shipping cost the same or more than the item.

t42david
Community Member

It is not so much as a question than a complaint.

I am a model cars hobbyist. I love to assemble kit cars as well as purchasing assembled ones.

So, when i saw the Toys and hobbies section, I was excited.

I started to make a purchase, and it shocked me to realize that in some items, the shipping is sometinmes equal to ot greater than the item itself.

So, if I want to buy a die-cast for $33 , plus $33 shipping, it will end up costing me $60. That's nuts.

I will never buy items from that category.

t42David

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Shipping costs are not related to the cost of the item. It can cost me $12 to ship a paperback to Alberta from here in Ontario, for example.

Only items that are more less than 2 cm thick and 500 grams can be sent by Canada Post's relatively cheap letter rate.

While US sellers can ship up to 4 pounds by First Class International which is again "relatively" cheap, this service is neither trackable nor insured automatically. US sellers, used to cheap domestic tracking, will often use Global Priority which starts around $20.

There is a strategy. Contact the seller, before bidding, and ask if he is willing to use a less expensive shipping method. Some will, some won't. Be aware that until you have some feedback, you are working with no reputation to help you make those negotiations.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

What if you bought a heavy item for only $1? Do you think shipping should also be $1? The shipping would be based on the shipping weight, size of the box, shipping method and destination. Shipping would be nowhere near $1.

When you buy online, think of the overall price including shipping. Is the item worth $60? If shipping is too expensive, do not buy from that particular seller.

I do not know if you buy from the US or not but the USPS raises their prices almost every January and most postal services these days are very expensive. It's not just sellers out to overcharge buyers. Shipping really is expensive.

**********************************************************************************

Non payers should get unpaid item strikes and be added to block bidders lists. Period.
Message 3 of 3
latest reply