Ebay buyer protection for replacement?

byto253
Community Member

I have a battery powered item that does not hold a charge, so does not work as it should.  I emailed the seller, and they have offered to send a replacement.   I am just wondering how eBay's protection works if the replacement also has the same issue.  Regardless of whether I take the replacement offer, or just make a return, I will open a claim for "item not as received" so that there is proper record in the eBay system. 

Does the 30 day buyer protection only extend from delivery of the original item, so if the replacement gets here after the 30 day period has expired I am stuck with no official eBay recourse?    Does the item not received case stay open until I get the replacement and am satisfied and close it?

I know that Paypal gives a longer time frame but would prefer to just keep it in eBay.  

Thanks for any education here, I have never had to return something before.  

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Never accept a replacement.

There is no reason to believe the replacement will be any better than the original.

Plus, the time it takes to get the replacement puts you outside the 30 days from delivery deadline for claiming a Not As Described refund.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I'll assume that you meant to write that you will open a return request, not an item not received request? If there is tracking information showing that the item was delivered you would lose an INR.

I would probably wait on opening the return request. Once you open it, the seller usually has the option of refunding you right away or of accepting the return and sending you a return label.  You will only have a certain amount of time to send the item back.  If the seller is in North American, doesn't want the original item back and you think that you will be able to receive and test the replacement within a couple of weeks, then it makes sense to wait for a replacement without opening a claim. You can open a return request if you still haven't received a working item later on but make sure you do it before the 30 day limit of when you received the original item.  The mbg only covers the original item.

Disclaimer...I think that when you open a return request there is an option to ask for a replacement if the seller has that set up in their returns but I'm not sure how that works.  I don't think that ebay's system is set up that well for exchanges.  In many cases it makes more sense to return and/or receive a refund and then to buy another one.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

I filed for a return, as we decided against a possible replacement.   The seller accepted the return, but has send me a USPS label with US addresses on it, so it is only good in the US.   The autobot eBay message is to return the item by March 22.  

It is a volume seller with 227,000 feedback, so it could be an error, could be playing games not sure.  I will message them to inform them I either need a label that is valid to ship from Canada or they can send $19.03 CDN equivalent in US funds cover the shipping cost, as per eBay policy for international returns.  

I am concerned with the eBay message about shipping the return by March 22.  Should I wait for the seller's response or contact eBay to escalate or seek correction for this?  All new territory for me.   Thanks. 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I'd give them til Friday, March 11, to respond.

Don't leave it to the last minute.

Is the company based in the USA or are they offshore?

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

They are in Brooklyn.   I actually did a chat with eBay and they said they would send the seller a message to send a label and I did not need to do anything and the seller had 3 days to do so.   I then specifically asked  "Hi, just to confirm that eBay will contact the seller to send a valid label that will work from Canada?

eBay rep 9:38 AM
Yes, that is absolutely correct <name>, we will surely take care of this for you

So I did not actually contact the seller per eBa's direction, and wonder if the CR will just hit the autobot button and it will not actually do anything.   My gut is to send a message to the seller right now that the label is invalid, and eBay should be touching base to advise to send a valid label.  

Thoughts? 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I would contact the seller and let them know just in case customer service does not or does not explain the issue clearly. You originally did have the item sent to you in Canada rather than have it sent to a US address first...right?

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Yes, I bought it through .CA and shipped to Canada. I dropped the seller a note but did not mention them paying me the shipping cost. I will leave it with eBay for now.

There is also no change in the return status, it still says for me to ship. The chat person seemed pretty distracted but I will see what transpires. I think they may treat it as if no label had been sent.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Based on what I've read from other buyers, there won't be an ask ebay step in link after 3 days because the seller has already accepted the request and/or sent a label. Make  sure that if you don't receive a label or money from the seller that you contact customer service  before the  ship by date.  I would contact them through Facebook.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

So nothing came of the chat from a few days ago, and the seller did not respond to my email that the label was no good.  So I called the phone line as I think this should be an easy fix.  The phone rep was good, he put the case on a 5 day hold and sent the seller an email, before hanging up, that gave them 5 days to resolve the shipping.  We did discuss that the seller can send cash, that is fine, since it is international.  If the seller does not provide either funds or a label in 5 days, the case closes for me.  

Lo and behold the seller now sends this message: 

Hi,
I am sorry you escalated this case to eBay. I will be happy to assist you with this return. I checked and since you are located outside the USA, I will not be able to generate a prepaid international return label. Kindly let me know the cost to return to the address below using the cheapest cost possible. I will send you payment for return shipping cost via Paypal. Below is our return address. I await your response.

I sent an email 60 seconds later with the cost for tracked packet in CDN$ and US$.   It will be interesting to see if they actually send any funds or not or the clock runs out. 

As a seller who goes above and beyond to make sure things go well and try hard to ensure that folks do not regret buying on eBay, I have little patience for this stuff.   This is a seller with over 200K feedback that sells around the world, they know the drill.  You send me a US only label, ignore communication that the label is no good, and am sorry about escalation -pffft.   It makes me wonder if this is chatter and flack to confuse buyers who then do not complete a return in time. 

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I am sure that buyers often wait too long for a label or a reply from the seller.  The system needs to be a bit more streamlined for international returns,

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Well, I received the funds to return the item so back it goes tomorrow.   What is interesting is there is seller feedback from another country that said they started the return process and got "a label that was not valid".  From the comment it sounds like they just gave up at that point.   

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I'm a little surprised that you did not know that Canada Post labels can be purchased through Shippo. I have seen posts saying that Pirateship and Stamps.com also can sell CPO labels to non-Canada clients.

I hope you never need to use this information.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I'm a little surprised that you did not know that Canada Post labels can be purchased through Shippo. I have seen posts saying that Pirateship and Stamps.com also can sell CPO labels to non-Canada clients.

I hope you never need to use this information.

Are you thinking about posts saying that Canadians can buy a USPS label at Pirateship and Stamps.com?   I don't recall every reading that they sell Canada Post labels.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

https://support.pirateship.com/en/articles/2775382-can-i-use-pirate-ship-in-canada

Pirateship is (currently) available for USPS and UPS labels only.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

The process for international returns really does need some streamling and work.  Even once I had shipped, there was no place to upload the tracking number for a label I bought.   I went to eBay chat and provided the tracking number that way so that there is an official record.    

Message 16 of 16
latest reply