xpresspost USA

Printing an xpresspost label USA for the first time. I'm use to taping over the whole label (including barcode) with other shipping options and have checked with my PO they said it's fine to scan through.  I just taped over my xpresspost USA  label and noticed there is a section below the barcode for receivers name, signature and date.  Do you guys normally leave this whole section (including the bar code "packaging tape free" so they can write on the paper label with pen?  I like to tape over labels so the barcode can't rip or get wet from rain/snow.  Anyone who has experience please help out.

Also, I've been looking up how to reduce size of label when printing and most are saying to go to top of page and reduce size from 100% to 75-80.  When I print my lables whether it be on IE10 or firefox I don't have that option a separate smaller window opens up from pitney bowes and my only options are to print sample label or print label. There is no sizing options. I have also played around with printer settings and can't get it to reduce size and print right.  Also, does the size of the reduced bar code matter for scanning it for tracking?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: xpresspost USA

@vintagehockeysbest wrote:

... and noticed there is a section below the barcode for receivers name, signature and date.  Do you guys normally leave this whole section (including the bar code "packaging tape free" so they can write on the paper label with pen?

Personally, I always put tape on the address and bar code too. However, in the 2 occasions I've used XPresspost, I did not tape the section for the signature. I *think* they ask the customer to sign there and then scan that section and send it online for proof of signature. I may be wrong, but it's what I do anyway.

I can't comment on the other questions, because I honestly don't know. I never reduce the size of my labels.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

This is never an issue for me xpresspost within Canada because there is just an X marked on in the box saying signature required if you paid for it. They don't capture the signature on the actual label whereas xpresspost USA they do?

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

They don't capture the signature on the actual label whereas xpresspost USA they do?

Yes they do. This one has been archived, but I was able to see it when it was delivered: EM004419725CA.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

So you taped the barcode but not the signature section? Did you see the signature online the next day or just the delivery confirmation?

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Anytime I've had to sign for a parcel, I've signed my name directly on to the scanner, not on the label. I would be surprised if they do get people to sign the label these days.

Rather then use tape, you might want to get some labelopes...the plastic envelopes that you put the label in. If you have a venture one number, sign into the Canada Post site, go to venture one supplies and you can order them for free there.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

What PJ says. CP specifically says not to put tape over the labels.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Rather then use tape, you might want to get some labelopes...the plastic envelopes that you put the label in. 

Yes, labelopes are the answer to the OP's dilemma.  They are free, but just be aware that CP outlets do not like to hand them out over the counter.  As 'pj' indicated, the way to get a supply (although I believe they limit any one order to 50), is through Canada Post online.  There is no charge for the shipping either -- I was stunned when they showed up at my semi-rural doorstep sent by Xpresspost!  

I suspect the direct signature vs. signing on the digital screen may have to do with where the parcel is going.  I notice many of mine to the US show the recipient having signed on the label (as 'ladystark' noted).  Another good reason to get the labelopes, since they have a semi-perforation across the middle that can be cracked open to permit the label to be removed at the destination if necessary.

As for printing labels, I've had my nightmares with them.  Chrome doesn't work now for me (creates miniscule labels), some say Firefox doesn't either.  I'm now using IE 10, and have altered the margins, which had the effect of ensuring the entire content of the label gets printed without anything being cut off.  

Earlier, my labels couldn't be scanned by the P.O. for this reason (a very tiny portion of the bar code was not printing).  To change your IE margins, I believe you'll need to do so before you go into Paypal to print labels.  Do a search for my thread "Paypal labels - Tearing my hair out again", and see 'pococomputing's instructions on November 25, 2013 for how to fix the margins -- it works. 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I order laberlopes 100 at a time, I use 100 a month. I have set my re-order point at 20 and gonna change that to 30.
Photobucket
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

What PJ says. CP specifically says not to put tape over the labels.

I use labelopes because they are easier and they are free. Before I knew about them I taped over the labels after the ladies at the postal outlet suggested that I do so even though CP suggests that you don't. Perhaps the early scanners had a problem with scanning a code under the tape but I don't think that is still a problem.

I think the max for labelopes is 200 as that is what I ordered earlier this month. But perhaps that depends on how often you use online shipping?

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Went to PO and they would only give me 2 labelopes.  Scanners work through the labelope or do they pull your printed label out to scan it?  Do these labelopes come in different sizes?.. They are just a bit bigger than the 6x9 mailers (#0) I currently use.  Would like to start using 4x8 (#000) mailers and those labelopes would be way too large. Also, I can't shrink the paypal printing label to fit a 4x8 mailer the way it prints now and I know there is a way to shrink it down but after looking through the message board here haven't found a way to do it with the smaller "pitney bowes" screen popup when you attempt to print it.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Went to PO and they would only give me 2 labelopes.  Scanners work through the labelope or do they pull your printed label out to scan it?  Do these labelopes come in different sizes?.. They are just a bit bigger than the 6x9 mailers (#0) I currently use.  Would like to start using 4x8 (#000) mailers and those labelopes would be way too large. Also, I can't shrink the paypal printing label to fit a 4x8 mailer the way it prints now and I know there is a way to shrink it down but after looking through the message board here haven't found a way to do it with the smaller "pitney bowes" screen popup when you attempt to print it.

They hand them out with an eyedropper. You need to order them online or phone in an order. Phoned in orders take longer, I was told.

Yes, it reads through the plastic.

One size fits all. You can fold the labelope over the edge, label cannot be folded over, however.

Some here know how to shrink a label, I don't.

Different supplies make the same # in different sizes. I have two of #2 in my hand, one is 10mm all the way around larger. The bigger one is lighter as it is a bubble mailer. The smaller one is heavier as it padded. I prefer the padded ones, but, they are heavy.

Photobucket
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

There is something on the CP website called Adhesive Pouches for EST but I have no idea what the size is and if anyone can order them or if you need to be a commercial customer.You could probably phone CP for more information.

You could probably buy a smaller labelope at a stationary supply store but of course those wouldn't be free.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply