Ebay vendor in Turkey says paypal no longer operates in that country - any alternatives?

A couple of months ago I tried to purchase a small electronic gadget from a vendor in Turkey.  The check-out process did not complete because paypal said there is an issue with the vendor's account.  I did some web-searches on the exact error and found really only one plausible  answer posted about the problem - that the vendor's ebay and paypal email addresses did not match.  I sent the vendor a message about me not being able to make the purchase and the possible reason, and left it at that.   A month or two goes by and I get a response from the vendor saying that paypal has suspended operations in Turkey, but he'd still like to go ahead and sell me the stuff.  I'm in the early stages now of figuring out if this can work.

Likely nobody here knows if paypal does or doesn't work in Turkey, but post an answer if you do know.

I know that paypal and ebay are supposed to part ways soon, - what is the replacement going to be? 

Is there anything I can use right now to deal with this vendor?   Total purchase is going to be around $50 USD.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Ebay vendor in Turkey says paypal no longer operates in that country - any alternatives?

PayPal got kicked out of Turkey almost 5 years ago.

If the seller is listing on ebay (and in Managed Payments) there should be no problem buying from him.

One of the alternatives: Wise.com (was TransferWise until it got renamed a few months ago) -- provides cheap rates to move money between currencies.

-.-

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Here's an update on this.  I had the item in question in my watch list for months now, and yesterday got some sort of notification about it.  So I went to the listing, it said more than 10 available, 1 sold.  Ok, I'll order 2, I did the confirm and pay, the paypal came up and then went away, and ebay says the order is confirmed.  I'm looking today at my purchase history list and see this item is there, but it says "Your payment is pending." Hmm, I wonder how this is going to play out.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@sonometrics wrote:

Here's an update on this.  I had the item in question in my watch list for months now, and yesterday got some sort of notification about it.  So I went to the listing, it said more than 10 available, 1 sold.  Ok, I'll order 2, I did the confirm and pay, the paypal came up and then went away, and ebay says the order is confirmed.  I'm looking today at my purchase history list and see this item is there, but it says "Your payment is pending." Hmm, I wonder how this is going to play out.

You may want to go to the PayPal help area and contact PayPal directly. They would be able to confirm status of this payment and/or how you should proceed.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 4
latest reply