$ signs

More and more I see the $ sign being put behind the figure, such as 3400$, just the way it sounds but not the way I was taught, such was $3400.

I recently saw a news clip showing a Canadian federal finace clip.  It showed a portion of a document and the $ sign was behind the figure, such as, 567,000,000$.

Which is correct?  Did I miss a day of school when this was taught?   

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: $ signs

Opps.....should have typed.....such as $3400.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

This is Canada.  Different standards, even on eBay.

on eBay.ca, you will see (for example) C$34.56

on eBay.cafr, for the same item you will see 34,56$C

Notice that the decimal point "." is replaced in French by a comma ","

Vive la difference! 🙂

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

34,56$C is gibberish to me, Pierre.

Whoever came up with that corruption should be taken outside and flogged.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

How currency is expressed depends on the eBay site you either visit or where your buyer is registered.

For example, on eBay.fr (France) the price will be shown as 18,90 EUR

The same listing on eBay.de (Germany) will show EUR 18,90

etc...

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

I forgot to mention that the same listing on eBay.uk (United Kingdom) will show as EUR 18.90

You will notice the British use a decimal period (.) while the Europeans use the comma (,)

Different standards, that's all.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

eBay.ca and eBay.cafr still represent the same currency in the same country, so I dunno why they get expressed differently.  Quit sticking up for Rodney; he screwed up!

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

" so I dunno why they get expressed differently."

Different languages, that is why.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

As the originator of this post I was noting the everyday useage of the $ sign.  No reference to Ebay.  I see the $ sign behind the numbers on childrens and adult notes.  I'm over 60 years old and only in the past couple years have I seen this so prevelent. 

Pierre I don't understand what you mean by "This is Canada. Different standards....".  Standards by who's teachings?  Public schools, private schools, Catholic Schools, rich, poor, working, non working?  Different from Province to province? 

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Take a look at:

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/11326/what-is-the-difference-between-20-and-20 

"Standards by who's teachings?"

Governments.

Check the website of the federal government and you will see dollars are expressed differently in English and French.

For example:

http://www.budget.gc.ca/2012/themes/theme1-fra.html

http://www.budget.gc.ca/2012/themes/theme1-eng.html 

You will notice the "$" in English in front of the number while it is located after the number in French. Those are the correct standards.

As I stated earlier, simply different language standards in Canada.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

😉

" so I dunno why they get expressed differently."

Different languages, that is why.

Yeah,  understand that $1.00 is a dollar, is a loonie, is a oiseau aquatique, but just how come "." got replaced with "," ?  That doesn't make sense to me.  $123,456.78 is also 123,456,78 $?    

I think this is some sinister European conspiracy.   Are kids gonna get taught to put a comma at the end of a sentence?

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

"I think this is some sinister European conspiracy"

It is a free country,  Everyone is allowed to believe in whatever conspiracy theory they wish!

Since the change seems to have been made in the last six years or so, why don't you contact the Prime Minister and give him your opinion on the subject!

🙂

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

The buck stops $here.

No, the buck stops $here.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I wasn't aware of this change until this thread got posted.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

"I wasn't aware of this change"

I guess you do not often read government stuff in French! 🙂

Actually, I do not know exactly when the change took place but, I suspect, it was a gradual thing.

It is a bit like the change from imperial to metric decades ago. Most people I now refer to speed as k/h (metric) but weight is still expressed in pounds (imperial)!  Even national sites such as Canada Post realize many Canadians still use the old system and offer the choice in their calculator.

Another change that took me by surprise a few years ago was the fact that in Quebec, a woman cannot simply take her husband's last name after the marriage ceremony.  If she wants to change her name on her drivers licence for example, she must go through the legal process of changing her last name legally.

http://www.etatcivil.gouv.qc.ca/en/change-name.html 

It was not like that in the "good old days".

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

aqyera
Community Member

Metric system is more complete, strictly 10-based, vs imperial is what: 12 based  (as in in/foot) or 16 based (as in oz/lb). How do you express huge weight in imperial (as Tonne, kT or MT in metric)

Stores in Canada use pounds because price per pound is less than price per kg. Nobody wants to be the first to start using kg.

When using comma as decimal point, you don't use comma for thousand sepaarato, but a space.

Older folks are proud of their inches and pounds and dollar prefix, while younger generation  has no problem using both.

Another thing - time. Europeans use 24hr format, North America uses 12hr format.

Just for the record, US military uses kilometers and 24hr format 🙂

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

I have found this very interesting.  Thanks for the knots in the thread.  Never to old to be enlightened as to something diffierent. 

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Be careful when using the ca or com site because if you

use a comma if will overcharge you.

Ex.   $1,00  will show up as $100.00 bid

so always verify your bid before final click

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

"Since the change seems to have been made in the last six years or so"

I would say more than 6 years. I was thaught to use a coma and the dollar sign more than 10 years ago. That was in my college years, when I learned how to be a technical assistant (in 1997-1998-1999).

French: 4 000,67 $ (no coma between 4 and 0)

English: $4,000.67

Message 19 of 19
latest reply