Buying items living in Canada

evan21ca
Community Member

So guys, I live in Toronto and I am a bit confused about some things. I want to buy some stuff from ebay (mobile phone cases and accessories, video game accessories etc) from several countries in the world (countries in Asia, Europe and the USA).

I would like to know if I will be charged anything extra (like customs and taxes) if I do so. I read what it is said on ebay rules but i didn't understand much and especially if it goes for purchase from the US only or worldwide.

Some help please

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

There is no duty or sales tax on item valued under $20 CDN

At $20 a service fee, sales tax and possibly duty will be charged. Canada Post's service charge is $10. Couriers call their service charge a 'brokerage fee" and it starts around $25.

US sellers are being encouraged to use eBay's Global Shipping Program. This program has some small advantages for sellers, but leads to slower delivery and higher shipping fees than the former USPS/Canada Post system.

Try not to buy from US sellers who use courier shipping and/or the the GSP.

If there is not shipping fee to Canada in the listing, do NOT bid until you confirm that the seller does ship here, does not use the GSP , and gives you a firm quote on shipping.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2013

@ankap-7083

The problem with zombie threads is that the information may be out of date and inaccurate.

For example, under the new NAFTA  treaty of July 2020, we have a duty free allowance on imports of $150 and tax free of $40.

Canada has also signed Free Trade Agreements with the European Union and with 12 Pacific Rim countries.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 4 of 4
latest reply