How lenient should i be with this seller?

I bought two items from a Canadian seller over 3 weeks ago. They were listed as being shipped "regular parcel", but no tracking was entered.

At the 3 week mark, i sent a message to the seller saying i hadn't received my item, asking for tracking. It took 2 days for a response saying "he'd have to check with his shipper". I another 2 days - nothing. I ask again. Over 24 hours later, he confirms he checked with "Canada Post" and his "shipper" and items were shipped on the date indicated, but didn't provide tracking. It's feasible they were sent lettermail, but he didn't disclose this.

He also never once apologized...just "thanks for your patience ".

He didn't offer me the option of a refund vs. resending - just said he'd be resending.

This guy sells a lot with perfect feedback.

I sell stuff too and I'd NEVER be this slow or callous about a missing package and a wait of over 3 weeks. I also always make sure i respond within 24 hours to all buyer messages.

I've have never felt the need to leave negative feedback in YEARS (and as a seller myself, I'm quite sympathetic to the damage it can do) but MY GOD this seller really ticked me off!

Think this is a bad seller or just a busy seller?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

marnotom!
Community Member
Just wondering what a tracking number would accomplish in the long run.

Would you deal with this seller any differently if you knew your item was last scanned in Mississauga, Iqaluit or Shanghai?

To my thinking, a not-received item is a not-received item, tracked or untracked, although if your item shows a delivery scan, that complicates matters for you.

As has been suggested earlier, take the necessary actions to recover your payment if the item hasn’t arrived by the last estimated delivery date and pay the seller again should it arrive after that and it’s in the condition stated by the seller in the listing.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

mcrlmn
Community Member
Based on your experience with this seller, if you haven't received your purchase after eBay's estimated delivery date, I'd open an item not received case.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I would not get upset and treat it calmly. I would not believe the item was being resent. I would open a Item Not Received case after the last estimated date arrives. Get your money back and don’t believe the item is resent. Have this case close properly. Then buy again preferably from another seller or from this seller again. 

If the item eventually arrives you can pay them. Of course if you already bought the item again you could see if the seller wants it back and will pay for its return.

Just do not let your buyer protection expire on eBay. I know you have longer with PayPal 180 day protection. 

I would not leave any feedback for as long as possible. When you do just put unemotional positive or neutral comment that item was not received and money refunded. 

Doing the above protects you, may warn others if this is an issue with this seller, does not harm the seller if beyond his control (maybe the Coronavirus is affecting him or his suppliers or his shipping method). 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Over 24 hours later, he confirms he checked with "Canada Post" and his "shipper" and items were shipped on the date indicated, but didn't provide tracking.

I would ask politely for the tracking number.

If I didn't get that, nothing else just the number, I would open the Not Received Dispute right away.

Frankly, it sounds to me as if he is unwilling to admit that it is taking his Chinese supplier a long time to get the (untracked) purchase on to the boat.

And of course, refunds never replacements.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Just wondering what a tracking number would accomplish in the long run.

Would you deal with this seller any differently if you knew your item was last scanned in Mississauga, Iqaluit or Shanghai?

To my thinking, a not-received item is a not-received item, tracked or untracked, although if your item shows a delivery scan, that complicates matters for you.

As has been suggested earlier, take the necessary actions to recover your payment if the item hasn’t arrived by the last estimated delivery date and pay the seller again should it arrive after that and it’s in the condition stated by the seller in the listing.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I do not sell on Ebay but I do sell and have customers in the U.S.A. as well as other countries. My experience has been that most of my packages arrive at their destination within 7 -10 business days of shipping. Occasionally, usually during winter storms or disruptions at the border I have had packages delayed 3 - 4 weeks. However, I "always" keep in contact with my customers via email . I have given refunds because of long delays but people have been honest and do pay upon arrival of their purchase. Touch wood, I have only had one or two situations where the package did not arrive either to me or to a customer, where in each case a refund was given immediately upon request.

I am not sure what has happened in your case, but as others have stated follow-up with Ebay once the last arrival date has expired. Do not accept that they are "resending" your purchase.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply