller cancels the sale after item closes because they don't like price received.

What option does a buyer have if after bidding on, and winning, an auction,  the seller immediately cancels the sale

because they didn't like the price received for their item?  Don't they have a moral obligation to ship the item.

The buyer certainly has the obligation to pay for an item after bidding on, and winning, an auction.  In fact, ebay would jump

all over me if I didn't pay for an item because I didn't like the final price

I've had this happen to me more than once.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

seller cancels the sale after item closes because they don't like price received.

The seller has only a few reasons to cancel a purchase.

• One is 'problem with buyer address' which is used mostly when a purchaser is based in Nigeria (or somewhere equivalent in the seller's mind, which might be Chicoutimi). This is a Seller Protection and most fair minded buyers understand it.
  • Another is Out Of Stock.

The seller who sells something that he cannot ship is given a Defect. The number of Defects a seller can get is very limited before his seller account is restricted or even shut down. I think it is less than 2% of transactions.

• The seller who is asked by the buyer to cancel the transaction. Buyer Request.

And this is the tricky one.

First because the transaction could also be cancelled by an Unpaid Item Dispute which not only returns the seller's fees but blocks feedback from the unsatisfied buyer.

Second because the seller will not get a Defect for this one. And for that reason some sellers will claim any cancellation as Buyer Request.

Third because the buyer who did NOT request the cancellation, like the OP, can deny the cancellation.

This still won't get him the item, but it gives the seller the dreaded Defect.

The OP can deny the seller's cancellation giving him a Defect and I believe can also leave appropriate feedback.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

The seller has only a few reasons to cancel a purchase.

• One is 'problem with buyer address' which is used mostly when a purchaser is based in Nigeria (or somewhere equivalent in the seller's mind, which might be Chicoutimi). This is a Seller Protection and most fair minded buyers understand it.
  • Another is Out Of Stock.

The seller who sells something that he cannot ship is given a Defect. The number of Defects a seller can get is very limited before his seller account is restricted or even shut down. I think it is less than 2% of transactions.

• The seller who is asked by the buyer to cancel the transaction. Buyer Request.

And this is the tricky one.

First because the transaction could also be cancelled by an Unpaid Item Dispute which not only returns the seller's fees but blocks feedback from the unsatisfied buyer.

Second because the seller will not get a Defect for this one. And for that reason some sellers will claim any cancellation as Buyer Request.

Third because the buyer who did NOT request the cancellation, like the OP, can deny the cancellation.

This still won't get him the item, but it gives the seller the dreaded Defect.

The OP can deny the seller's cancellation giving him a Defect and I believe can also leave appropriate feedback.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

ans there are many buyers who don't pay, after winning an auction, or sending an offers. and i would guess, there are more non-payers than there are cancelled transactions.. and buyers do get penalized if they cancel to many times..

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Well that makes it all better then.There are more non-payers(rolls eyes)I won three different auctions last night with the same seller and he cancelled on terms of damaged or out of stock.Again rolls eyes.What is this place a gong show?wow...
Message 4 of 4
latest reply