Do you trust ebay rating?

alike2000
Community Member

I have been ripped off by a seller, now he has my item returned to him 3 weeks ago, and that cost me additional $8 bucks, he did not refund me yet!

I left a negative feedback 10 days ago, believe it or not:  the negative feedback still doesn't show, and the seller still has 100% positive feedback!

We look at the seller feedback before we but, and if negative feedbacks are hidden, then how can we trust eBay?

Please give your opinion through the poll

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Feedback should show up within a few minutes.

Is it possible that it was in violation and eBay removed it?

You left feedback once before that was in violation.

Brokerage fees taxes and duties are the importers responsobility negative or neutral feedback left referencing import fees will be removed if reported.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Did you open a dispute to get your refund?

What to do if you don't receive an item or it doesn't match the seller's description

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

"I left a negative feedback 10 days ago,"

Maybe, maybe not.

Click on your feedback number (54)

This bring you to the "feedback profile" page.

Go to the bottom of the page and click on

"What would you like to do next? Leave Feedback"

Do you see the transaction?

If you do, it means feedback was not left.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Well I see on your feedback you left someone 3 negs didn't see it on there feedback though but that person has 98.9% so maybe it's someone different your talking about ...

fyi don't leave a seller a neg because you paid custom or brokerage fees that's your responsibility not the sellers ...

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

alike2000
Community Member

My negative feedback never showed

My feedback was not in violation in any thing, I'm a professional and I know how to choose my language ,and I never left a feedback before that was in violation

Negative feedback was not regarding brokerage or duties, it was because item it not as described, returned and not refunded

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

I'm charged another $20.55 by UPS as BROK fees, this makes total shipping =$40 !

that was one neg you left but I just noticed it was awhile ago so maybe when youwere new to this ... either way good luck

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

alike2000
Community Member

pierrelebe, I understand what you say, and I tried that before opening this topic, and I can't leave a feedback on the item now, which means that eBay accepted my feedback , but it doesn't show it. It's not only that the seller still shows 100% positive, but in the count of negative feedback for the seller still show 0 (zero).

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

"which means that eBay accepted my feedback'

That is a conclusion.  I am not ready for such conclusion.  Not enough information.

What was the date of the transaction?

When did you attempt to leave feedback?

Does the transaction currently show in the "leave feedback" page?

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

alike2000
Community Member

I contacted eBay to find what was going on, and after they explained it to me I lost every confidence in eBay feedback system! eBay actually removed my feedback, and the seller still shows 100% positive feedback. eBay did not even tell me that they remove my feedback. They are actually manipulating the system!

This is how it happened:

1. This seller sells an eronomic touchpad, but the crappy thing that I paid $40 for it did not even work like a pointing device, a $5 mouse was better than it. I contacted the seller to return the item, and I paid another $8 to return, and I waited for weeks and I did not get a refund. i contacted the seller again and he said that he did not receive the item yet. So I told him I can't wait any more, and if I do not receive my refund by the next day then I'll have to leave a negative feedback and file a dispute, and that what I did. But eBay said that because I told the seller if I'm not getting my money I'll live a negative the feedback, then it's an extortion email and they removed my feedback.

So in this case:

1. The seller sells an item of a very cheap and poor quality, and customer do not know about that because eBay remove the negative feedback

2. The seller took my item and did not refund me, so I paid almost $50 and get nothing, But the average customer still see 100% feedback

eBay does manipulate the feedback system, and they put their policies in a way that allows them to manipulate the feedback system. The total experience is now fake

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

So I told him I can't wait any more, and if I do not receive my refund by the next day then I'll have to leave a negative feedback and file a dispute, and that what I did. But eBay said that because I told the seller if I'm not getting my money I'll live a negative the feedback, then it's an extortion email and they removed my feedback.

This is what you did wrong.  Threatening to leave negative feedback is an eBay policy violation.  The best thing to do is to allow sufficient time for a return to be received.  You have 45 days in which to open a dispute.  If you had just filed the dispute without the threat you would have received a full refund.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/feedback-extortion.html

Not Allowed:

Examples of Feedback extortion

A seller refuses to ship the item or refund the buyer unless the buyer leaves good Feedback or detailed seller ratings (DSRs).

A seller refuses to let a buyer use a warranty included in the listing unless the buyer leaves a positive Feedback or good DSRs.

A buyer threatens to leave negative Feedback or low DSRs unless he or she gets a full refund without shipping the item back to the seller.

A buyer threatens to leave negative Feedback or low DSRs unless the seller sends an extra item that wasn't part of the original listing (unless the buyer wants a replacement for an item they're not satisfied with).

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

alike2000
Community Member

Moreover, when I called eBay and they told me about this presumable policy violation. I explained to the eBay girl many times, in many ways that I did not do any violation as:

1. The eBay policy said to contact the seller first before leaving a feedback and that what I did

2. I did not leave a negative feedback to the seller until 2 weeks after I returned the item

3. The item is really a piece of crab, but I tried to be patient to the end

4 Extortion is about  gaining profit for yourself, but for a guy who returned an item, and paid for the returns from his own pocket, what kind of gain that I can make to call it extortion:

And I mentioned a lot of other things to her, but whenever I stopped to get her comments, she kept reading same policy, again, and again, and again.. as if ther'e is no value for whatever I say, or as I'm taking to the hand or to a machine!

So think about it this way:  eBay may have dozens of policies: so whenver you need to leave a negative feedack, you should NEVER contact the seller first! Beacuse if you do, the seller can use your email as an extortion violation, or he can find any other poilicy interpretaion that he can use to remove your negative feedback, and eBay will not even notify you that they removed the feedback

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

alike2000
Community Member

""A buyer threatens to leave negative Feedback or low DSRs unless he or she gets a full refund without shipping the item back to the seller."'

Is not that what the policy say?  of course this would be an extortion to ask for a refund without returning the item!

But this is not my case, I returned the item 1st on my own cost, and I waited for 2 weeks while the return should only take one week, before I said I'll leave a negative feedback!

In all ways, this is not my point, my point is: what I see now is a seller that has 100% feedback, and it's very possible that he has many negative feedback that are not shown because of eBay manipulation for feedback

And this is why, whatever executes or reasoning the provide: I can not trust eBay rating any more! 

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

chilliwackcardsandgaming
Community Member

yes, but can you not see by how many positive reps someone gets if there are a good seller... if your number is 54, that means you have made 54 transactions? Im still kinda new as per my 0 by my name

transactions and positive rep ratio,,, or do i have it wrong?

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

The fact is that you violated a policy.  If you had not made that threat you would have received a refund.  You could still receive a refund from the seller if you give him/her time to receive the item back. 

If you had not contacted the seller when you received the merchandise and had opened a case eBay would have required you to ship it it back with delivery confirmation which is much more expensive than regular mail.   

eBay policy is heavily weighted on the side of the buyer.  You have a lot of protection but you have to do things according to eBay's rules, just as the sellers do.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

But this is not my case, I returned the item 1st on my own cost, and I waited for 2 weeks while the return should only take one week, before I said I'll leave a negative feedback!

You can say that you returned it, and I believe you did, but unless you can "prove it" to PayPal with delivery confirmation they have no way of knowing whether you returned it or not. The same principle applies to sellers who can also lose a case if delivery cannot be proven.

while the return should only take one week

How do you know that?  Sometimes mail arrives in 1 week and sometimes it takes 3 to the same location.  Unless you purchase a service with guaranteed delivery time you cannot determine how long it takes for the mail to be delivered.

It is very difficult for a seller to get eBay to remove a negative.  It has to be a clear violation of policy for them to do so. 

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

alike2000
Community Member

westernstargifts

Of course I can prove that I returned it, as I mentioned it cost me $8 to return it, so I have a receipt that shows my name, and the seller name in the To address and a a description of the item in the return receipt.

And I said it should take one week because I asked the post office and they told me it takes 4 business days. also I used the same shipping method that was used by the seller and it took also 4 days to ship it me

Anyway, I believe that I'm a good and honest buyer, and I believe that I was manipulated, and for myself, I do not need to prove anything.So going forward I'd rather pay double the price than go with eBay experience again. By the way, this seller also tried to make me buy directly from his web site and to skip eBay, so it seems that eBay experience is going down at both sides

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Perhaps you did not have the best experience with this seller but the majority of sellers here are honest people.  You can report that seller to eBay for trying to sell off eBay which is a clear policy violation on his part.  This helps to keep eBay a safe place to sell and buy.

What service did you use to ship the item back...Canada Post or courier?  PayPal will not accept a receipt as proof of shipping.  They will only accept "delivery confirmation".  If you shipped it using Canada Post Expedited mail then delivery confirmation will be included.  

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

DO NOT TRUST EBAY RATING!!!

Ebay manipulates feedback and they remove any negative feedback of the seller if the seller is under their negative removal protection program., so 100% feedback of any seller is BALONEY!

DO NOT BUY/SELL on eBay if you cannot afford to loss it

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

Six year old thread.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply