Dear seller: Is there a way we can not use the global shipping program??

Hi, thanks for your interest with us. -
Unfortunately we cannot ship our products outside the USA without using eBays Global Shipping Program

Thanks for understanding

2021185.jpg

4638d50e65.gif

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

@leaky-bucket-labs wrote:

Hi, thanks for your interest with us. -
Unfortunately we cannot ship our products outside the USA without using eBays Global Shipping Program

Thanks for understanding

2021185.jpg

4638d50e65.gif

I had a similar situation the last time i tried to make a purchase using GSP. Item was a map which was packaged in a shipping tube. Buyer realized after the fact(3 to 4 days later) that there should be additional shipping charges with GSP for shipping tubes so needed to cancel the order. As you noted in the other post the refund DID NOT mirror the original payment. Approximately 8 dollars Canadian difference in my situation.  In theory this should be a 100% reversal with no penalties to buyer. Not how they are being handled. Made ever worse when a refund is issued much later. Only penalty to seller would be that .30 fee attached to all transactions.

-Lotz

@stlajeu88 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
The Global Shipping Program serves about 100 other countries in addition to Canada. If we were bigger potatoes for US sellers, I suspect more of them would set themselves up for alternative shipping arrangements to Canada, but we’re not.

That and the fact that some US sellers aren’t aware that they’re not locked into using the GSP. 🤷
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

The GSP is a Seller Protection program for paranoid and xenophobic UK and US sellers who would otherwise not be shipping internationally.

Item was a map which was packaged in a shipping tube. Buyer realized after the fact(3 to 4 days later) that there should be additional shipping charges with GSP for shipping tubes so needed to cancel the order.

I assume you meant seller not buyer.

Normally that's the seller's problem. And it has nothing to do with the GSP, the surcharge is from USPS (Canada Post has a similar charge (under $2 if I recall correctly).

The usual advice posters give seller's in this situation is "suck it up, buttercup". 

What you have here is a seller who didn't ship promptly and then tried to charge you more than the advertised shipping cost. 

And cancelled the order.

Nothing to do with the GSP. All on the seller.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

The GSP is a Seller Protection program for paranoid and xenophobic UK and US sellers who would otherwise not be shipping internationally.

Item was a map which was packaged in a shipping tube. Buyer realized after the fact(3 to 4 days later) that there should be additional shipping charges with GSP for shipping tubes so needed to cancel the order.

I assume you meant seller not buyer.

Normally that's the seller's problem. And it has nothing to do with the GSP, the surcharge is from USPS (Canada Post has a similar charge (under $2 if I recall correctly).

The usual advice posters give seller's in this situation is "suck it up, buttercup". 

What you have here is a seller who didn't ship promptly and then tried to charge you more than the advertised shipping cost. 

And cancelled the order.

Nothing to do with the GSP. All on the seller.

What I was told, in my case the  the shipping tube cost was not factored into the original shipping.  So reason for the cancelled order. They cancelled via Paypal vs eBay's build in system. Because it was refunded (even as basically a partial refund in eBay's eyes it's considered resolved. As for difference in conversion basically tough donuts. Just how it is. Like the old expression you can't fight city hall.

-Lotz

PS. As a side, now with MP a (Canadian or US) seller has no idea what exchange rate is applicable is involved with refunds. Basically at the whim of eBay/their bank or CC company. Buyer maybe when funds are removed from an account.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

What I was told, in my case the  the shipping tube cost was not factored into the original shipping.  So reason for the cancelled order.

Your original post suggests that the seller thought there would be an additional cost in using a shipping tube with the GSP. As far as I know, that's a crock.  The cost to ship to the Global Shipping Center should be the same as shipping to a residence in Erlanger.  Either the seller messed up with their within-US shipping rate or else they though they had to pay the GSP's portion of the shipping cost.  If there's any additional costs in handling a shipping tube, the GSP would be charging them, not the seller.

They cancelled via Paypal vs eBay's build in system. 

Either this seller was trying to avoid a defect or they're not too bright.  Or both.

As an aside, with MP a (Canadian or US) seller [buyer?] has no idea what exchange rate is applicable is involved with refunds. Basically at the whim of eBay/their bank or CC company. Buyer maybe when funds are removed from an account.

How did you fund your payment for the map?  Did PayPal do the currency conversion or the card issuer/bank?

For what it's worth, when one purchases from an e-commerce site that doesn't use Canadian dollars and pays directly with a credit card, they don't know the exchange rate their credit card issuer is using, either.  When one pays in a foreign currency, the unfortunate reality is that any refunds are likely going to be converted at a rate that's different than the one applied to the purchase.  You're still getting a full refund in US dollars, but it's not going to be worth the same in Canadian dollars.

It's a bit (but admittedly not a lot) the old saying about buying a new car: It loses its value immediately after you finalize the purchase and drive it off the lot.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

What I was told, in my case the  the shipping tube cost was not factored into the original shipping.  So reason for the cancelled order.

Your original post suggests that the seller thought there would be an additional cost in using a shipping tube with the GSP. As far as I know, that's a crock.  The cost to ship to the Global Shipping Center should be the same as shipping to a residence in Erlanger.  Either the seller messed up with their within-US shipping rate or else they though they had to pay the GSP's portion of the shipping cost.  If there's any additional costs in handling a shipping tube, the GSP would be charging them, not the seller.

They cancelled via Paypal vs eBay's build in system. 

Either this seller was trying to avoid a defect or they're not too bright.  Or both.

As an aside, with MP a (Canadian or US) seller [buyer?] has no idea what exchange rate is applicable is involved with refunds. Basically at the whim of eBay/their bank or CC company. Buyer maybe when funds are removed from an account.

How did you fund your payment for the map?  Did PayPal do the currency conversion or the card issuer/bank?

For what it's worth, when one purchases from an e-commerce site that doesn't use Canadian dollars and pays directly with a credit card, they don't know the exchange rate their credit card issuer is using, either.  When one pays in a foreign currency, the unfortunate reality is that any refunds are likely going to be converted at a rate that's different than the one applied to the purchase.  You're still getting a full refund in US dollars, but it's not going to be worth the same in Canadian dollars.

It's a bit (but admittedly not a lot) the old saying about buying a new car: It loses its value immediately after you finalize the purchase and drive it off the lot.

My main concern in all this is a buyer should not be penalized for a seller cancelled sale. Same goes for when seller needs to cancel a sale at a buyers request. The window for these situations is very short, its a 1 time option with almost no room to correct if an error is made by the method either party chooses.  It should be handled as a straight reversal. How it works for a B & M store from my past experience. The concern being, is eBay using these situations as a fee grab?

-Lotz

For an interesting apples to bananas comparison, I witnessed a SK customer attempt a high value return at at a local AB C Tire. (Product was defective).  AB Store was refusing to refund applicable SK tax. After a call to head office they were told they had to. Was entertaining but very frustrating for the customer and everyone else in line. Bonus issue was CT Money rates vary province to province. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

My main concern in all this is a buyer should not be penalized for a seller cancelled sale. Same goes for when seller needs to cancel a sale at a buyers request. The window for these situations is very short, its a 1 time option with almost no room to correct if an error is made by the method either party chooses.  It should be handled as a straight reversal. How it works for a B & M store from my past experience. The concern being, is eBay using these situations as a fee grab?

Did these reversals involve currency conversion?

I don't think eBay is using the refund process as a money grab.  It's simply a technical limitation; there's no way POS terminals--be they virtual or physical--are able to distinguish a refund or reversal due to seller fault from a refund or reversal for any other reason.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

Did these reversals involve currency conversion?

I don't think eBay is using the refund process as a money grab.  It's simply a technical limitation; there's no way POS terminals--be they virtual or physical--are able to distinguish a refund or reversal due to seller fault from a refund or reversal for any other reason.

Yes. 

As for part 2 look how long its taken for eBay/Ayden to conceive of a way for sellers to get paid in US funds. That was probably the first question sellers were asking 3 + years ago and it still hasn't been satifactorily resolved. That was not an issue with PayPal. And then the fact it is a 1 time offer thing. Huh. I was not given the option when I enrolled. And unable to without creating a new account and starting from scratch. Ayden is a payment processor that works mostly to the benefit of eBay. It does very little  for sellers. 

-Lotz

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

My main concern in all this is a buyer should not be penalized for a seller cancelled sale. Same goes for when seller needs to cancel a sale at a buyers request. T

To the best of my knowledge, the buyer is not penalized for any cancellation.

And sellers who cancel "at buyer request" or with "problem with address" don't have any penalty either (although both are misused constantly).

That there will be a difference in the money paid and the money refunded is a bug/feature of currency exchange.

If you go to your bank and buy $100 USD then change your mind and change it back to loonies, you are not going to get back as much as you originally paid.

Look here:

https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=USD&To=CAD

And btw, those numbers are interesting and even useful, but they are not the numbers your bank branch will be using, unless you are dealing in currency exchanges in the millions.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply