Chinese sellers have suspended shipping to Canada, May 2020

Chinese sellers have stopped shipping to Canada now, at least in the category I buy from. Early on in the COVID crisis I spoke to a number of Ebay reps and expressed my concern over why Ebay wasn't extending the refund request window from 30 days to 60, in order to accommodate delayed shipping times and protect sellers and hence buyers who rely on those sellers, like myself. Of course they never did this. They mentioned other ways they protect sellers, and so maybe I'm missing something, but this seems to be the inevitable outcome of a foreseeable issue not addressed properly. That all said, if anybody has anything they can add to clarify this situation their input would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

tyler@ebay 

This is one of two questions about this apparent new policy.

Can you confirm it?

Many Western sellers would be delighted that eBay is no longer supporting Chinese sellers, but many Western buyers would be upset, especially if the listings continue to appear without fulfillment.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Hi @reallynicestamps - looking into this. I'll keep you posted as I hear back!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I can confirm that 2 different sellers located in China requested that I cancel my order in the last 2 days. Both stated that “the shipper informed them they CANNOT ship to Canada”. They both used the exact same reason that it was the shipper that was the problem and stated “cannot”

Are packages from Canada being rejected by Canada Post or is this China Post just refusing accept?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Sorry, packages to Canada from China!
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

It seems Ebay in North America is not aware of an announcement made by Ebay in China, seemingly advising Chinese sellers to stop shipping to Canada. Mind you, it also seems to suggest offering an express option to Canadian buyers before cancelling, but I haven't been offered that option once.

I've attached a link to that announcement, as well as a photo of the actual Canada post situation, which does show stoppage of international air packets from China, but but not tracked international air from Hong Kong, where many of these sellers operate. The announcement seems overkill to me.

The following is a link to that announcement, and I've attached a photo of the Canada Post situation dated May 25. I'm not sure why not a single Ebay rep was aware of or could direct me to this information.
https://abpost.ebay.cn/logistics/253
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

As you said, the first link leads to an announcement that when translated does suggest that sellers in China must use couriers to Canada as CP will not process their mail.

The screenshot that you attached isn't related to that announcement though as it shows the services that we are available FROM Canada to other countries.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for pointing that out. So, I guess I can't find anything from Canada Post indicating any new restrictions on shipments from China, which makes me confused re the reasoning behind the EBay announcement. If anybody can provide that info from Canada post, that would be appreciated. I tried phoning but was on hold forever and gave up, and their online support chats are greyed out for some reason.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply