what to do if buyer received broken item?

stancad
Community Member

Hi,

I received a message from a buyer that the item I sent was broken.

Since this is my first bad luck, can you tell me what to do. I told the buyer that I would refund the cost of the item. Do I have to pay for the shipping also?.

Thanks again.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
6 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

If you don't want the item back, and don't want to see pictures of the broken item (you are entitled to one or the other) and you are content to take the buyer's word for it, - then you may as well refund the whole thing.  This is because if the buyer opens a Not as Described claim, whilst he will be required to return it to you at his own expense, you will be required to refund the item price + original shipping fee.  Have a look at Section 4 of the following link:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html

An open claim looks really bad on your record (as does a lost claim) so you want to avoid it if you possibly can.  More importantly, the buyer can leave feedback.  Your pretty new turquoise star has 100%, and a neg would really impact that.  So I strongly urge you to keep it sweet, - even if it hurts. 😄

Your emails with this buyer will give you the best sense of what to do and how to conduct yourself, but since you could be forced to refund anyway, you may as well do it.  You can send a nice note of sympathetic apology when you do (you don't have to mean a word of it) so that the buyer thinks highly of you.  And when the dust has finally settled, promptly add the person to your blocked list:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/manage_bidders_ov.html#block

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Hi 'stan',

Absolutely you can ask.  According to the link I posted, a partial refund is one of the options.  The buyer's tone in her emails will give you a clue how this will go over.  There are many kinds of people in the world, and some would be grateful for a refund of the item price minus $hipping, and others will get snarly and want all their money back. 

You, however, want 2 things:  you want her to refrain from opening a claim and you want a pretty green circle.  How much money she spent and how easy-going she is will determine how she responds.

Was your shipping fee to her very expensive?  That will also help you decide what to do.  A full and complete refund greatly increases your chances of a positive outcome.  After all, you have been saving up a bit of 'cookie jar' insurance for just such an occasion, haven't you? 🙂

What does her other outgoing feedback look like?  Is she one of those picky 'impossible' types?  Or does she take the good with the bad and is generally quite happy with everything?

Personally, - as you say the photos definitely depict your item (I've heard of 'swapping out', ... hahaha!) and the item is indeed damaged, - if it were me, I'd give her a full refund.  That means item price plus shipping fee.  I can't tell you what to do, but that's what I would do.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Oh, and after you've given your buyer her full refund 😉  - which you will want to do quickly, no point in delaying - be sure to find a reliable vendor to sell you some bubble wrap.  Lots of it.  And when you wrap fragile items, use lots of it.  Sure, it's not free and maybe not even cheap, but refunds are even more expensive.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

You've been selling all this time, -- what did you do with the money you earned, - blow it all on wine, women and song?  Hmmm, I suppose suggesting a book on 'money managment' would be terribly imprudent of me.:^O

And it is also a bit late in the day for me to say that as a seller you need to always have sufficient funds in your pp account for these situations.  Refunds happen.  So of course you are going to get clobbered half-senseless now about putting a credit card on your paypal account... 😉

First thing, - get some money into your paypal account, and leave it there.  Put in more than just this little dibby-dab.  Sure it's mid-summer, but the money will not rot, spoil, go bad, or evaporate.  Then tell your buyer something nice about the delay, - and be sure she is getting a full refund for all this.

She'll have to wait a few days for the money but if you maintain pleasant and sincere contact, I'm sure she will pardon your mistake,-- so long as you refund her the very second you have sufficient funds with which to do it.

Oh, - and cookie jar insurance is a self-insurance permissible on ebay Canada whereby sellers pad their shipping fees or item price by a teensy bit and set that amount aside.  Quite literally, - it's not added profit, it's insurance, - and when a refund happens you just make a claim to your "insurance company" by lifting the lid on the jar! 😄

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Honestly, 'stan', anybody who would leave you a negative would have to have something wrong with them. 🙂

Alas, you may eventually find one or two in your travels.  ... Travails?:^O

Your buyer may have had unfortunate experiences with other sellers and as such could be a bit suspicious of a 'promised' refund.  In this case I believe your forthright and sincere communication should assuage any apprehensions she may have.  When she gets her money back, coupled with your genuine kindness, I do not believe she could leave you a negative, - certainly not, and still live in her own skin.

Wishing you well with it. 🙂

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Oh, ... and I guess you sing, though, do ya? 😄

Message 10 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

If you don't want the item back, and don't want to see pictures of the broken item (you are entitled to one or the other) and you are content to take the buyer's word for it, - then you may as well refund the whole thing.  This is because if the buyer opens a Not as Described claim, whilst he will be required to return it to you at his own expense, you will be required to refund the item price + original shipping fee.  Have a look at Section 4 of the following link:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html

An open claim looks really bad on your record (as does a lost claim) so you want to avoid it if you possibly can.  More importantly, the buyer can leave feedback.  Your pretty new turquoise star has 100%, and a neg would really impact that.  So I strongly urge you to keep it sweet, - even if it hurts. 😄

Your emails with this buyer will give you the best sense of what to do and how to conduct yourself, but since you could be forced to refund anyway, you may as well do it.  You can send a nice note of sympathetic apology when you do (you don't have to mean a word of it) so that the buyer thinks highly of you.  And when the dust has finally settled, promptly add the person to your blocked list:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/manage_bidders_ov.html#block

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

stancad
Community Member

hi dmi,

the buyer sent me a picture. One is missing it's head,lol and the other is only chipped. the buyer said that it does not show on the picture. but, i believe that the customer is always right. I mentioned in the email that she can keep the figurines and try to glue the little pieces and have at least one good figurine. I would still refund her. Is it okay to ask for a partial refund?

Thanks

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Hi 'stan',

Absolutely you can ask.  According to the link I posted, a partial refund is one of the options.  The buyer's tone in her emails will give you a clue how this will go over.  There are many kinds of people in the world, and some would be grateful for a refund of the item price minus $hipping, and others will get snarly and want all their money back. 

You, however, want 2 things:  you want her to refrain from opening a claim and you want a pretty green circle.  How much money she spent and how easy-going she is will determine how she responds.

Was your shipping fee to her very expensive?  That will also help you decide what to do.  A full and complete refund greatly increases your chances of a positive outcome.  After all, you have been saving up a bit of 'cookie jar' insurance for just such an occasion, haven't you? 🙂

What does her other outgoing feedback look like?  Is she one of those picky 'impossible' types?  Or does she take the good with the bad and is generally quite happy with everything?

Personally, - as you say the photos definitely depict your item (I've heard of 'swapping out', ... hahaha!) and the item is indeed damaged, - if it were me, I'd give her a full refund.  That means item price plus shipping fee.  I can't tell you what to do, but that's what I would do.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Oh, and after you've given your buyer her full refund 😉  - which you will want to do quickly, no point in delaying - be sure to find a reliable vendor to sell you some bubble wrap.  Lots of it.  And when you wrap fragile items, use lots of it.  Sure, it's not free and maybe not even cheap, but refunds are even more expensive.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

stancad
Community Member

Hi again dmi,

what is " cookie jar " insurance?

I have a little problem.

I don't have enough money in my paypal account. I have money in my bank account, but that will take 6 to 8 days to transfer, right?.

What do I do?

Thanks for your time.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

You've been selling all this time, -- what did you do with the money you earned, - blow it all on wine, women and song?  Hmmm, I suppose suggesting a book on 'money managment' would be terribly imprudent of me.:^O

And it is also a bit late in the day for me to say that as a seller you need to always have sufficient funds in your pp account for these situations.  Refunds happen.  So of course you are going to get clobbered half-senseless now about putting a credit card on your paypal account... 😉

First thing, - get some money into your paypal account, and leave it there.  Put in more than just this little dibby-dab.  Sure it's mid-summer, but the money will not rot, spoil, go bad, or evaporate.  Then tell your buyer something nice about the delay, - and be sure she is getting a full refund for all this.

She'll have to wait a few days for the money but if you maintain pleasant and sincere contact, I'm sure she will pardon your mistake,-- so long as you refund her the very second you have sufficient funds with which to do it.

Oh, - and cookie jar insurance is a self-insurance permissible on ebay Canada whereby sellers pad their shipping fees or item price by a teensy bit and set that amount aside.  Quite literally, - it's not added profit, it's insurance, - and when a refund happens you just make a claim to your "insurance company" by lifting the lid on the jar! 😄

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

stancad
Community Member

it's me again dmiB-)

you are a great person.

by the way, i don't drink alchol,lol

i know, i should have extra money in paypal, but most of the time i'm buying more than selling.

i will have to beg for forgiveness.

i will send a full refund for sure.

i hope she will be patient and except my apologize.

after paying her, can she still give neg. feedback, i hope not.

thanks again, and have a pleasant evening.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Honestly, 'stan', anybody who would leave you a negative would have to have something wrong with them. 🙂

Alas, you may eventually find one or two in your travels.  ... Travails?:^O

Your buyer may have had unfortunate experiences with other sellers and as such could be a bit suspicious of a 'promised' refund.  In this case I believe your forthright and sincere communication should assuage any apprehensions she may have.  When she gets her money back, coupled with your genuine kindness, I do not believe she could leave you a negative, - certainly not, and still live in her own skin.

Wishing you well with it. 🙂

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Oh, ... and I guess you sing, though, do ya? 😄

Message 10 of 10
latest reply