Best payment method on eBay?

Haven't purchased anything from eBay in over 10 years. Is PayPal still the best method to use when purchasing items off eBay? Do you just get extra protections using PayPal as a payment method on eBay? Is it fine to use credit card on eBay as well?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

For myself I still use PayPal for most online purchases (both here and other places) as I like the extended protection they offer. You can however use a credit card here directly as well if you wish, you will be given the option when you go to checkout. Either one works so it's up to you.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Your eBay purchase is protected by theMoney Back Guarantee for 30 days from delivery or last estimated date for delivery.

It's MONEY back,  not a replacement.

Generally, the seller pays for return shipping and can demand the return even if they have a No Returns policy.

Paypal can be used if the deadlineis missed, because it offers 180 days from Payment for claims. OTOH the Buyer pays for the return if the Seller demands it.

Back your PP account with a credit card, not a bank account or a debit card.  While card policies differ,  most allow 120-180 days for chargebacks.

If you buy with PP you have all three Buyer Protection programs working for you.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Okay, got another question. I'm from Canada buying an item in USD. In the PayPal checkout, I see that PayPal's conversion rate is a bit higher. Its just better I change the currency to USD so that it will use the conversion rate according to my credit card/bank correct?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

PayPal as mentioned by others...

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@bargain_hunter1991 wrote:

Okay, got another question. I'm from Canada buying an item in USD. In the PayPal checkout, I see that PayPal's conversion rate is a bit higher. Its just better I change the currency to USD so that it will use the conversion rate according to my credit card/bank correct?

It depends on who issued your credit card and possibly what sort of credit card it is. When I last checked, PayPal’s exchange rate was better than that of my Big Bank-issued Mastercard, but my credit union-issued VISA’s exchange rate was slightly better than PayPal’s.

P.S.  Just about all of us here on the eBay Canada discussion boards are Canadians like you, @bargain_hunter1991.  🤪

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Looks like my item arrived at Glendale Heights, IL. Looks like it could be stuck there for a week before it gets shipped to Canada? I was reading from other posts, that sometimes can be the case? I was hoping to get it this week. But the eBay delivery estimate was like April 8 to 15.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@bargain_hunter1991 wrote:

Looks like my item arrived at Glendale Heights, IL. Looks like it could be stuck there for a week before it gets shipped to Canada? I was reading from other posts, that sometimes can be the case? I was hoping to get it this week. But the eBay delivery estimate was like April 8 to 15.

I'm on Vancouver Island, where receiving direct mailed shipments from the 'States in two to three weeks isn't unusual.  I've even had letters take a month or more to reach me.  The two purchases I've made that were handled by eBay International Shipping arrived pretty much on the latest date given on the time estimate, and that was just shy of three weeks.  If you're in the GTA, I'd expect your item to arrive closer to the earliest date, but I think the long weekend will kibosh the chances of it arriving any earlier than that.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

PayPal as mentioned by others...

@bargain_hunter1991 

Not cash or CT money at the doorstep? That does save any tax or shipping costs!! Just your gas!! 🤣....Well, unless a plane is required!!!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply