Can a seller demand extra postage after an item has been bought and paid for?

I recently purchased an item or $219, plus $29 postage to Canada. Now, after I won the auction and have already sent payment the seller is demanding an extra $50 in postage or he will cancel the sale. Is he allowed to do that? How do I make him honour our original agreement?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

No the seller is not allowed to ask for more money after the sale. The problem is there is no way you can force him to ship it either. Since you already paid they would either have to ship it (as agreed in listing) or have to refund your money in full. This is where it would depend how much you want the item. Seller should have known better.

You can report the seller to eBay, you could leave negative feedback but there is no way to make him ship it if he is refusing sadly.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Increased shipping rates after a purchase

Sellers can’t increase their shipping rates after you've bought an item without asking your permission to do so. If the seller makes a change that you don’t agree with, and you can’t resolve the issue directly with them, contact us and we’ll step in to help.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/buying/postage-delivery/shipping-rates-buyers?id=4026&st=3&pos=6&query=Ship...

By reporting the Seller this transaction will be flagged and the Seller will not get back their fees and will get a defect on their account.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It's literally an attempt of extortion. Maybe he try to grind some money because he's unhappy with the ending price, did you had a good deal? I don't think anything cost $79.00 to ship and it's out of mind the seller did a $50.00 mistake on shipping cost. If he ask the extra shipping to be paid outside eBay it could be a scam attempt too (you send him money, he still cancel the eBay transaction, he keep what you sent outside eBay and you're unprotected on this amount)

Would recommend obviously to not pay. Tell him that it's against rules and to ship at the agreed price. If he cancel be sure to leave a negative feedback to let others know and punish the seller for it. I would also report the seller to eBay

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

As others have said, no, you cannot "force" your seller to ship. It is possible he/she/they made a typo when entering shipping info however.......thats their problem, not yours.

If it is your intention to leave this seller a neutral or negative feedback over this, do not make any mention of it in your communications. You can let them know you bought and paid for the item in good faith and in your opinion they should ship.  If you really, really want the item and lets say willing to split the extra postage with the seller, that too is an option. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

As others have said, the seller must either cancel the transaction and take the account hit and possible negative feedback or they must honour the terms of the agreement.

How I would personally deal with this would depend on the seller. Is it a fairly new seller who may not have understood the shipping process correctly? Was the seller apologetic and polite, or were they rude and aggressive?

If it was a new seller who clearly made a mistake and was polite, I would likely just state that you purchased the item with the expectation of paying the listed shipping cost and expect the terms of the agreement to be honoured. If they cancel, I'd probably just leave neutral feedback stating something along the lines of the seller being unable to fulfill the order. They'll have to look at it for the next year as a reminder not to do that again, but it shouldn't hurt them too much.

If the seller was seasoned or rude, I would probably respond the same as above. If they cancel, I would report them to eBay using the link Brett posted and I would leave them negative feedback. Make sure the feedback is concise, factual, and unemotional. Something along the lines of: "I was the winning bidder for this auction and paid immediately. Seller later requested substantial additional money and cancelled the order when I refused."  If they try to cancel saying there was a problem with the address or that you requested it, I'd also include something like: "Seller incorrectly stated that the order was cancelled at my request, which it was not".

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

A seller is not allowed to charge extra shipping after a purchase.  I have had it happen where I didn't charge enough postage & paid for the extra out of my pocket. It was to the Northwest Territories. I informed the buyer that in the future if they bought again, that I would have to charge higher postage to their location, but that I would cover it this time. I have had some buyers offer to pay extra for the postage but they aren't obligated to.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@aridami-0 If they try to cancel saying there was a problem with the address or that you requested it

I would decline their request, this will force them to make the request again selecting another option and they will have to take the hit on their account.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Update?

Message 9 of 9
latest reply