Has eBay become the Wild West?

I have been on eBay for 20 years, buying and selling.  I have 100% positive feedback, and have never once had a problem.  Until this year.

This year, I have issues with several sellers - items not shipped, problems with returns.  The eBay make-right process is slow and cumbersome, involving multiple steps, repeated actions from me, and considerable delay.  (I contrast this with Amazon returns - a few clicks, and I have a return label and a refund.  No muss, no fuss.)  The ecosystem seems to be infested with people trying to make a million drop shipping from Amazon.

It is getting to the point where I am leery about buying on eBay except for one-of-a-kind items (e.g. vintage auto parts).  For any current, branded article, Amazon looks safer.

My question to the community is this:  Is my (admittedly anecdotal) experience the general experience, or have I just hit a string of bad sellers?  Why does eBay not make returns/refunds more painless?

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Has eBay become the Wild West?

Becoming, no. Well, I'd say it started out as and is becoming not. But right now because of the pandemic things are a bit messed up with shipping and there are definitely a few desperate people resorting to desperate means to get money.

Criminals will always seek and hide under the cloak of chaos. It's a perfect disguise. 

Message 2 of 2
latest reply