Changes in shipping after winning an auction.

emmanu-47
Community Member

Is it possible if you won an auction, could you say ask the seller to change the shipping to a cheaper and slower one to reduce the costs that you would still pay for during checkout? Is this something you can do before you win or after you win said auction?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

No. The shipping criteria is integrated in the listing before the sale. If the Seller makes any modification after the sale they have no seller protection. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

No. The shipping criteria is integrated in the listing before the sale. If the Seller makes any modification after the sale they have no seller protection. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

So therefore the only way a shift can occur in the shipping method is if either they make a modification after the sale which would strip them of their seller protection and if we were to both negotiatethe change outside of Ebay in some way which in that instance I'd lose my protections as a buyer on Ebay. thanks for the help

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I have to disagree, a seller could change the shipping method after the sale if they wanted to.   The only way it would affect seller protection is if the seller went from a tracked service to a non tracked service or if they sent the item to a different address than what was used when the item was paid for.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

You should ask about a change of the shipping service before you bid or make the purchase.  If the seller is willing, they can add that shipping method to the listing.  It can be done afterwards but it is easier before hand.  Also, it is better if the buyer knows what the shipping cost will be before they decide to make the purchase.  

Keep in mind it is ultimately up to the seller on whether they are comfortable using a less expensive service.   You might be surprised how little the price difference may be between some services. For example, I've had buyers ask me to change the shipping from expedited parcel to regular parcel....there is  absolutely no difference in price.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Yes, I stand corrected. You're absolutely right. Seller protection is available provided tracking and the same address is used. I was thinking of a recent situation where a buyer requested an address change in Sweden after the purchase.  I called eBay and was advised to cancel the sale or I would not be protected. I did that and the buyer updated his addy with eBay and repurchased the item. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

UPDATE: It's been pointed out as long as tracking is used for the ammended service and the item is shipped to the original address the shipping service can be upgraded or downgraded. 

ITWM

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

PJ has a point. You could renegotiate shipping if the original address and tracking are used on the downgraded method.

The problem is the shipping cost probably won't be lowered by much unless you dispense with tracking.  Depending on the value of the item and how low the feedback scores tracking can be extremely important. Things can get contenscious if doing this AFTER a sale. As PJ said this should be done PRIOR to the sale.

For example:  Let's say the item has a low value of $10.  The seller agrees to use lettermail thinking he could absorb the loss if it gets lost. It gets shipped without tracking and gets lost.

This Seller has a 100% positive feedback score. He's new and only has 4 feedbacks. The buyer doesn't get his item. The buyer then is upset and leaves bad feedback for the seller. Now the seller's score drops to 80% positive. The 5th feedback is worth 20% of the new Seller's total of 5 feedbacks. Most people won't buy from Sellers with less than 95% positive feedbacks. He's out of business all because he was a nice guy to agree to use lettermail.

The twist is a  different seller could do it without damage.  Let's say Seller #2 had a feedback score of 3000 positives (instead of Seller#1's 4 positives). One negative feedback mark is such a small % it wouldn't drop Seller #2's  score. 

Unfortunately these are issues most buyers don't know about. Sellers simplay want the item they are shipping to get to the buyer on time, in good condition and have a notice of delievery to protect them from Item Not Rec'd claims. 

ITWM

Message 8 of 8
latest reply