I would like to get some thoughts about this little box in my auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1523&item=2985390516
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

thoughts on the little box in my Auctions please

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
Totally distracting! I personally get upset everytime I want to see something and these dam things pop up.

The way I see it, someone has already decided to see the exact item you are selling and you are diverting their attention away from it rather than forcing them to focus on what brought them to that listing.

I would put that box on someone else's listing to re-direct potential buyers to you but not on your own listing when you have already caught the person's attention.

Malcolm
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
I just went back to have a second look. Most inept computer users will struggle with trying to read behind the icon which conveniently blocks the first 4 letters of eight lines of your item description.

Also there are no options for someone to close it so they are stuck with it as they read your listing desription and terms etc.

When I look at it, I put myself in the place of a buyer and not as a fellow PSer and I would tend to be more upset with the distraction than jump in to look at other listings you might have knowing that each one is going to have another pop up dancing around, all over, what I am trying to read.

Malcolm

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
The Java box runs down the side of the auction . However , from the seven monitors in the office . That we previewed from , it does not seem to block any of our typed text we set into the auction or our graphics.

We are considering this for our blow-out $1.00 auctions

Todd
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
I'm with Malcolm on this one.

In fact, I even find it more annoying that those darn javascripts that follow your cursor everywhere. When I encounter one of those I immediately leave the auction.

I would always prefer a clean, simple presentation of product when I'm shopping. I can get tricks and dog & pony shows elsewhere.

Bill

Bill

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Sorry, but I don't like it either. I find it distracting. I consider it a turn-off.

Michael

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
Todd
I checked it on 3 X 17" monitors here and the same thing with all of them, it blocks typed words right into your description by 4 full letters and a bit more.

Do you want to risk how many other people with 14" and 15" and 17" monitors wont see your full listings and will just go to someone else's listings?

And the further point I raised and Bill concurs, these things are one of the most annoying pop ups on the net.

If you are going to use it, at least give people the opportunity to click somewhere on it to get rid of it from blocking their ability to see your listing without distractions.

Personally, I'd opt for keeping your listing clean and easy to read and skip the java tricks, also a real pain in the butt for many of your US customers and some Canadians on dial up.

The other side of it, from a PS marketing standpoint, you have a potential customer that has gone directly to your listing because they are interested in that exact item and you are trying to get them to look at something else. not a wise thing to do.

It's not unlike someone wanting to purchase a car, very interested in one particular one, drove to the dealership because they saw the listing and the salesman is telling the person "I know you want that car, but let me show you all this other stuff I have to sell."

In retail, the most difficult part of selling is getting the person in your front door. The person that decides to look at your listing has come into your store and rather than giving them the chance to look at what brought them into your store, you are consistently throwing a sales banner in their face wherever they go on your listing telling them to look at something else.

It just doesnt make any marketing sense at all. The only way it would make sense is when the person was exiting your listing and then the little java box popped up giving them an option to see other things you have, otherwise I am one person who would immediatley click my way to someone else's listings.

Malcolm

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

The problem with the blocked letters is the resolution. If I run 800 x 600 it blocks some of the wording. If I run my resolution at 1024 x 768 its doesn't block any wording, but I still don't like it.
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member

I really don't like it either.

I try to generate store business by offering the same product as I'm currently auctioning as a "Buy in Now for $$$ in my eBay store AAAAA" with a link right at the top of the auction. I also mention that other similar items of interest may be found in the store at the end of the description.

I find this works well for me as if a customer prefers to Buy it Now they immediately have that option but my auction listings (aka store advertising) are not cut short by an eBay "Buy it Now".

While this may not work for all product lines, when I compare the cost of auction listings as opposed to store listings this seems to be the most cost effective method for my type of listings.

Just a thought.....
Monique

Monique

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

muminlaw
Community Member
Todd, I think if you made it a fixed position box rather than floating, it wouldn't be annoying and would be more likely to generate some extra sales. As it is, I'm afraid I'm another who just finds it annoying and distracting.

I also think Malcolm raises a very good point about not adding anything that will slow down the page loading for people still using dial-up ... and there are a lot of them! Personally, I prefer people to be spending their money on my collectables rather than the latest and greatest in computer equipment.

Glenda

Glenda

Click here to go to my Store
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

itrecovery
Community Member
I don't like it. Annoing, I woudl leave this page faster.
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

coastwindchimes
Community Member
Had a look, and agree with most that you should get rid of it. Shows on my computer as a Very annoying box, that sometimes sticks to the top as I scroll down, but also reproduces further down. It also blocks your text. Nice try though.
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

catseye*
Community Member
Really slow loading of whole auction for me (on cable)

*JMHO* - to be taken with a grain of salt!
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

aa-surplus
Community Member
wow is all I said as that is the most annoying thing It makes me think of spam and that makes me just click quicker to the next person items and bypass your.

just my 2 cents as I see it...
I have a 21" monitor so I can see everything ok but the darn thing follows me and distracts me.

Cheers,

aa-surplus
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Todd,
I did not find it slow to load but I did find it distracting.

But that's not the real issue.

Does it sell more stuff or not???

If it does Great! IF not drop it.

Run some tests & see how & where it works best.

Some of the best advertisements that make the most money are the most annoying.

It's a pretty cool dity & seems like it should have it's place somewhere.

All the best,
GW
Gehres

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

www-labels4less-com
Community Member
Sheesh I'm always white when everyones black and vice versa. I really like it. It did not block text on my monitor however I use a 19". I think its a heck of a way to get people to your ebay store.

Having said that, noting the other replies saying it is blocking text of the auction, I would figure out something else.
Message 16 of 16
latest reply