shipping charges

Hello everyone!  Three weeks ago I purchased a geisha girl doll from a seller in the U.S. The doll is 17 inches long but weighs not even two pounds.  I received the doll today and noticed that even though I was charged 40.00 shipping and handling the postage sticker on the box shows that the seller paid 10.83 to ship it here.  The doll is a llittle rougher around the edges than stated in it's description before I purchased it also.  The doll stands tilted on her stand and her head wobbles around when it should'nt.  I'm not terribly happy about the purchase but buyer beware I guess.  But those shipping charges.  I don't know!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

shipping charges

I hear ya, I hear ya. 🙂  The theory goes that because you bought and paid, you accept the charges and are apparently supposed to be content about it.  But if you were raised in an environment where honesty and integrity are important values, then that $40 seems like deceptive trickery, -- the seller 'pretends' to offer an item at a reasonable price, though the shipping fee is high, - out of the seller's control, right?  Sometimes shipping fees are indeed high and we have to chunk it down.  What your seller did makes you feel scammed.  You could always file a Not as Described claim, but as I'm sure you know the expense would not be worth it.  So I'd suggest you express your opinions in feedback and DSRs for that seller.  It is, after all, why the feedback system exists.  And yes, you are correct, - there is a lot of 'buyer beware' on ebay.  Though depending on your perspective, it 'can' be part of the fun. 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

shipping charges

The seller showed poor judgement in moving part of his profit to the shipping.  I will assume that you considered the total price reasonable until you saw the postage label.

However, the doll from your description is definitely Not As Described. (a llittle rougher around the edges than stated-tilted on her stand and her head wobbles)

I would suggest contacting the seller with the description problems and ask for a full refund on return.

If he refuses, go to Paypal with a NAD dispute.

You will be required to return the doll with Delivery Confirmation, which is Expedited USA. Use the seller's own packaging as much as possible.

The seller is not required to refund your return postage, but do let him know what it is. Paypal may have to force the refund, but PP will not refund return postage.

Expedited USA carries up to $100 insurance against loss or damage in shipping. You can add more insurance, but frankly stuff rarely gets lost in the mail, so it should not be necessary. If the shipment is valued at over $250, you will need to purchase Signature Confirmation.

Don't mention the shipping charge. Concentrate on getting your money back on the Description. As dmil says, you are deemed to have agreed to the shipping when you bid, and how much the seller spent on postage (there are more costs to shipping than postage of course) is not an acceptable reason for a forced refund.

You have 45 days for a Dispute. You have 60 days for feedback. When you leave feedback you will be asked to Rate the dealer on communication, description, shipping time, and shipping charge. The normal Rating is 5, the lowest Rating is ONE.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

shipping charges

I hear ya, I hear ya. 🙂  The theory goes that because you bought and paid, you accept the charges and are apparently supposed to be content about it.  But if you were raised in an environment where honesty and integrity are important values, then that $40 seems like deceptive trickery, -- the seller 'pretends' to offer an item at a reasonable price, though the shipping fee is high, - out of the seller's control, right?  Sometimes shipping fees are indeed high and we have to chunk it down.  What your seller did makes you feel scammed.  You could always file a Not as Described claim, but as I'm sure you know the expense would not be worth it.  So I'd suggest you express your opinions in feedback and DSRs for that seller.  It is, after all, why the feedback system exists.  And yes, you are correct, - there is a lot of 'buyer beware' on ebay.  Though depending on your perspective, it 'can' be part of the fun. 🙂

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

shipping charges

The seller showed poor judgement in moving part of his profit to the shipping.  I will assume that you considered the total price reasonable until you saw the postage label.

However, the doll from your description is definitely Not As Described. (a llittle rougher around the edges than stated-tilted on her stand and her head wobbles)

I would suggest contacting the seller with the description problems and ask for a full refund on return.

If he refuses, go to Paypal with a NAD dispute.

You will be required to return the doll with Delivery Confirmation, which is Expedited USA. Use the seller's own packaging as much as possible.

The seller is not required to refund your return postage, but do let him know what it is. Paypal may have to force the refund, but PP will not refund return postage.

Expedited USA carries up to $100 insurance against loss or damage in shipping. You can add more insurance, but frankly stuff rarely gets lost in the mail, so it should not be necessary. If the shipment is valued at over $250, you will need to purchase Signature Confirmation.

Don't mention the shipping charge. Concentrate on getting your money back on the Description. As dmil says, you are deemed to have agreed to the shipping when you bid, and how much the seller spent on postage (there are more costs to shipping than postage of course) is not an acceptable reason for a forced refund.

You have 45 days for a Dispute. You have 60 days for feedback. When you leave feedback you will be asked to Rate the dealer on communication, description, shipping time, and shipping charge. The normal Rating is 5, the lowest Rating is ONE.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply