Feedback

sken3075
Community Member

I have been a customer of ebay.ca for years.  I recently had a glimse into the feedback system on ebay and now I will not be a customer any longer.

I purchased an auto part from a seller on ebay.  I was told it was a working part.  My mechanic spent 3 hours installing and trying to program this part and it was defective.

ebay and the seller returned the cost of the part but I spent $300 in labor to the technician for nothing.  I asked for the cost and I sent the bill with the explanation from the technician. Nothing happened.  I contacted ebay and they forwarded a message from me asking for a working part or the $300. nothing. I threatened to leave negative feedback(my only ammunition) ...nothing.

I left negative feedback warning other sellers that I was sold a defective part.  Ebay removed and now the seller has 100% positive feedback.

I guess the feedback system is corrupt.  I cannot trust ebay now so they will never get another penny from me.

I don't know where this is going but I will keep finding ways to send out negative feedback.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Feedback

Feedback is not used by eBay as a measure of selling accounts.

You did use it correctly to warn future buyers. If you mentioned a Dispute or used vulgar language or some other particular terms, feedback will be removed.

The most effective feedback is calm and factual.

I don't understand how you handled the Not As Described item.

My mechanic spent 3 hours installing and trying to program this part

I gather you did not use the Resolution Centre and a Not As Described Dispute.

It sounds as if your mechanic may have substantially changed the part. Unfortunately that would render it unsaleable and not eligible for the Money Back Guarantee.

If he had looked at it, told you it was defective and stopped right there, it could be returned.

In that case the seller would be required to refund you the entire purchase price plus return shipping.

Allowing the mechanic to attempt to install it meant that the seller was actually being helpful in refunding the purchase price (without shipping costs).

It was your decision to allow the mechanic to continue work on the part.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Feedback

It's possible that you would not be able to tell if an item was defective until it was fully installed. If the wrong part was ordered, then it would become a buyers mistake. Labeled improperly/inaccurately the seller's mistake.

-CM

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Feedback

Did you file a Not as Described Claim? Feedback isn’t removed unless it violates the terms and conditions, or the buyer loses a claim.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Feedback

Also, the seller cannot be held liable for what you paid someone else to do. This is probably the reason your feedback was removed. If you said, “Give me $300 or I’ll leave you negative feedback!” that’s considered extortion. It violates the terms and conditions of the Feedback Forum. Asking the seller for $300 is just as likely to succeed as asking your mechanic to refund you $300. I’ve spent thousands of dollars on vehicle repair over the years where troubleshooting didn’t actually fix the problem. Mechanics do the work, they get paid regardless of whether the car is fixed when you drive away. Sort of like doctors. My doctor gets paid whether I live or die.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Feedback

I do, however, sympathize with you. But if you’d bought the part from Canadian Tire, and felt it was defective, they’d refund your purchase price only. They wouldn’t give you $300 to pay your mechanic of choice because the part didn’t work. They might, if you pushed hard enough, give you a $50 goodwill gift card as a gesture and the same goes for eBay. If your account is in good standing and you can demonstrate you are a valuable customer and not someone who’s only shopped here four times in ten years, eBay Customer Service might offer you some sort of consolation for your trouble. If you are polite about it. No guarantees. Your mileage may vary.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Feedback

As Mo mentioned, threatening to give negative feedback unless you received something that was not in the listing ($300) is grounds for feedback removal.  I do understand why you are frustrated and upset however I can't imagine any company paying a buyer $300 that had been paid to a third party.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Feedback

The buyer was refunded for the part so they probably did use the resolution center but they also wanted to be refunded for the mechanic fees that they spent trying to make the part fit.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Feedback

I reread it, but it's still unclear.

OP may feel under attack because we didn't go all 'poor widdle baby' on him.

I had the impression the seller told him to ship it back , on his own dime, and then refunded only the selling price. The Canadian Tire solution, if you will.

I guess if it were returned as  Buyer Remorse, then eBay would allow the partial refund.

I find the current Buyer Remorse/ Not As Described  situation confusing.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply