seller won't cooperate with Canada Customs

I purchased an item on Ebay that was listed as being in Florida, USA.  However, the item was actually located in and shipped from the United Kingdom.  Had it been from US>Canada, no duty.  But from UK>Canada, duty.

The Seller declared a much lower value than the item is worth AND won't provide the cost of shipping.  As a result, if I want to release my package from Canada Customs, I have to pay taxes and duty on the full price I paid rather than just on the cost of the merchandise. I provided FedEx with a copy of my receipt. 

I have been working with FedEx and Customs Canada.  Both FedEx and I have sent repeated emails to the Seller, simply ask for a detailed breakdown of the cost of the merchandise vs. the cost of shipping.  To provide this information would mean I would not have to pay taxes or duty on the shipping component of the package.  The Seller simply declines to respond to any of our inquiries.

I'm beyond frustrated. I can't get Ebay involved until after the outside date of the delivery window (next week) but FedEx can only hold the package so long, and I don't know whether to pay the extra -- even though it's inflated -- or insist on a full refund from the Seller; or request a partial refund from the Seller for these additional expenses.  I simply don't understand why the Seller won't answer either my messages or those from FedEx.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Both FedEx and I have sent repeated emails to the Seller, simply ask for a detailed breakdown of the cost of the merchandise vs. the cost of shipping. 

If he shipped by FedEx, why doesn't FedEx have the amount he paid them to carry the parcel?

For that matter, isn't the cost he charged you for shipping on your eBay invoice?

If FedEx is refusing to break down what their customer (your seller) paid for actual transport for privacy reasons, ask the clerk for the dimensions and weight of the parcel.

Then go to the FedEx UK website and figure out the probable cost of shipping from there yourself.

Had it been from US>Canada, no duty.  But from UK>Canada, duty.

Duty is based on place of manufacture,  not on place of purchase.

If the item were made in Mexico, but purchased in Honduras, it would probably enter duty-free under NAFTA. But not vice versa.

In any case, you would be paying Sales Tax, no matter where it was made or purchased.

The Seller declared a much lower value than the item is worth

You know what it's worth.

It's worth what you paid for it. That is on your eBay invoice.

It the problem that the seller listed this as Free Shipping? That's unusual for international sales.

or request a partial refund from the Seller for these additional expenses. 

What additional expenses?

You  are responsible for paying Canadian duty and sales taxes on item you import. Not the seller.

The exception (and it is not really an exception) is a purchase shipped through the Global Shipping Program.

With the GSP you pay import fees, before the seller ships, that cover applicable duty, sales tax and a service fee of about $5USD to PitneyBowes who operate the program.

When the seller uses a courier you pay on the doorstep applicable duty, sales tax, and a service fee of $25 or more to the courier.

You can open a Dispute with Paypal at any time, but I can't see on what basis.

The item has not been delivered, but not because of anything the seller has done. You are refusing the parcel by refusing to pay the applicable importation costs.

The item is not Not As Described. You haven't got it, so you can't say it isn't exactly what you ordered.

And dropshipping (taking orders filled by a third party often overseas) is not 'eBay illegal'.

If you refuse the parcel, and it returns to the seller (or his UK supplier), he would probably be allowed to charge restocking before refunding you. And that restocking could easily be the cost of shipping both ways.

This strikes me as a question of Mohammed and the molehill.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

I recommend purchasing from Canadian Sellers. Here is a screenshot of "Canada only" items on the left side of all searches on the classic site. You can also do this on the eBay mobile app in the search results filter button.

Lots of eBay Canadian sellers price items extremely competitively for any market/country. For example, my store, like a lot of Canadian sellers, has very competitive pricing, and you don't have to worry about the logistics of international shipping
Message 3 of 3
latest reply