Do sellers get a shipping reminder from Ebay?

zabisis
Community Member

I have been using Ebay for 12 years and just recently I am having a problem with sellers who do not ship.

Does Ebay send out shipping reminders to sellers?

All my payments are made with in minutes of purchase or winning bid..... literally minutes. Until I started searching these boards I could not have imagined people wait days. So that is not the issue.

After waiting 12 days for one seller to ship I contacted and they replied with " Oh, sorry I forgot, do you still want it" Now that seller has created a label which makes the listing show shipped but in fact USPS has not received the item 2 days later.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Whenever a purchase is made the seller's back-office dashboard clearly presents to him/her their promised "ship by date".

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Whenever a purchase is made the seller's back-office dashboard clearly presents to him/her their promised "ship by date".
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Sellers choose a 'handling time' , usually only one or two days, that they promise eBay they will get purchases shipped by.

Sellers who miss that time have it noted on their Seller Accounts.

They also are reminded, and asked for tracking numbers, when they check to see if a purchase has been paid and when they leave feedback.

They can mark something 'shipped' which has not been, because of local pickups and a few other reasons.

If your purchase does not arrive before the last estimated date for arrival, you can open an Item Not Received dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page. If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

You have 60 days to leave feedback, which has NO effect on the seller's Account. The most effective FB is calm and factual.

"Paid 8/18 Not shipped as of 8/30" for example. But leave it as long as you can stand. You may be able to add "Recd 9/15" or "Refunded 9/15" which will give the seller's future customers a better idea of how the transaction went.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

SO yes they get a notice from the system to ship and yes a note is put on their file if they are delinquent.

The seller in this case creates a shipping label which gives them a number and makes the ebay system happy. Checking on the number USPS shows the item has not been received 3 days after the label was created. This person is in New York city no excuse for it to not be shipped.

Guess I see if this is a scam in 2 weeks.

I try to buy from Canadians but in the years I have been using Ebay the number of Canadians sure has dwindled.

Now with most orders getting his with extra charges at the door from CBSA I think I have made my last few purchases unamused

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

The "extra charges" on the doorstep would be the duty applicable on any import over $20Cdn (~$15USD) which is usually minimal and many items are not dutiable. * Plus your provincial sales taxes (PST/GST/HST) of up to 15% which will be charged even if there is no duty applicable. Plus a $9.95 Canada Post Service charge.

Most low value, small items miss these charges, since CBSA takes the sensible approach that it costs the taxpayer more than could possibly be collected, but if you are ordering bulky or high value items they will do the assessment, and you have to pay.

You can skip this -- just Buy Canadian.

Canada funny crest.jpg

* And even fewer will be when the CERN and TPP+ free trade agreements with Europe and the Pacific Rim kick in fully.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

It’s possible that the item was dropped off at the post office but just not scanned.   That does happen although it’s unusual for a package not to get scanned at all at least once.

If the seller created the label but doesn’t have it scanned by the post office within the sellers handling time and it isn’t scanned as delivered within the eta then eBay does consider the package as being late.  

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Nope sorry all that has changed since Aug 1st.

My mail carrier can not keep up with the amount of door calls she has to make to collect money. Canada Post is blaming Trump tariffs but I doubt that.

Canada post carriers have been told that by Nov online payments will be available for these extra charges.

SO either they are being very picky now to charge us or something really have changed with this Trump stuff.

I have been using Ebay for many a year and never have I been dingedso many times

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

This hasn't been my experience. Of course, I buy almost exclusively Canadian because what little I order from the USA is lately is arriving VERY LATE or not arriving at all. https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Orders-Coming-From-USA-Delayed-or-Missing-Entirely/m-p/40...

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

CBSA has said (in the past year) that they allow 93% of low value parcels (under $100) to go through without assessment.

Considering the CBSA workers are well paid ($50K annually and up) this makes sense, since it takes as long to assess a $25 package as a $250 package.  Even if it takes only 10 minutes each that's a labour cost of about $4.16,  to collect $1.50 in sales taxes and even less in duty.

A loss of $2.66 to the Canadian taxpayer.

The Canada Post $9.95 may actually be a bit of a money maker for the PO.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

And the new reality is ........

3rd in a row for me and my son has been hit on the last 5 purchase so despite what they claim or what their **bleep** salary is things have changed since Aug 1st 2018.

Add to my experience is that of the post office here in rural Ontario that can not keep up this month due to the amount of time required to collect money and signatures.

I don't like a country that takes things out on the backs of it's people particularly when those people are buying used items.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

What were the values of the imports? If they were over $100 each, there would be no change. If they were under $40 that would be a change, or just part of th e 7% that CBSA does randomly inspect.

the post office here in rural Ontario that can not keep up this month

Canada Post has said that while they were initially worried by the dropoff in revenue from lettermail (mostly bills and Christmas cards)  that they are now approaching 19th century levels of parcel mail.

Apparently lettermail only became the largest part of the mailstream in the 1950s.

Which in turn reflects internet shopping.

If your post office is a post office, HQ has not caught up with the change in staffing needs.

If it is a postal outlet, the store manager needs to do some hiring.

buying used items.

There is no duty on used products, usually.

There is sales tax.

And the carrier is entitled* to a service fee (Canada Post's fee is $9.95) for his labour.

*1 Timothy 5:18

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I am currently dealing with a Canadian seller who took over a week to ship. When I sent a message asking if it had been shipped, I got a very generic reply about it being shipped. It took a further day or two after the label was made for it to finally get dropped off at a postal outlet.

You get seller's like that. All you can do leave feedback and appropriate DSR. As long as what you ordered is what you recieved, then it's sorta ok. But it's up to you as to leave nuetral or negative feedback.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Personally I ship within 3 calendar days, the odd time up to 5 days if I'm just too exhausted from work to find the item and pack. Usually if I need more time to pack, I message the buyer telling them I'm busy with work lately and will ship their item by date XXX, and I make sure I will definitely ship by that date. Most people are understanding and I barely had any complaints about it. I do set my handling time to 5 business days to give myself the buffer.

As for import tax, I haven't been charged for years. Last time it was a limited edition DVD boxset that was sent EMS and priced at about $350. I did have a few parcels (all under $100) the last couple months and none of them were charged import tax.

I do have a friend who said he gets dinged on almost everything he buys since the past few years.
Message 13 of 13
latest reply