Canada Post - nothing to do with Ebay!

I read (ad nauseum - lol) all the beefs about Canada Post's high rates, which I as a buyer don't have to deal with that much but yesterday I had to send some post-dated cheques to a company in North Vancouver.  I live downtown and North Van is just across one bridge but didn't have time to go over there.  It was just an 8"x12" envelope containing letter and post-dated cheques, so no heavier than reg. postage for an "oversize" envelope.  I thought, because of the contents, I should have it tracked and they wanted (forget exact amount) over $10.00!  So I declined. But what's with this? I get quite a few really nice items believe it or not from TSC in Mississauga.  They send them expedited CP with complete tracking on-line and sometimes the boxes are huge (as in a coat)  At the very most, I've never paid more than apx. $8.95, usually just $6.95.  What gives?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Canada Post - nothing to do with Ebay!

seller is absorbing the rest in the price or jusat taking a hit .. IT is nice when buyers have to experience it so they know what things really cosat... for me to sahip 1 blu ray to vancouver expedited is minimum $10 .. Before they changed the Canada post insurance io could have an insured packet to the US cost me $7.80 but to sahip to someone in Vancouver $10 plus to have insurance.. .

Rates are crazy but wait for around 2016 which is when things will either drop or sky rocket

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Yes, even though I said as a buyer, it doesn't affect me much....I guess it has in the last while - have just been movin' on when I see the cost of shipping to me within Canada.  Guess a huge place like The Shopping Channel is absorbing the cost, like you said, because of the mega volume of business they do.  When I like something on their site, I sometimes put it in my Wish List......wait for a while to see if it goes on sale  (good sales as well - my last item was 50% off with FREE expedited shipping + tracking     ;-))

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

yeah 50% off a.k.a what it should be priced at in the firsat place LOL.. I used to sho on the shopping channels 2 which is a unique market but many of those things drop off big time once they hit the the stores or a year later .. Many shopping channel goods are 1 hit wonders now you see them now you don't and once they stop selling that is when they are forced to clear out inventory and that is when the sales really start happening ...

I think huge cxompanies have deals with CP or Couriers I mean they must because some thing say $19.99 free ship but cost $14 to ship ... Thewre has got to be something there but I really have no clue all i know is they need tracked packge i canada for 1 low flat rate but with mail declining and with small population for such large land to cover i sdoubt that wqill happen ..

They say by 2016 mail will only be delivered 3-4 days a week .. Gives a whole new meaning to snail mail

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Large companies have discounted rates with CP and couriers. The company that I work for (day job)  gets 48% off Canada Post published rates and 70% of Purolator rates because of the volume in which we mail/ship.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

FYI...within the lower mainland (Vancouver area)...Greyhound has great local delivery rates.  They are door to door (no one had to go to the depot)...between 7-9 dollars for any box under 5kgs.  If you call before 10,  it is same day and it has tracking.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thanks, that's interesting for future reference, although:-D, I still wouldn't have paid that for an 8"x 10" envelope, would have been just a couple of $ under CP.  But I didn't even think of Greyhound for anything like mail.  Thanks bcbeautiful!  😄

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

As dumb as it sounds, a Registered Letter is more expensive than a Expedited Parcel. It is what it is

Message 8 of 8
latest reply