Did a purchase on Ebay, Paid .. I just got scammed .. what do I do?

Anonymous
Not applicable

well long story here.. I hit a buy it now in Canada,, Paid via CC through paypal.     next thing I notice theres a refund with a holding period.. But the payment reverse is Not showing up on my Ebay.  

beings both the Canadian ebay office and Paypal office are closed . I cannot get any help... whats going on?  what kind of a outfit does this?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

When there is a refund, there is usually a reason given by either the seller (egOut Of Stock) or by eBay (eg Not A Registered User).

Is the seller still actively selling?  If not he may have been closed down for scamming.

You backed your Paypal account with a credit card?  Have you looked to see if the refund is already in your cc account?

When we see a Hold it is usually on a buyer's echeque payment-- a payment through a bank account, which, like a paper cheque has to clear the banking system before being honoured.

I wonder if the seller emptied his PP account before eBay closed him down and PP, which has his financial information needs a little time to get the money from him.

The main point is that you are covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee and by Paypal's Buyer Protection. So it may take a short time, but you should be fine.  Annoyed, but not out money.

There is no eBay Canada customer service, we share with our southern neighbours.

The best time to call Trust and Safety is weekdays. Some of the US reps have terrible accents because they are in Utah. Be patient.

@Anonymous 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Keep in mind that paying with a credit card, is really only promising to pay.
It works because we trust each other.
When things go pear-shaped, the trust needs a little time.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi ya the problem is. Ive paid in full. So they refund the pp. but the item in showing on ebay as a sold item still . Not cancelled. Now in the mean time I look at the finished sales. I notice this has been sold three times. So Im taking this person is collecting funds and gives a refund that will take 30 days to come back to me if it does. Not sure what to do here. I did notice after I went back to there sales of other items. It had items for sale then all cleared out after checking again.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the tag @femmefan1946!

Hi @Anonymous - sorry to hear about this experience! Many times, if we find that an account was acting in bad faith or was compromised we will end the listing involved and notify you. 

If you're seeing in your Purchase History that the item is considered unpaid from our end (or the payment failed, etc) but the refund in your PayPal is 'pending' that usually means it's being refunded by e-check. Typically that clears within 3-5 business days, but it can take up to 30. 

If you haven't seen the refund by the 5th business day I definitely recommend contacting PayPal Customer Support to pursue any other options. Thanks! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh yes. All done through ebay.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just noticed the listing was removed via ebay as a third party scam. This is twice in three weeks
Message 8 of 8
latest reply