selling on ebay with a store

bwalton
Community Member

I can't find this listed anywhere, in Canada is the cost of a store say $24.95 taxable so $24.95 +HST  ?

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@bwalton wrote:

I can't find this listed anywhere, in Canada is the cost of a store say $24.95 taxable so $24.95 +HST  ?

I'm surprised. there are a number of long-winded threads about GST/HST and eBay.ca

As of 2016 the official eBay position:

"eBay does not collect GST or HST on seller fees."

"eBay.ca rolls up to eBay International AG in Switzerland, therefore, we do not collect or remit GST."

-..-

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

None of the eBay seller fees are currently taxable so there is no hst.

Basic store -$24.95 month to month or $19.95/ month if you commit for a year subscription.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@bwalton wrote:

Thanks

If you are new to selling on eBay and plan on getting an eBay store right away, do not do this when starting out. A new seller has listing limits of 10 items i believe and gradually goes up as you sell. Getting a store with 250 free listings does not increase your selling limits so do not get a store for that reason. You will have a limit of 50 items after 3 months if you are successful selling and not be able to use the 250 free listings each month.

I would suggest not thinking about a store until you have a year experience selling on eBay and have a hundred sales or so. It takes that long to begin to know what you are doing.

What are your plans for selling on eBay and what is your experience in selling online and in the world outside eCommerce? A lot to learn if you have no experience at all. Selling as a business or just selling from home unwanted personal items?

To gain experience on eBay, you should try selling inexpensive items that are small and easy to ship. Shipping is the most difficult needed skill to learn. Knowing what shipping methods are available and when to use them. To make money on eBay from Canada with such high shipping costs, buying items that sell on eBay at a very low cost with a good margin and shipping at the lowest cost are the keys to success.

"look before you leap".

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thanks for the info,  I have sold on an off on ebay for quite a few years although not on this account, I will have to check and see on my selling account if I would have to start "fresh" because I have been off for awhile or if the old stats would carry forward. I had a store before but I couldn't remember about the tax........

Thanks Again to all those that replied

Bill

Message 5 of 5
latest reply