How to get a new seller to send a Return Shipping Label?

I bought some jewelry (4 lots) from a new seller in Alberta Canada.  It was poorly packed & most in bad condition.  So I initiated a return on all the items.  I rarely ship items back & usually just take the loss.  The seller accepted the returns but has not sent the return shipping label.  She just put her address on all the return requests.  I don't think she knows that she has to pay for it.  If I want eBay to step in to help, I can't do it till July 6th.  Seems silly to wait for a week. I have the parcel ready to ship back now.  Not sure what to do.  I am wondering if I should just pay for the return myself with a tracking number? 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Does your seller accept returns with free shipping? I accept returns, but my buyers have to pay for it.

Perhaps you started a return for items not as described? In which case, your seller owes you a label.

Did you try contacting the seller to clarify?
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

You can pay for the return shipping. Your seller will not be required to refund that cost.

You can wait a week and open the Dispute, forcing her to send the Return Shipping Label.

Which is cheaper?

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Update: Seller sent money to ship items back through PayPal. So have printed up a label with tracking & will send off today.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Good stuff.  I hope it is a learning experience for them.  

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Update: Seller received the 4 jewelry lots jewelry back yesterday & now is claiming I removed pieces & added other pieces to the lot. I sent all the jewelry back nicely bagged as she had thrown them all together in the box.  She has opened a case against me. I am really upset as I have always been fair & honest in my 20 years of selling on eBay. I feel my reputation is being attacked.  I see that eBay has sent me 2 courtesy refunds for only a small portion of the total.  But I am out over $50.00. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Respond to the Dispute.

If you don't, it will close in the Seller's favour.

I know you know that, but these threads are read by many more than just the posters.

And it's business, not personal.

Even if you should lose the Dispute, no one but you and the seller will know. You won't be able to leave FB of course.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. I just did a live chat with eBay & they have refunded me everything. The seller is sending me harassing e-mails implying I am a liar & thief.  Hard not to take it personally especially when I am very honest.  I have put the seller on my blocked list.  I think I can leave feedback but I will have to decide if I want to do that or not.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@2nd-time-around-jewelry, sorry to read that you're being harrassed by the seller.

In your original post you wrote "I don't think she knows that she has to pay for it."

A newbie question for you or other experienced sellers:  Do ebay sellers have to accept returns and prepay return postage?

Of the 47 ebay items I bought over the past three months only 3 had free returns.  13 accepted returns with the buyer paying return costs, and 31 clearly stated 'No Returns Accepted'.

I assumed that if I returned one of the 3 items the seller would refund my purchase cost & return postage after the return was received.  In the case of the 31 NRA's I assumed I was SOL if there was a problem.

Are those assumptions wrong?

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

A no return policy means the seller does not have to accept 'buyers remorse' returns.  So if the size 8 shoes you ordered don't fit or you changed your mind, found a better price etc., the seller with no returns does not have to accept the return.   But if the seller sent you the wrong item, item was broken in transit, wasn't as described etc.  the seller has to either accept the return and pay for return shipping or refund without requiring a return.  That applies regardless of the sellers return policy.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

If a buyer opens a Not As Described claim, the seller has to accept the return even if the seller say No Returns Accepted & they have to pay for the return shipping. If a seller doesn't respond, eBay can step in & refund the item & shipping from the seller's account back to the buyer & the buyer can keep the item without sending it back.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I assumed that if I returned one of the 3 items the seller would refund my purchase cost & return postage after the return was received.

If you pay for the return shipping, in the absence of a Dispute, the seller has no enforceable obligation to pay for the return shipping.

If there is a Dispute, eBay normally instructs the seller to send Return Shipping. The buyer rarely pays for this. Once the return is delivered, the refund is made.

In the case of the 31 NRA's I assumed I was SOL if there was a problem.

No.

The seller can have a No Returns policy but not a No Refunds policy.

And "SOL" is the reason that a No Returns policy can backfire. If the customer thinks the seller will not be helpful if there is a problem, she will move on to a seller with more friendly terms. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply