Buyers Beware?

Well, heads up people. When ordering overseas, it can take longer then 30 days to receive your item. If it is not what you ordered, or you don't receive it at all, it's past the 30 day EBay buyer guarantee and you are screwed. Thats right, no help from EBay. Let the buyer beware. I contacted the seller, they told me they would send replacement items, I have documentation of all correspondence , seller was removed by EBay for fraudulent practice and... you guessed it, too bad for me. They came back under another name, same items, and yup, removed again.  So, if you have an item that is not as described, or not received within 30 days, don't be nice, report it, get your money back! EBay does not have your back. Somcover your own!! I have made over 150 purchase in my over 15 years on EBay including a car.  I have had success mostly, but lets face it, when the chips are down i expect ebay to come through. They didnt. Buyers, beware. Amazon, you just got a new prime memeber today. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Buyers Beware?

You do have 180 days from purchase to file through Paypal. Have you tried that?

You had 30 days AFTER the estimated arrival date to open a claim with ebay.  If ebay's estimated arrival time was 30 days you had another 30 days to open an item not received claim.Had you opened one, you would have received your money back.   It seems that the seller got you to wait until after that time by claiming they would send another one. The buyer protection system works quite well if you file within the time given, I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you!

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Buyers Beware?

On Dec 1, I ordered a $20 heating pad, the ad said the vendor or the item was in Vancouver.  Since I'm in Canada, I thought I'd get the item relatively quickly.  After a week I contacted the vendor and asked where the item was (I don't think the item was showing shipped at that point).  The vendor came back and asked for patience as the shipping method was chosen to minimize cost or some such.  Three days later I marked the item as "Did not Receive".  That seemed to open a dispute ticket (I don't think I was requesting a refund at that point) but within 3 minutes I got an email saying my payment was being refunded.  I went back and looked at the order and it said the seller was no long an ebay vendor.  I think what happened is that ebay recognized a problem with that vendor and anyone indicating problems was automatically given a refund.  I never did get that item, BTW, in case you're wondering if the item was indeed in the mail.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Buyers Beware?

I went back and looked at the order and it said the seller was no long an ebay vendor.

Exactly.

The seller had been spotted as a scammer, possibly from the Disputes opened by other buyers.

It takes months for a member to close his own account,because eBay allows time for all financial obligations to be settled, including disputes and fees.

When you look at the "Vancouver" seller's account, is there a long gap in the feedback?

There have been a lot of reports of abandoned accounts being hacked and used to list vapourware.

Smart buyers don't spend too much time talking to the seller. If he cannot provide shipping date, shipping service ,and tracking number OR  an immediate refund , the Resolution Centre is at the bottom of this page.

Full disclosure:  I'm a seller much more than a buyer.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Buyers Beware?

I got my order 40 days in and it didn't work.   I contacted seller and he said he would send another.   Then decided to put in a claim with ebay when replacement didn't arrive.  Seller contacted me and said they were sending a refund and if I would close the claim.   Silly me, closed the claim.    I can no longer find it on his site and have never received a refund.    Never close claim trusting the seller will follow through on promise.    I remind them daily that I haven't received refund.   He deleted my account and now says I have to send him email address to get a refund.    I did that in good faith, and guess what?  Nothing.   ustonok was the seller,   byer beware.   

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Buyers Beware?

As you now know, you should never close a claim until you have been refunded.  You also have to be careful when they say they are sending a replacement as time for your claim could run out before you realize no replacement is coming.  For overseas sellers, I would always ask for a refund..not replacement.

If you paid through Paypal you can open a claim for up to 180 days on their site. However, PP requires you to pay for return shipping which can be very expensive since you need to send with delivery confirmation. 

Paypal does have a service where they will contribute towards the cost of return shipping. I don't know if you have to sign up before you make a purchase but you can give it a try.  But.....I believe the maximum is $30 and if the return is going to Asia, it will cost more than that.

Here is the link for that service...

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/returnshipping

Message 6 of 6
latest reply