Computer purchase possibly scam relisted?

So, on Saturday, August 1 I bought a used computer at auction, a Macbook Pro 2015. I felt something odd about it as I was the only bidder. The seller displayed 100% feedback but the feedback was quite old.

Anyway, it has been three days, and I received no tracking number (in Canada all parcels get a tracking number with Canada post, which was the specified postage method). I contacted the seller yesterday, no response.

But the big thing is that the item has been relisted. What! It is the exact same description and photos! So I contacted Ebay and they said wait seven days from purchase and then contact them again. I know I am protected, but theoretically I want to know what's going on.

Is it possible the seller is just away from Ebay and the relisting was automatic even though I won the auction?

In my mind this seems like a scam, but I don't see how it could possibly work because Ebay won't even give them the payment if I don't get my item? Has anyone experienced this before? This is the first time that this has happened to me on Ebay.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I felt something odd about it as I was the only bidder.

That's normal. Auctions are a terrible way to sell because they get so few bids.

The seller displayed 100% feedback but the feedback was quite old.

This is a common sign of a hacked account. The good feedback is from another member who has abandoned but not closed his account.

Is it possible the seller is just away from Ebay and the relisting was automatic even though I won the auction?

No.

I received no tracking number (in Canada all parcels get a tracking number with Canada post, which was the specified postage method).

A bad sign since, while some parcel services are not tracked, any seller would be nuts not to track an item as valuable as a computer would be

OTOH-- Look at the calendar.

The Post Office is closed on Saturdays and Sundays. Monday was a provincial holiday in many provinces which may also mean closed offices.

A home printed shipping label would not show Accepted until it has been handed in over the counter.

because Ebay won't even give them the payment if I don't get my item?

Criminals are dumb.

It is true that eBay puts a Hold on new and occasional sellers - and this seller would be an occasional-- but scammers often do not know about that.

You may get a message complaining that the PP payment did not go through (because it is on Hold) and asking your to text with your PP address.

Don't. All messages should be through eBay Messages only.

As soon as possible, which may be the seven days already mentioned, open an Item Not Received Dispute in the Resolution Centre.

Stick with the robotic RC unless you have a greater problem. The humans at Customer Service can be.... erratic.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

mcrlmn
Community Member

If it's too good to be true. it probably is.

Only purchase electronics from certified distributors.

There is no rainbow dream deal hidden on the internet that you alone are going to discover.

The deal typically ends up costing more in time, money, and anxiety.

If it does show up, but isn't what you believed you purchased:

Open an "I received an item that does not match the seller's description" case.
Go to the Resolution Centre and follow the directions.

After eBay's estimated delivery time elapses, if it hasn't arrived:

Open an "I haven't received it yet" case.
Go to the Resolution Centre and follow the directions.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I felt something odd about it as I was the only bidder.

That's normal. Auctions are a terrible way to sell because they get so few bids.

The seller displayed 100% feedback but the feedback was quite old.

This is a common sign of a hacked account. The good feedback is from another member who has abandoned but not closed his account.

No.

I received no tracking number (in Canada all parcels get a tracking number with Canada post, which was the specified postage method).

A bad sign since, while some parcel services are not tracked, any seller would be nuts not to track an item as valuable as a computer would be

OTOH-- Look at the calendar.

The Post Office is closed on Saturdays and Sundays. Monday was a provincial holiday in many provinces which may also mean closed offices.

A home printed shipping label would not show Accepted until it has been handed in over the counter.

because Ebay won't even give them the payment if I don't get my item?

Criminals are dumb.

It is true that eBay puts a Hold on new and occasional sellers - and this seller would be an occasional-- but scammers often do not know about that.

You may get a message complaining that the PP payment did not go through (because it is on Hold) and asking your to text with your PP address.

Don't. All messages should be through eBay Messages only.

As soon as possible, which may be the seven days already mentioned, open an Item Not Received Dispute in the Resolution Centre.

Stick with the robotic RC unless you have a greater problem. The humans at Customer Service can be.... erratic.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thanks, guys. It has not yet been 7 days but I will open a resolution for sure when that happens.

Also, post offices are opened on weekends, a lot of them anyway, including the Canada Post by place (both Sat and Sun), which is not really a major one! And Canada Post was specified.

Anyway, the worst indicator is the relisting... but yeah, I will be more careful next time (I've bought dozens of things on Ebay, both Buy it now and through auction, but this is the first time this has happened unfortunately).

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I deal with both a postal outlet (in back of the drug store) and a Post Office.

The Post Office is closed on Saturdays and Sundays, and there is no pickup from mail boxes.

The outlet is open when the drug store is although I did not check on BCDay (Monday) to see if it was operating. The clerk today was saying they had finally managed to get the store room cleared just as a new truck arrived , which might have meant (she was talking to her relief) that they had been open and taking in parcels but unable to move them out.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Just to add a happy ending to this story, the seller eventually did get back to me after I contacted them on Paypal (a week after I purchased the item) and gave me a refund.

Not sure what was going on with the seller. They even offered to send me the item, but I declined. Perhaps it was just a disorganized seller, but they made good in the end.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply