what is the rationale for forcing Canadian to list in Canadian dollars instead of U.S. currency?

I have lost a huge percentage of buyers since ebay forced me to switch my listings to Canadian currency and don't understand the rationale behind it.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

what is the rationale for forcing Canadian to list in Canadian dollars instead of U.S. currency?

"what is the rationale for forcing Canadian to list in Canadian dollars instead of U.S. currency?"

Like all international sellers, Canadians can continue to list and sell in US$ by listing on eBay.com

Canada was the only eBay international site with dual currencies.  Now, eBay-Canada will offer domestic currency only, like all other eBay sites.

I suspect it is more economical for eBay to operate a site in domestic currency (Cdn$) than offering dual currencies.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@aalan009 wrote:

I have lost a huge percentage of buyers since ebay forced me to switch my listings to Canadian currency and don't understand the rationale behind it.

They did not force you to do anything. You chose to list on ca in CDN dollars. List on com in greenbacks if you like, your choice.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

If your sales have slumped in the past two months, consider that it may have little to nothing to do with switching to CAD.

Many of us are experiencing lower-than-normal sales volumes, even for this time of year. My own came to a near-grinding halt at the same time news of the postal strike/lockout hit the airwaves and newspapers in mid-June, and I have been listing exclusively in CAD by choice since January of 2013. Summer holiday time is always slower than winter holiday time for me but this summer has been slower than usual and I know for certain for me that has absolutely nothing to do with listing currency. 

I wouldn't be so quick to blame switching to CAD if I were you but, if you truly believe that, it may be worth your time and effort to switch to ebay.com so you can list in USD. 

Best of luck to you. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

But to answer your actual question, the rationale is here http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/list-in-cad/index.html

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

The problem with listing in U.S. dollars on ebay.com as a Canadian, a sale is automatically referred to the U.S. postal service for shipping or for rate inquiries.  Obviously this is no way plausible when the seller is dealing with Canada Post.  It doesn't help, it doesn't work..  Ebay has just not thought this through.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

When listing on eBay.com, ALL international sellers (not just Canadians) face the same problem with shipping charge.

eBay.com is the main site built by Americans for American buyers and sellers.

International buyers and sellers are welcome to use it if they want to buy or sell in US$ (all other eBay sites use their domestic currency, including Canada in Cdn$).  However, there is the challenge of calculating the shipping charge.

Sellers have a few options:

1) include the shipping charge in the selling price and sell on a "free shipping" basis.  You will notice that the majority of all listings on eBay.com (more than 50%) do in fact offer "free shipping" to the USA.  If international sellers (including Canadians) want to compete with Americans on their own turf, we will have to play by their rules.

2) use a fixed shipping charge (works well with small, light items, not so much with larger, heavier or bulk items)

3) list on the domestic site (eBay.ca for Canadians) in domestic currency (Cdn$ on eBay.ca) and use the shipping calculator offered by Canada Post.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@aalan009 wrote:

The problem with listing in U.S. dollars on ebay.com as a Canadian, a sale is automatically referred to the U.S. postal service for shipping or for rate inquiries.  Obviously this is no way plausible when the seller is dealing with Canada Post.  It doesn't help, it doesn't work..  Ebay has just not thought this through.

Side issue: Why do you have surface shipping for International? That takes way too long and leaves you open to item-not-received claims. Consider using Small Packet International Air (under 2kg) as an alternative.

-..-

A Canadian listing on eBay.COM and shipping from Canada can't use calculated shipping. Has to be flat rate.

Your books that you currently have listed could be flat rate listed on eBay.COM and shipped to the USA using

Under 500g, under 2cm thick: oversize lettermail, light packet

Under 1kg: small packet, tracked packet

You would pick one of these generic flat rate shipping choices when listing on eBay.com

To the USA
All flat rate, no calculated, with expected delivery time.

Economy Shipping from outside US (11 to 23 business days)
Standard Shipping from outside US (6 to 10 business days)
Expedited Shipping from outside US (1 to 4 business days)
Flat rate Freight

-.-

Outside the USA, to the rest of the world (including Canada)
All flat rate, no calculated, countries are selectable.

Economy Int'l Shipping
Standard Int'l Shipping
Expedited Int'l Shipping

You can have up to 5 separate International rates for countries you
select plus can have "Require buyers to contact you for international
shipping costs" as a choice. This last International option allows the
potential buyer to ask for a cost and you can calculate a shipping cost to their country.

-..-

Message 8 of 8
latest reply