Free shipping from India was not free

m3399
Community Member

I bought an item from India and it was supposed to be FREE shipping.

The seller decided to use DHL as a courier instead of regular post office mailing.

They stated STANDARD FREE SHIPPNG,but shipped express,by courier which I did not ask for.

When I got the package I had to pay $24 at the door.

I agree that I have to pay duties and taxes of about $8.00 for a value of 39 CAD,but not the extra fees for shipping and handling by the courier.

Had they shipped FREE STANDARD (which would be by mail), I would have maybe paid dutie and taxes but nothing more.That would be free shipping.

I asked them to refund the extra fees and sent them a copy of the proof of pay and now they are asking me to wait until they check with their logistics.

How can I get the refund for this extra fees?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

@m3399 wrote:

I bought an item from India and it was supposed to be FREE shipping.

The seller decided to use DHL as a courier instead of regular post office mailing.

They stated STANDARD FREE SHIPPNG,but shipped express,by courier which I did not ask for.

When I got the package I had to pay $24 at the door.

I agree that I have to pay duties and taxes of about $8.00 for a value of 39 CAD,but not the extra fees for shipping and handling by the courier.

Had they shipped FREE STANDARD (which would be by mail), I would have maybe paid dutie and taxes but nothing more.That would be free shipping.

You didn't pay anything extra for shipping -- DHL / UPS / FedEx / Canada Post all charge fees for processing customs clearance. The Canada Post fee would have been $9.95 for processing. You paid $4.80 more than if Canada Post had handled the transaction.

If the listing does not indicate how it is being shipped (and STANDARD does not indicate anything) you ask the seller what shipper they use before buying. Otherwise you get surprises like this.

-..-

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I agree that 'standard' just means 'this is the way we usually do it".

And as you noted, you understand that there is duty and sales tax on any import valued over $20CDN(~$16USD).

I would contact the seller first, and politely let them know about the high DHL charges on your doorstep. (Not the duty and tax, those are always your responsibility.)

It is probable that your seller chose DHL because they are fast and secure. Couriers don't tell their customers what happens when the shipment gets to its destination.

It won't help you (probably), but it may make the seller rethink their 'standard' practice.

Don't leave feedback until you have a response.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

You cannot expect to be refunded for import fees or handling charges unless the shipper made an error with the declared value of the item.

Those fees are to be expected on any purchase over the $20 de minimus for import by mail.

The best you can do is inform the seller that their courier of choice has a high brokerage fee, and eliminate that particular seller from your list of buy-forms. 

It's an expensive lesson but one only you pay for, sorry. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Very simple solution here:

Tell the courier delivery person you have no cash, interac, cheques or credit card on hand and he/she will take it to their pickup location for pickup/payment. Go to the courier's pickup location (after confirming the item is now there by calling them) and tell them you need the appropriate forms to take to Canada customs as you are brokering your own package. Take those documents to your nearest Canada customs location and pay them the pst and gst on your item (8% + 5% in Manitoba) then return to the courier's pickup location with the new document from Canada customs and they have to release your item to you at no cost whatsoever.

Once you have payed the blackmail to the courier you will not be getting it back.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Yes, doing your own customs brokerage is always an option.

But also consider the value of your time.

Here in BC that 17 cents a minute.

How long will you spend (at 17 cents a minute) driving around , waiting for paperwork, doing paperwork, etc?

Those brokerage fees always seem outrageous until we have to do the work ourselves.

Which is why I didn't install two toilets in my house last week. I've done it before and it is cheaper and faster to have a real plumber do it.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Yes, doing your own customs brokerage is always an option.

But also consider the value of your time.

Here in BC that 17 cents a minute.

How long will you spend (at 17 cents a minute) driving around , waiting for paperwork, doing paperwork, etc?

Those brokerage fees always seem outrageous until we have to do the work ourselves.

Which is why I didn't install two toilets in my house last week. I've done it before and it is cheaper and faster to have a real plumber do it.

Minimum general wage in BC is $10.85 an hour. This is 18 cents a minute.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/employment-standards-advice/employment-standar...

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Wrong.At free shipping they have to pay the broker.

I got refunded.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

At free shipping the buyer doesn't need to pay a broker.I got refunded.
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Way to complicated.Thanks anyway.
I got refunded.
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

At free shipping only taxes are due to pay by the buyer.Anything else,the seller has to pay.
Got my refund.
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Got my refund.
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

If eBay refunded you, they did so from courtesy. Please show a link to policy here that supports your assertion free shipping means no duty or handling/brokerage fees. That's simply not the case and although I understand you are upset because you assumed you were in the right, other buyers will be misinformed.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

It's impossible to separate duty from a handling or brokerage fee because any carrier that collects taxes on import for the buyer must also charge for that service. Most of us who replied are experienced users in a position to know.

If eBay refunded you, it was to mollify you. Not because you were right to be angry. Still, congratulations on getting refunded.
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

If eBay refunded you, it was to mollify you. Not because you were right to be angry. Still, congratulations on getting refunded.

Agree completely.  There's also the possibility that the CSR dealing with this issue was a little on the clueless side.

It's been the case since eBay day one that buyers are responsible for paying any taxes, duty and associated customs fees on an item, no matter what the shipping method or cost, unless the buyer and seller have worked something out themselves prior to the close of the sale.

I tend to avoid sellers who use "standard" shipping to Canada because there's no way to determine the shipping method and how taxes/duties are handled if the seller doesn't provide this information.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply