tracking numbers in canada

anonymous_12345
Community Member

I was wondering. Does every package get a tracking number once it passes through canadian customs or is it only if it had one to start with? And also how will I find out what that number is once it has arrived in canada? I have one package with tracking and two without, and they're all coming from china.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Only if it had one to start with.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

anonymous_12345
Community Member

ty but that only answers half of my question XD

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

" Does every package get a tracking number once it passes through canadian customs"

NO

"And also how will I find out what that number is once it has arrived in canada?"

Only if it has a tracking number AND the parcel gerts scanned by Canada Post.

"And also how will I find out what that number is once it has arrived in canada?"

The tracking number remains the same, if it existed.  Many "numbers" supplied by sellers are not "tracking numbers" as such.  They are reference numbers for their local postal service.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Lately Pierre, we have had a problem with CP adding their own tracking number to USPS Priority & Express packages once they clear customs. This effectively makes the packages disappear until they  show up at your door.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Are they delivered by Canada Post or Purolator?

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

anonymous_12345
Community Member

I was told this morning by CP that once it will clear at customs, the tracking number I have from china will change but she wasnt able to tell me how to find out what that number will become

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Lately Pierre, we have had a problem with CP adding their own tracking number to USPS Priority & Express packages once they clear customs. This effectively makes the packages disappear until they  show up at your door.

I haven't noticed that but then I don't usually pay much attention to the tracking number unless something is really late. Were those items shipped in a small flat rate box or flat rate envelope?

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

"I was told this morning by CP that ...will change but she wasnt able to tell me how to find out what that number will become"

If the folks working at Canada Post cannot tell you how to find their tracking number, ..... who can?

You will find out eventually when the parcels arrive. See how their tracking works at that time.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

anonymous_12345
Community Member

I think I just got bad luck with a new employee because that's what she told me (''I'm pretty new to the subject'') Also, my seller told me that my package was at customs. How did he find that out because the only thing I see when I track it is that it has left china??

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

" my seller told me that my package was at customs"

That sounds like a very good excuse to answer any inquiry about shipping delay.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

anonymous_12345
Community Member

Indeed I thought the same thing 😞 even though I was hoping he had an actual way of knowing.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

The employee at the Post Office who was a NEWBIE should have asked for assistance and you as a customer should have requested a correct answer to your problem. 

If the seller entered the tracking information via Ebay procedures, you should have been notified by email. That email will lead you in the search for youe item.

Do not wait or your item may find its way back to the seller.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

anonymous_12345
Community Member

i already received that email when it was shipped but its a chinese tracking number and the package has already left china

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Are they delivered by Canada Post or Purolator?

Everything that we buy Pierre, comes through Canada Post unless the seller advertises that they belong to a UPS program that eliminates brokerage fees. There are very few that we know of that bother to do this.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

In this part of the world, when USPS uses "USPS Priority & Express packages" as stated in your earlier post, the parcels are delivered by Purolator, not Canada Post.

It may be a local thing.

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

Our packages have been clearly downgrade to " expedited " and a new sticker with a new tracking number has been placed over the USPS tracking number. This is being done in Richmond & Montreal. Our local PO has to be instructed to even scan a registered and expedited sticker when we mail them or it won't happen.

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

BTW, just try to get a courier company to come out to where we live ( lol ). We are only 100 Km from the nearest large city, but that mays as well be a 1000 to them.

Message 18 of 18
latest reply