why does Paypal refund a buyer before tracked package is considered lost?

I recently had a parcel delayed in the mail. Buyer was arrogant and demanded a refund through ebay on the 4th business day after expected delivery/first contact with seller after shipped. I filed a service ticket with Canada post, and had daily emails from buyer complaining and demanding refund. On the 8th business day, buyer escalated to ebay again, and money was refunded by Paypal with a "Thank you" for my refund, which I did not allow. I was not contacted by ebay or paypal for any info.

Item was delivered the next day.Customer refunded the money, but based on the info Paypal stated, they cannot force refund of monies.

How can Paypal give money back before the TRACKED package is considered lost by the carrier?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

The short version is paypal makes it's own rules...

In your case if Canada post did not refund you anything I would contact paypal and fight until they give you the money and if you fight long and hard you might just get it ...

I had this happen to me a few times and one time about 2 years ago I fought until Paypal forked over $185 ....

It was the same things.. I uploaded tracking for the dispute took a total of something like 19 day to get to germany and the buyer escalated and not even 24hrs after the parcel was delivered and I fought with paypal for about 1hr on the phone and they ended up flipping the bill

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Do appeal.

BTW, has the refund been taken out of your account or was it paid by Paypal?

Sometimes they will pay the buyer without penalizing the seller.  And under the GSP, Pitney Bowes seems to be paying refunds rather than the original seller.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

this is why there is a delay in paypal transactions to protect both buyer and seller. look at it as buyer mediator seller. buyer gives $$ to mediator who holds onto it. seller send buyer item. buyer doesn't receive item goes to paypal. paypal pretty much says here's your money back but we are monitoring you closely because we'll know when you get the TRACKED package. then paypal actually has the power to take the money back and give it to seller once package is signed for same thing happened to me twice in the same month. buying AND selling

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

......when you get the TRACKED package. then paypal actually has the power to take the money back and give it to seller once package is signed for same thing happened to me twice in the same month. buying AND selling

If that is how it happened, it is definitely not the norm. I've read about many cases when an item was confirmed as being delivered after refund and paypal did not get involved or refund the seller. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply