Got Suckered

I said I would not do this again and did.

Bought a vintage radio from the States - Price - $39.99 US

Listing said the Shipping would be $32.00

When I went to pay, the Global was just over $7.00 -  which I thought was not too bad

HOW SO EVER - the PayPal receipt said as follows:

Radio item - 39.99

Shipping - $14.82

Total $54.81

Import Fee - GET THIS - $25.02

This is an outright FRAUD

The Import Fee was $25.02 and was never mentioned in the listing - the cost was buried in the Shipping when the actual shipping is only $14.00. The Global Fee was not $7.00. How is this possible?  These are tactics used by scummy dirt bags. They are not up front with the costs - I just don't see how they can get away with this. What ever happened to ethics.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Got Suckered

39.99+32.00+7.00 = 78.99

versus

39.99+14.82+25.02 = 79.83

Difference of 84 cents

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Got Suckered

That does not sound right at all.

The import fees are normally Canadian duty (what is that on vintage radios?) the sales taxes charged in your province and a service fee of ~$5US that goes to GSP/Pitney Bowes.

The $39.99 (~$50USD) is over our duty-free allowance of $20Cdn.

EBay is erratic on charging the GSP import fees.

Sometimes they split them into the seller fee for shipping to Erlanger KY and sometimes that is folded into the import fees.

But I think.... hmmm.... are all those numbers in US dollars? Because $32Cdn is about $24US.

Which means the seller's shipping fee more than doubled. No reason why-- unless that fee was rejiggered by the relatively new USPS dimensional shipping, which I totally fail to understand.

The GSP is absolutely horrible at making their fee structure transparent. They use a few different methods to show their work instead of settling on a single system.
It almost wouldn't matter what the system was, as long as it was always the same.

Another thought-- The GSP is not usable by businesses buying for resale because they don't make the various fees a line item.

When you look at the bottom line of the advertised listing we see $78.99US

When we look at what you actually paid we see $79.83US.

Not consistently using the same bookkeeping is the core problem, since the 84c difference is not all that huge.  (I don't understand where it crept in though.)

Horrible system that doesn't treat Canadian buyers as intelligent beings.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Got Suckered

Slightly less since ross said the GSP was "slightly over" $7.00.

Still.

Messy bookkeeping.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Got Suckered

I’m guessing—somewhat wildly—that the difference in the totals has something to do with the exchange rate applied to the Canadian shipping charge was different in the listing than it was at checkout. The Loonie has had a bit of a rough ride recently.
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Got Suckered

It was in US dollars  - I paid $111.00 Canadian and change

You are overthinking it. The cost was not on the listing - it was hidden in the total shipping plus the $7.00. I did not get the cost breakdown until I got the bill from PayPal which listed everything. Pintney Bowes Got $25 US bucks. So i paid the seller to to ship to Pitney Bowes and I paid Pitney Bowes and probable eBay $25.

I let the seller know this and he did not have a clue - he was also shocked at the amount charged and said he could do much better. He also said he would think about not using the Global Shipping Program.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Got Suckered

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

39.99+32.00+7.00 = 78.99

versus

Difference of 84 cents

You are not quite getting the pint are you?

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Got Suckered

@rosscd57 wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

39.99+32.00+7.00 = 78.99

versus

You are not quite getting the pint are you?

Buyer gets $14.82 for shipping and Pitney Bowes GSP gets $17.18 for shipping out of that $32 total promised shipping cost.  The usual shell game.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Got Suckered

@ypdc_dennis 

Out of curiosity so does the US seller only pay FVF's for shipping on the 14.82 or the full amount?

-Lotz

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Got Suckered

@rosscd57 wrote:

It was in US dollars  - I paid $111.00 Canadian and change

You are overthinking it. The cost was not on the listing - it was hidden in the total shipping plus the $7.00. I did not get the cost breakdown until I got the bill from PayPal which listed everything. Pintney Bowes Got $25 US bucks. So i paid the seller to to ship to Pitney Bowes and I paid Pitney Bowes and probable eBay $25.

I let the seller know this and he did not have a clue - he was also shocked at the amount charged and said he could do much better. He also said he would think about not using the Global Shipping Program.

I think I found the listing you purchased.  I just had a look at it and all charges relating to import and shipping are there...

Item cost    -  $39.99usd

Shipping     -  $29.60usd

Duties         -  $10.84usd

Total            - $80.43usd

exchange

rate x 1.4      - $ 112.60

Are you saying this total wasn't available to you before purchase?

To compare, if you had purchased this item in Canada (assuming it was available at all) for the same price, by the time you had it shipped to you and paid GST/HST you probably would be in for a similar amount.

Ian

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Got Suckered

@lotzofuniquegoodies 

...does the US seller only pay FVF's for shipping...

Only on the amount he charged.

The Global Shipping Program is a Seller Protection option.

The seller only ships to Erlanger KY, the other expenses and responsibilities are handled by GSP.

The seller is not charged a fee on those "import fees" which cover applicable duty, GST/PST/HST, and  a ~$5USD service charge. The first two parts go to the Canadian government and the last to GSP/Pitney Bowes.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Got Suckered

Here is a cut and paste of the PayPal reciept - does not match does it? Make sure you read it all the way down to the bottom. There is no customs they are charging brokerage fees for doing nothing.

Description Unit Price Quantity Amount

EMERSON OLD ANTIQUE WOOD TUBE RADIO - FOR PARTS OR REPAIR

$39.99 USD

$39.99 USD

Shipping and handling $14.82 USD     Total
$54.81 USD     Payment
$54.81 USD         Need to contact the seller? Log in to your eBay account or click on the link in your purchase email from eBay to see your order details. For more help, visit the eBay Resolution Centre.

International Shipping and Import Charge

A separate payment was sent to this global shipping company to ship your package and to clear customs. Learn more.

Total international shipping and import charge $25.02 USD

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Got Suckered

No it was not - the easy way to check is is to buy from US up to the time you hit the PayPal button. The listing will still be there when you back out . I have done this a few times just to check - they are hiding the the total fees and not letting you see the total fee structure until you have already paid.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Got Suckered

I'm in Alberta so it does not affect me much.

My beef is with the false information in the listing and that is not the fault of the seller. It is the way eBay has set up their listing process.

BUT

Wana know what's worse? I just found out the are sending it Fed Ex. So now I will likely have to pay Brokerage Fees. I will never do this  again.

AND

Buy the way, I don't for a moment believe that eBay is not taking a cut of this.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Got Suckered

You seem to be looking at the $25 as all import fees but it is the total paid to PB and includes the international portion of the shipping. 

The seller received the $14+ for shipping from their location to the global shipping center.

The rest of the $32 (about $17) that the listing advertised for shipping cost is for the international portion from Kentucky to your location.   If it is going to cost the seller almost $15 to ship it from their location it isn't unreasonable for it to cost about $17 for the international portion. Your PP account should confirm that the item price plus $14+ was paid to the seller so it only stands to reason that the portion paid to Pitney Bowes includes the international shipping portion.

If you go to the listing and to the shipping tab, enter a Erlanger, Kentucky zip and click on get rate and the rate for domestic buyers in Kentucky is $14+.

The $7 fee that they charge is probably gst and the handling fee that they charge or is just the handling fee.  They do handle and process the package through customs so that isn't totally unreasonable although that amount can really hurt on an inexpensive purchase.

You're saying that the seller is shipping Fedex? They would be shipping just to the gsp center so that has nothing to do with the carrier that PB will use.  As far as I know, the carrier usually changes after the packages reaches the depot in Canada too.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

Got Suckered

marnotom!
Community Member

@rosscd57 wrote:

Bought a vintage radio from the States - Price - $39.99 US

Listing said the Shipping would be $32.00

When I went to pay, the Global was just over $7.00 -  which I thought was not too bad

PayPal receipt said as follows:

Radio item - 39.99

Shipping - $14.82

Total $54.81

Import Fee - GET THIS - $25.02

This is an outright FRAUD

The Import Fee was $25.02 and was never mentioned in the listing - the cost was buried in the Shipping when the actual shipping is only $14.00. The Global Fee was not $7.00. How is this possible?  These are tactics used by scummy dirt bags. They are not up front with the costs - I just don't see how they can get away with this. What ever happened to ethics.

I'm probably just going to end up repeating what everyone else has said here.  I'm not sure you understand that as a forwarding service, the Global Shipping Program levies a fee for shipping items from Kentucky to their destination as well as import charges (which is what I assume you mean by "global charges").

You don't seem to be complaining that the amount shown for shipping on your PayPal receipt is less than what was shown in the listing.  That's because that amount is what the seller is charging for shipping the item from their location to the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky.  The badly named "import fee" field on your PayPal receipt is the import charges as stated in the listing plus Pitney Bowes' charge for shipping the item from Kentucky to you.

$25.02 - $7.37 = $17.65, the Global Shipping Program's actual shipping charge.

$17.65 + $14.82 (Seller's Shipping Charge) = $32.47, the shipping amount I see on the listing page.

You're still getting charged the $7.37 in import charges on the listing page.  It's just that, for whatever reason, PayPal didn't give a proper name to the total charges that Pitney Bowes is levying for the sale.

I do hope for your sake that the confusion over these charges hasn't led to your seller shipping the item directly to you by FedEx instead of just to the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Got Suckered

@rosscd57 wrote:

Wana know what's worse? I just found out the are sending it Fed Ex. So now I will likely have to pay Brokerage Fees. I will never do this  again.

If it is being shipped via GSP there should be NO additional fees (brokerage or anything else).  That is the GSP promise -- which you can go after them if it is broken.

Most likely FedEx is from the seller to the GSP center, then shipping method will change.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Got Suckered

Has the radio arrived in Erlanger yet?

If the FedEx tracking shows that it has, then don't worry about brokerage.

The seller was using FedEx domestically.

If it has moved on from Erlanger, and crossed into Canada, GSP/Pitney Bowes might be using FedExCanada for the final leg of the journey.

Again this is domestic, so there will be no further costs.

The worry would be that the seller goofed, big time, and shipped directly to you using FedEx as the shipping service and customs broker. While that is not what GSP was set up to avoid (it's a Seller Protection program) an unexpected result of GSP shipping is avoiding those horrendous brokerage fees.

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Got Suckered

Yep it has arrived there thanks for the info.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply